PBP: Rapids @ Red Bulls • Fraser Era #1 • 5 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Aug 31, 2019.

1. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 fortcollins, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Bodmer Line: 13/6 = 2.167 PPG (points needed to snag last playoff spot at 43 point average divided by games remaining). Slim, fat, and . . .

Kroenke Line: no longer in play. (maximum points that can be earned to win the average Wooden Spoon at just over 26 points).

Hudson Line: = no longer in play. (PPG needed to become the worst team in MLS history. The record is 16 points, still held by D.C. United (3-24-7 in 2013). All teams are over 16 points now.)

Rapids: 8-14-6, with 30 points in 28 matches = 1.071 PPG, on pace for 36 points for the season, after completing the worst first third of a season (2 points) in MLS history.

Rapids: surrendering 1.929 goals per match (54 goals in 28 matches) on pace to surrender 65.5 goals for the season. The current MLS record is 74 goals allowed (Orlando City, 2018). The Rapids would have to surrender 3.500 goals per match the rest of the season (21 goals in 6 games) to be the worst defensive team in MLS history.

Coaching comparison:
    Hudson: 0-7-2, 2 points, 0.181 PPG in 9 matches. 12 GF (1.333 avg), 24 GA (2.667 avg), Diff = -12
    Casey: 7-7-4, 25 points, 1.389 PPG in 18 matches. 31 GF (1.722 avg), 30 GA (1.667 avg), Diff = +1
    Fraser: 1-0-0, 3 points, 3.000 PPG in 1 match. 2 GF (2.000 avg), 0 GA (0.000 avg), Diff = +2

Never forget: Hudson’s all-time Rapids MLS regular season record: 43 matches as head coach, 8-26-9 record, 0.767 PPG; 48 GF (1.116 avg), 87 GA (2.023 avg), -39 differential.

Soaker888 and TheWarmBurger repped this.
  2. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids win!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22SteveD, Rod1916, Sports Yak and 2 others repped this.
  3. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    Sounds like an amazing game. Impressive debut and road win for Fraser with a depleted squad.

.......Would’ve been REALLY nice to have been able to actually watch. It.

Thanks KSE.

Centennial repped this.
  4. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  5. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Don't feel bad Huddy, you're still in the top 3 of Rapids 2019 coaches!

I am glad to see the Rapids' luck is still with them. Boy did they withstand a barrage of shots.

Nice to see an adjustment to start the 2nd half, that seemed to help quite a bit. For much of the 1st half, NYRB seemed to be living in the final 3rd.

fortcollins and JasonMa repped this.
  6. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Some thoughts on the match which surprised me in a good way -

The Rapids' possession in the second half was pretty darn good. And this without Kamara and his hold up play. Really thought that the 'Pids would have a hard time doing so without Kamara's assistance. It made a difference in the outcome of the match.

It also seemed that the Rapids were in better condition which which also made a difference.

Shots on goal were 6-4 Rapids with the Rapids blocking 5 shots.

It didn't look like the Rapids really ever were in a 3-5-1. Apparently - according to 'Celo - Frazer made an adjustment when he saw Red Bull formation pre-match.

Frazer looked to have made some adjustments at the half which cut down on the Red Bulls' ability to create chances. And again, the ability to hold possession made a big difference. Not often we have seen that this season.

It will be interesting to see what Frazer does next week Rubio, Kamara, Anderson and Bassett unavailable.

fortcollins, Andy126 and Sports Yak repped this.
  7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I missed the game to watch CU volleyball. Both won, but one was a surprise.

I guess there is coach bump #2. No one could have predicted a shutout.

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    I will say this. Heck of a game by the rapids tonight. Getting out of there with a clean sheet was a nice stroke of luck.

But.

It was also nice to see tactical answers to what was happening on the field!!

If this is how we play without 3 starters in key positions, then sign me up for the Fraser bandwagon should he keep this up.

Andy126 repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Wait til they fire Fraser, the next guy will average 4 points/game and the Rapids will make the playoffs!

10. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Forgot to give kudos to Lewis for his finishing. Others could have taken a lesson from him tonight ;).

Seriously, he really took advantage of the few opportunities that were presented.

He now has 5 goals and 2 assists in 735 minutes with the Rapids.

11. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like we'll get to see how well Fraser can manage changes next Saturday. No Kamara, Rubio, Anderson or Bassett for selection - IIRC. Of course Acosta will be available again and Shinyashiki most likely will see some time.

TheWarmBurger and JasonMa repped this.
  12. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pinch me........2-0, on the road, vs. a good team.......

I guess they gave up on that "the Rapids Way" crap?

R

fortcollins repped this.
  13. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the new "Rapids Way" because we've turned the corner.....

14. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's always a corner to turn.

Sports Yak repped this.
  15. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did. We're actually scoring goals this year!

The last (and only time since the shootout era) the Rapids scored 45 goals in a season was 2013. There's still 6 games left to beat that.

16. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    For someone who didn't see 90% of the game--we left after Lewis scored--it is almost unfathomable that the Rapids would not only win, but get a shut out. Acosta/Abu out and Anderson in did not look good on paper from the defensive side of the pitch.

Really, I can't envision what happened. And it sounds like it wasn't five shot off the crossbar and posts, which can happen in soccer. Pleasant surprise indeed.

17. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Agreed. I figured this was a butt kicking and didnt try to watch. Nice work by the team!

Sports Yak repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Centennial repped this.
  20. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this allowed? Been a while since we've seen a Rapids manager make effective changes at the half

Andy126 repped this.
  21. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wasn't in town. Haven't watched the match. Glad they won. Saw the goals. I am finding my Rapids interest winding down with no chance of play-offs this season. Watched other MLS highlights last night and the Rapids. Nothing to add but I hope we keep Lewis next season.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't we?

23. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Apparently even changed the spelling of his name at the half -- now that is radical.

SccrDon and JasonMa repped this.
  24. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    No reason, hope we don't.

JasonMa repped this.
  25. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Just watched the 15 minute replay. Oh boy Red Bull with horrible finishing, they squandered so many chances.

COMtnGuy repped this.