News: Rapids sign Stefan Aigner

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Better if that was the 'Quakes stadium with tomorrow being match day and all?

3. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't that The Cone's old number? :eek:

JasonMa repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    I'm assuming Aigner is on his way back to Germany and a visit to the US embassy in Berlin or consulate in Munich. It seems like the P1 visa process is never quick so are we talking about him being in training with the Rapids in about two to three weeks.

Whether or not he makes much of a difference in the attack we'll have to wait and see and perhaps won't really know until late this season. Regardless, when you look at what other teams are doing in terms of moves it seems the Rapids are treading water, not making progress. So if they think that Aigner signing is enough for me to sanction a renewal of my season tickets they are mistaken.

On the other hand, if there are other moves coming, and that could be trades that improve the attack while making sure the defense is solid then I may be tempted.

Back to Aigner, if he can help with speed of play he'll be an asset. It seems that the Rapids attack - at least at home - has improved in recent months with the addition of Saeid and the 4-4-2. So anyone that can ratchet up the tempo with quick, positive passes that break line of the defense is going to make a difference.

5. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Should be plenty of time for next year. 2018 Pre-season is on track for a push for that last playoff spot (in 2018)!

COMtnGuy, kucsdat, fortcollins and 2 others repped this.
  6. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Accurate jokes are always the best.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith was on the podcast this week and well, I'm not hopeful. He talked how "The addition of Stefan is part of a bigger plan that won’t be finished right now. It will go on into the January transfer window as well.".

You know, that winter window that, according to him on a prior podcast, is so hard to sign players in because its the middle of the season everywhere else (where "everywhere" is defined as the 4-5 leagues in Europe the Rapids have loaded into their Football Manager game alongside MLS)

COMtnGuy, jayd8888, kucsdat and 2 others repped this.
  8. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  9. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Interesting quote from the Denver Post article:

"As Stefan said, they were a group of incredibly talented individual players but not a team" (Smith)

Coaching matters. Seems like last year the Rapids were a team that played above their station. Other years, not so sure.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  10. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Donald Trump has a new Chief of Staff?

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just now during the LA-Seattle game they talked about J. Dos Santos' P-1 visa process. He leaves Monday to go back to Mexico to apply for his visa which he expects to take 2-3 days and he hopes to be available for LA's game next weekend.

Germany and Mexico may not have exactly the same processes but I can't believe Aigner's P-1 should take much longer than dos Santos'. so I would expect him to be available next week, the following week at worst (fitness/altitude allowing).

12. kucsdat

kucsdat Member

Jul 12, 2012
    It doesn't matter which country he applies for a visa from. He just needs to go abroad (as in outside of the U.S.) to apply for his visa. Mexico is close & same time zone ... sort of.

JasonMa repped this.
  13. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fitness will be why he probably plays in under 6 games this "pre-season"

JasonMa repped this.
  14. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody know how to pronounce his last name? Keep wanting to say "Anger" but that's not how it's spelled.

15. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    German pronunciation would be EYE-gnair.

rapidogordo and SccrDon repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently in today's Rapids podcast Pablo was tempering expectations for Aigner. So much for our big push after the summer window.

fortcollins and COMtnGuy repped this.
  17. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Oh no. First start in September.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Yup - Getting ready for 2018. No surprised he won't start till September as he has to get back to Colorado and get fit.

fortcollins repped this.
  19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad, it was actually in the Vic Lombardi show interview on Wednesday, not the Rapids podcast. Now that I've listened to it I wouldn't say he downplayed him too much though. He did say his play would be based on his fitness but I think we all knew that, otherwise there wasn't any sort of lowering of expectations.

jayd8888 and COMtnGuy repped this.
  20. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope 2018, could be 2019+ at rate they are "improving" the team currently. It's been over a year since we added any real talent, but have gotten rid of some for sure.

21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Is that playing for Argentina?

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When will Aigner actually play? Him in the lineup might be enough to get me out to Dick's to watch another match in person.

23. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Wouldn't it just be hilarious if it turned out that he was actually worse than Boateng.

IndyRapids04 and JasonMa repped this.
  24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next Zat Knight?

25. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whats it's worth, I chatted with Cooke about Aigner prior to the Salt Lake match. He told me that Aigner's fitness was coming along well, and it's expected he'll be in the 18 by this Saturday.

The club has opted to be patient about having him match ready. When he was at 1860, they rushed him into the squad before he was fully fit and he ended up missing a large portion of the season due to injury as a result. They are letting him take his time and letting him make the call on when he's ready and match fit.

SccrDon, JasonMa and Rod1916 repped this.