Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Northern Command still exists....
    :D

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #7503 raza_rebel, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeit

Vince Foster still a thing in some circles.

Edit- Once they run out of Hillary, Bill, Pelosi and Obama material and it's deep into the Drumpf presidency , you would think they would have run out of shiny objects to chase. But you would be wrong. They have immigrants, NFL players, Kamala Harris, Senator Booker, Muller and the Deep state to crucify. And they eat that up. Of course, Trumpists also equate kneeling for the flag as disrespecting the police and troops, but tear down the FBI or CIA without a hint of irony.

Attached Files:

bigredfutbol, fatbastard and JohnR repped this.
  4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unless the FBI or CIA is doing something that the left doesn't like.

When the right invokes "principles," it's time to leave the room. Its principles are to beat liberals. Any other claim is gaslighting.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You misspelled sorority sisters

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    FFS, I feel like flying over and breaking things.

Lawyer in Rape Trial Links Thong With Consent, and Ireland Erupts

soccernutter repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, do go on.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what she said!

-Michael Scott or Albert Einstein

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't really related to anything posted recently in this thread - just a point of curiosity for me. How many of you have had a woman of your acquaintance (family member, friend, significant other, coworker, neighbor, whatever, a woman you talk to at least on occasion) tell you that she has been a victim of a rape or sexual assault? And of those women, how many of them have named a specific person as the perpetrator?

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Three co-workers over the years. Two could, one could not. The two who could, coincidentally, were both date raped the first (and last) year at Penn. They were there 10 years apart and do not know each other.

13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None.

14. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were the perpetrators people you know? I'll explain what I'm getting at soon.

15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a bit of an outlier here, but I worked in a facility where almost all of the girls (yes, girls) were raped/sexually abused. Apart from that, I've had a few students mention it (a couple openly, in class about how women respond), and one or two non-class room women (both over the age of 18). One was a step-parent, the other did not name the person, but said she had filed charges - this is rape specific.

But that is what I remember. I am fairly direct, and quite assertive of my position on women's rights, and I have had many women talk about both verbal and physical sexual assault over the years. The verbal is beyond the sexual harassment. It is so common that I nod in understanding, and if it is at work, I will even do what I can to get the person fired...or at least to get him to quit...beyond on supporting any legal issues. The only time I had a direct issue that I knew of is when a boss was going to be out for a few days and called the males into the office to tell use "as males" to take care of the department. Turned around as soon as he left, spoke with the female staff, told them what was said, and told them I was going to HR as soon as we were done (which I did).

16. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zero.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    A coworker identified a third as having "scared the crap" out of her in a conversational context which clearly implied that she successfully resisted a rape attempt. The guy wasn't anyone I knew well, but I knew him to speak to at work.

And I have known of a dozen or more cases where I knew of the incident but not the details-- like whether she knew him, whither I knew her, I knew him, etc.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No.

19. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A woman I dated for a few months once claimed she was raped, and tried to blame me for putting her in the situation. She later admitted that she'd lied.

I'd broken up with her, but we would still see each other occasionally when I would visit her home town for work. She had plans to come by my hotel room and hang out, but she arrived super late at night. Because I had work the next day, I told her she should go home. This hurt her feelings. The next day she claimed she was raped on the way home. She said it was my fault because I didn't let her stay with me, and went so far as to send me a picture of an alleged sexual assault form she filled out at the hospital.

She later admitted that she made it up because she was mad at me.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks.

You also know that the research says that to be very rare, right?

xtomx repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7521 Jazzy Altidore, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    It was distressing but somewhat expected from this girl. She'd lied about other things in the past (including getting pregnant and then an abortion) so I really shouldn't have taken the risk of seeing her, even for a late night meeting in my hotel room.

Which research are you speaking of? There is lots of research on the subject and it points in conflicting directions. By its very nature, a "false accusation" is not something that is easily proven because invariably some "false accusations" will never get outed as false. Often the studies only count outright recantations, which likely to not occur in many of the false accusation cases.

There are also studies that define sexual assault so broadly so that it loses its meaning. An unwanted attempted kiss, for example--what man hasn't tried for a kiss on the mouth and been rejected? Is that really the type of thing we are talking about here?

Sadly, a false rape claim is not an atypical tool for a sick, twisted woman to use to "get even" with a man who she feels has wronged or humiliated her, in the same vein that rape is a tool that sick, twisted men use to hurt women. There are shitty people on both sides of the spectrum.

My view is that every accusation must be treated on its own facts. The woman deserves to be heard--the accused (although there wasn't one in my actual case) deserves a presumption of innocence in a criminal court, and the ability to disprove the allegations in a non-criminal context.

22. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Regarding people I know offline, I have had three friends and one girlfriend tell me. In three of the four cases, they identified a specific person. In one of those three cases, it was someone I knew; and in another, it was someone that I did not know, but stood a good chance of running into eventually as they were sort-of in the same field of academia as I was.

23. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be nice if people who make false rape claims are made to suffer the same consequences as people convicted of real rapes.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True dat. Since #MeToo a certain segment of the female population has been emboldened to lie.

25. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, it would be nice if people who falsely claim something were to suffer the same consequences of those who actually commit those crimes, whatever they are. Sexual assault and child molestation have serious consequences for the reputations of those falsely accused, but it should pretty much go for bearing false witness of any kind.