Rape/Sexual Assault Culture

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by minerva, Jun 4, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's an odd one. We have many music festivals over here each Summer as well and a comparable Muslim population to Sweden, but this hasn't really been an issue over here. It's a small enough sample size to be mere outliers.

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Per the article, at least at the one festival, it was a single group of 7 teens (of course), who thought it would be funny (of course) to run around the festival grabbing girls.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Isn't it often a small number of people, though? You don't need a large number of people to cause absolute bloody havoc.

There was one fella who lived near my old house, (this was some 20 years ago), who was like a one-man crime wave. He'd be spaced out on drugs, (or desperate FOR drugs... I forget which), and he created about 60% of the crime in the area on his OWN over a 12 month period.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is Dad these days?

Moishe, Q*bert Jones III and Belgian guy repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dead!

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    soccernutter repped this.
  7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You're talking about a woman who made a living selling the story of Bill Clinton's sexual-assault victims, who made hay about Hillary Clinton once defending somebody accused of sex crimes, and who waved her arms and said "nothing there" when women came forward accusing Donald Trump. And she works for Betsy DeVos.

I'm pretty sure that the main reason she said that was to score points on the left. Everything about her career shrieks "rapid partisan."

8. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, just the last two shriek of anything. The first one is just fact.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why? She was probably reared to "think" this way. So many of them are, it seems...

Have to confess, when I saw "Civil Rights Chief" and "Candice Jackson", I figured a slightly different look and wondered wtf was this woman cooning for. Then I Googled.

I had an interesting convo with an ex-GF who attended an R. Kelly show a while back. She didn't deny that dude is a pedo, but for some reason she felt the need to say that the girl in the vid (I have not seen it, and I will not watch it) "seemed to have a lot of experience". I was like, "I don't care what she's done or how good she is at it- she's fourteen and no grown-ass man has any business hitting it. None.".

Deadtigers, song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are some women who think women should behave in a certain way when around other people, males in particular, and that when they don't, they are the ones to blame for violating the (expected) norm. And there are a number of reasons for that. I had a girl in my class once, when we were talking about this subject - I think it was regarding the Stubenville FUBAR - who said that if a girls gets drunk at a party, it means she wants to have sex and should expect guys to treat her like that (in other words, she was saying that girls should expect to get raped). The entire class went into stunned silence. In part because we all immediately knew she was speaking from experience. And I think she figured that out quite quickly, too.

11. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many parties did she get invited to after that?

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    886631860247429120 is not a valid tweet id

Rape culture is how you can have an education professional not realizing that this behavior is unacceptable.

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bill Clinton's treatment of women is a fine subject for a book; he has much for which he should be held accountable. But that book should be written by a journalist, not by a lifetime political hack who covers for Donald Trump.

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Remember the Columbia University mattress case? Yeah probably. The alleged rapist sued Columbia, which settled the suit this past week for an undisclosed amount. I have no idea if that is a victory or him, the university, or neither.

(The article notes that he graduated the university, as a "John Jay scholar." I looked that up ... John Jay scholars are named as such as incoming freshman. It means that the guy was a particularly strong high school student; Columbia gave him a goodie in the hopes that he would accept at Columbia rather than attend another Ivy. At any rate, the point being that while Columbia no doubt disliked the idea of lauding the kid for his "remarkable academic and personal achievements," the university was apparently locked into doing so.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/14/...cast-as-a-rapist-in-mattress-art-project.html

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholarships can be taken away for a variety of reasons.I'm guessing retaining the scholly was part of the settlement.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.alreporter.com/2017/07/20/truly-disgusting-display/

Nothing like being a pregnant pre-teen rape victim and being shamed/bashed by a member of her own gender. A little unity, ladies?

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You say it, you own it.

18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...cb0e4b07e7f2150dd7e?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

Yeah, that Jim Tressel. Must be nice to waltz into a gig leading an academic institution with nothing more than an M.A. I can't even begin to imagine what his veeps and deans are saying, unless it's "Well, maybe he can get money for the school..."

Anyhow, YSU should have denied admission to Richmond if they didn't want him to play ball. They know why he's there.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Shit, the whole forum is theirs, or may as well be. You got alt-righters and "Hill'ry were a horrible candidate"ers getting replies to their bile.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    http://whnt.com/2017/08/10/lawsuit-...sexual-assault-of-a-student-by-her-professor/

UNA didn't even check dude's past. They have three or four DII nattys, but I don't know of any incidents involving rape and a player.

22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't been following this closely, but knew about the situation and the subsequent trial - Taylor Swift.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40937429

I had always assumed that she would win, as much as it was because she has real influence and power as to the facts surround the case. Further, I have come across stories that indicate she is that driven person, the one who sleeps 3 hours a night, who is obsessed with making things in her career/life better. I've met a few people like that, not the driven to be wealthy, the driven to get better in what ever they are working on. It happens that in her case, it will mean making a shit load more money, but to me, that is a benefit of her drive, not the motive behind it.

Anyway, to the trial. For those not aware, she accused a dj somewhere of grabbing her butt during a photo shoot leading into some event (during the actual picture taking). He denied it, obviously. As I indicated, Swift won. But there is more than just a victory...

She refused to back down

The trial showed how some defence lawyers try to undermine the credibility of an alleged victim.

But some of the most potent moments occurred when Taylor Swift refused to let that happen.

At one point, rejecting an accusation that she had misidentified Mueller, she said: "I'm not going to allow you or your client to say I am to blame."

When asked why a photo taken at the time of the alleged incident does not show the front of her skirt ruffled, she bluntly responded: "Because my ass is located on the back of my body."

At another moment, she said: "I know exactly who did this. It is not alleged. It is a fact.

"You can ask me a million questions about it and I'm never going to say anything different."

Her testimony drew praise, with Slate magazine's Christina Cauterucci describing it as "sharp, gutsy and satisfying".

"For young fans of Swift's, hearing a beloved artist speak candidly about the emotional damage of sexual assault and stand up to a courtroom of men trying to prove her wrong could be a formative moment for their developing ideas of gender, sex, and accountability," she wrote.

For all those who are not long time readers of this thread, a reminder of why that testimony was important:

(from the same article)
    The 2013 incident only became public in 2015 when radio personality David Mueller- who lost his job after Ms Swift's team reported the groping claim to his radio station - filed a defamation lawsuit against Ms Swift.

With the incident out in the open, Ms Swift filed a countersuit alleging sexual assault - which she has just won.

In court, Taylor Swift's mother, Andrea Swift, said she did not go to police when her daughter first told her she had been groped because: "I did not want this event to define her life."

"I did not want her to have to live through the endless memes and gifs that tabloid media and internet trolls decided to come up with - doctoring the pictures… and making her relive this awful moment over and over again," she said.

Ms Swift's lawyer said the star had wanted to keep the situation "discreet and quiet and confidential".

But by not reporting the alleged groping to authorities in the first place, the pop superstar was responding in the same way that thousands of American women do every year.

According to RAINN, the largest anti-sexual violence organisation in the United States, two out of three sexual assaults in the country go unreported.

The top three reasons for people not doing so are fearing retaliation, not believing the police will help and considering it to be a "personal matter".

Taylor Swift's reasons for not going to the police, as told by her mother, who is part of her management team, are revealing. The case highlights how some victims fear being ridiculed, not being believed or not being taken seriously after reporting an alleged sexual assault.

The bold is notable because Swift is known for writing song about gossip about her and that she confronts negative publicity (think Shake It Off). That is suggests the initial reason was to keep quiet because of the typical reaction to such an accusations by those not being sexually assaulted.

Of course, Swift also acknowledges her place, which is also is noteworthy:
    "I acknowledge the privilege that I benefit from in life, in society and in my ability to shoulder the enormous cost of defending myself in a trial like this," she said in a statement following the verdict.

"My hope is to help those whose voices should also be heard."

Of course, I'm going back to point 2 of the article (as quoted above: "She refused to back down.") That reminds me of the recent quote by our not-so-worthy Majority Leader in the Senate who said it was wrong for a female to persist...to refuse to back down.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Taylor was awesome. Is awesome. I don't understand the $1 settlement, but if Taylor is happy and thinks that represents a victory, then it is. I guess the guy now has a ruling against him in his record and he lost his job.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think her point is that it was not about money, or revenge, it was about standing up against what was wrong.

song219 and taosjohn repped this.
  25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah I got that. I still think $1 is a strange number. But I don't understand the law, so there's that.