Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Dude that is the point! There are literally NO POSSIBLE FACTS apart from a witness who denies it. If I didn’t know any better this would be a republican sleeper cell.... I know it obviously is not but it just illustrates what happens when metoo becomes weaponized and how ********ing incompetent Feinstein/pelosi (insert old school dem name here).

As of now she will no longer will testify without fbi. She will not testify privatetly.

Super Dave we have known each other since our bs cyber tour in iraq.

Let me ask you this question, who benefits from this clusterfukc?

My simple answer crazy Christian voters to get them to the polls.

Only group that benefits are republicans and metoo looses serious legitimacy.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'd like to follow up on an earlier item, the one that notes a positive correlation between having mental illness and being raped.

My follow-up is, this information contradicts standard lefty doctrine, which is that nothing that the victim does is relevant to the crime. Rapes happen regardless of the behavior of the victim, meaning that it is never acceptable to discuss the victim's behavior.

However, it appears, being raped is correlated with the behavior of victims. Which means that by denying any links between the victim's behavior and the crime being committed, the left's doctrine prevents information from being discussed that could prevent future rapes.

So, by "protecting" women, the left's doctrine puts them in more danger than they otherwise would be.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    This means he earned his white male privilege. Doesn't this mean he is allowed to be rapey?

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It certainly does. Being privileged rapey extends to prep-school Asians, too. I learned that from Jessica Jones.

5. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just to be clear look for the douchebag to fail right before the election so the republicans will then say to the evangelicals that they have to vote otherwise the devil worshiping pizzagate Democrats will block all new judge nominees. There placating the metoo dems and illustrating the dems using this as a football while riding up the crazy Christians to get a giant net positive vote in November.

This is the culture of sexual assault in the United States.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, Trump will do that. But he already owns the evangelicals, and the evangelicals always vote. So I don't think he will get more mileage that way.

As for Kavanaugh, meh. If he goes down, Trump will nominate another guy just like him. I mean, I would vote against Kavanaugh if I were in the Senate, but I don't see this as a Democratic win, in the long run. The Supreme Court is gonna look the same regardless.

russ repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I agree the Dems can't prevent the GOP from installing a conservative judge, but turning this into an epic train wreck is great politics

I mean if the roles were reversed, we'd all be complaining as usual that the Dems were fumbling a sure thing in the end zone right before the mid terms

Electoral genius!

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Plus, aside from the politics, vetting nominated candidates is the Senate's job. One might think, sometimes, that the Senate exists to provide cover for the President, but I do believe that our government was constructed otherwise.

9. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #7309 The Jitty Slitter, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Exactly.

This is why I think the media fails in it's role.

Turning up this info is the point of the process (imagine if it came out AFTER he was confirmed).

It shouldn't be viewed as a horse race, but rather the senate doing its job by preventing a bad mistake being made.

Of course the US is now too corrupt for the senate to act in good faith - but the media should be reporting that K's nom ought to be dead.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I concede the point that this controversy might help GOP voter motivation, especially if Kavanagh's nomination fails. It's not an easy ethical question whether winning the battle is worth the effect on winning the war.
    2. I recoil from the idea that metoo is being "weaponized."
    3. I'm not sure how the legitimacy of metoo is diminished. I think it probably will harden the feelings of those who were already "against" it. So be it. The last 18 years politically have thoroughly convinced me that every microjoule of energy spent on worrying about what committed conservatives believe or do is wasted. They're irredeemable.
    Victimizers know how to spot victims. I think that's the causation behind the correlation.
    Don't be too sure.

The Dems need a +2 in the Senate. FWIW, 538 put their chance at pulling that off at about 1/3 (IIRC.)

The Dems have a good shot at 3 pickups, Nevada, Arizona, and Tennessee. Texas is a longshot. History is that incumbents never lose if their party is on the good side of a wave election.

As a Dem, I would worry about the effect for the at risk Dems and the at risk GOPs if Kavanagh goes down.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you saying that it's the mentally unstable (for lack of a better term) women who tend to get sexually assaulted more than average, or is it that women who have been sexually assaulted are more likely to have trauma issues?

If it's the latter, well, I need to pull out the old pic of Captain Obvious. If it's the first one, it may be because people who are "not right" may either expose themselves to potentially dangerous situations (e.g. getting drunk at a frat party, etc.), or that the kinds of predator guys who would take advantage of them can somehow spot a certain type to target.

russ repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Per the article, yes, it was the first one. I don't know any more than that right now, but I'll scan the literature and report back.

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He has the same legal protections everyone does. He can, if he chooses, accuse her of slander and take her to court. In the meantime, he's in the same position everyone is when they seek a job.

I was investigated for my current position. If, in their judgment, they had decided that I was unreliable, I wouldn't have gotten the job. They could have been wrong about that, and it still would have been tough crunchies for me: I'm not entitled to the job. If it turned out that the reason they felt that way was because someone told them something slanderous, I could sue that person. That option is open to Kavanaugh as well.

14. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's the case, we'll break out some extra mops and buckets to clean up all the exploding Republican heads. If the women who get raped are all cray-cray, anyone who claims an allegation against a fine, upstanding white Christian man must be crazy. But what if she isn't crazy and it actually did happen?

All surgeons are doctors, but not all doctors are surgeons. Something certain people have trouble letting their heads around...

15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Nancy Pelosi involved in this at all?

We already know she has mental health problems: she's been going to see a therapist, to whom years ago she disclosed that she'd been assaulted in the past. Could that disclosure to a therapist, too, be bullshit? Sure, it's possible, that happens -- extremely rarely, but it happens. So people take all the input they can and then they judge how they feel about it all.

Pelosi?

16. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Having a mental illness" is not a behavior. It's not a thing you "do" that increases your chance of being raped, and it's not a thing you can just "stop doing" to decrease your chance of being raped.

There are dozens of mental illnesses commonly recognized by mental health professionals with hundreds of different associated symptoms/"behaviors." A person with schizophrenia and co-morbid bipolar disorder in the grips of a manic episode is going to display vastly different "behavior" than a person with severe depression, but both are at an increase risk for being raped. Because people who are ill are more vulnerable than people who are not ill.

How, exactly, is discussing the "behavior" of these victims supposed to decrease rape rates?

Belgian guy, russ, soccernutter and 3 others repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I find it impossible to take you seriously. By "take you seriously" I mean "believe a single letter that you type.

Auriaprottu, KCFutbol, Timon19 and 2 others repped this.
  18. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't equate "having gone to a therapist" with "mental health issues." If anything, she is probably better off from having done this, and got some clarity on her situation than she would have if she had kept it bottled up inside her. I remember the 1998 campaign when Lee Atwater (may he rot in hell) made a big deal that Mike Dukakis went to a grief counselor a few times after his brother had died 20+ years earlier, painting him as "weak."

As for the bolded part, why would she make up something like that to tell a therapist? Just in case many years later, there was a bizarre "fluke" election and the most un-presidential President in history got elected and decided to appoint this guy to the supreme court? I guess it's just like Obama's mom who decided in 1961, she better put an announcement in the Honolulu newspaper about her Kenyan-born baby who might be president some day, just to make it look legit...

19. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lol... Ok.
    How about the content Dr. Wankler? I meant Feinstein. But all the old school Dems are the same to me....

Who wins and looses here?

20. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not? What do you think mental health issues are?

(Full disclosure: I've been seeing a therapist basically forever.)

You're asking me about something that is, for me, a hypothetical, since I doubt she did make it up. But if I were to conjecture why someone might . . . To engender sympathy from a therapist? I've known quite a few people who told me, point blank, that they lied to their therapists on a regular basis. We used to get into arguments about it, with me telling them that they were wasting their time and money if they weren't honest to their therapists, since how could their therapists help them with bad information?

Do I think this happened in this particular case? I have no reason whatsoever to think that, and it's highly unlikely. However, I'm not going to say it's completely impossible, because it isn't.

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your such a looser! You don't evven no how too spel corectly. And you say your a professer at a Big Ten shcool (where there are 12 members !)? Ya, rite, Like I'me goona belive a giy like you. Why do'nt you jest confes taht you're real name is Yuri or Sergei or somethnig liek thet?

Your liek the guy on the tech suport phone center with a hevvy Indian acent, and he seys his name is "Jason" butt we all no it is Jagdeep or Ramachandra!

russ repped this.
  22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just like on Fox News!

23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, fair enough. I just hate the idea that in some circles, there is a certain stigma associated with getting help for issues that are not physical. No one will ridicule someone for going to a hospital to get their broken arm put in a cast.
    Yeah, I s'pose it is hypothetically true, but yeah, the therapist can't help you if you aren't honest with them.

24. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I said I was. My spell checker on my cell phone is somehow stuck on German. I am writing on the subway mostly. It takes me ten times as long to correct my auto corrdct.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    People who have a mental illness behave differently than those who do not. Otherwise, we wouldn't call their condition an illness.

According to the article, which seems to be legitimate, one or more of the differences in behavior that result from mental illness increase the risk of being raped.

Thus, this would suggest two courses of action -

1) Pay special attention to those behavioral differences when counselling and treating those who suffer from mental illness.

2) Determine if those behaviors sometimes occur with the mentally healthy (which they might well do). If so, be sure to spread the word to the general population that those are potentially dangerous situations.