Rank the expansion teams

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by jabbaahabbaa, Jun 10, 2017.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just asking, but shouldn't the candidate cities be pissed at MLS for making them pay $150 million & letting Precourt move the Crew (on whom he is making money) for nothing?

San Antonio should be furious, yes?

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No.

The expansion candidates are looking at buying 1/25th to 1/28th slice of an existing business with their fees basically a charge to buy a share of the business.

Relocation doesn't change the slices of the pie.

3. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---------
    Like I said, as part Canadian, I wish the CPL all the success possible. I just don't see that league being anything special without the 3 biggest metro areas. I don't think there is enough money in Canada for that to happen. To me, the CPL will be nothing more than the Canadian version of USL1, which i guess if they really try to use only primarily Canadian players, that has got to be the goal to improve the national team. The funny thing is, I don't really think MLS needs the 3 Canadian teams or would worry if they left. In fact, it would allow MLS to put 3 more franchises in the USA.

4. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I think it helps quite a bit to have Canadian teams in MLS. Canada has over 36 million people. Not having teams there would be like not having teams in California. It must add value to the upcoming TV contract negotiations to have access to a market of 36 million people.

Plus, the Canadian teams draw well. Toronto is #3 in league attendance behind only Atlanta and Seattle whereas both Vancouver and Montreal are in the upper half of the league.

MLS could legitimately become the #2 sport/league in Canada behind only the NHL. There are no NFL teams whereas the CFL is not that popular, and only Toronto has MLB or NBA. College sports are not a big draw up there either. So, MLS has much less competition for fans in Canada than it would in most American expansion cities.

The Franchise and tallguy repped this.
  5. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    True, but Precourt got one helluva deal. $68 million for an existing franchise and its stadium is nothing compared to the $150 million expansion fee others are paying that doesn't include a stadium. Then again, the analysts on ESPN claim the next best bid for the Crew back in 2013 was only $30 million.

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It wasn't such a deal at the time. Comparing it to expansion franchises that'll begin play maybe a decade afterwards isn't even a remotely fair comparison.

And the Hunts never let of anything cheap. That was fair market value for the time.

Sure, it looks like a steal in hindsight, but then I didn't see anyone else offer $69 million at the time.

Value is based on supply/demand. In 2013 the supply was much, much higher and the demand was all but nonexistent.

The Franchise repped this.
  7. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    Yep, plus if any of them wanted to buy the Crew back in 2013, they could have done so for just $68 million, including Mapfre Stadium, and they apparently could have negotiated the same relo clause that Precourt did.

8. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    True, and Taylor Twellman claims the next best bid was only $30 million. That said, the sale occurred at a time when expansion fees were already $100 million and expansion clubs were expected to lay out plans for $150 million or so in new soccer-specific stadiums. So, to land an existing club and stadium for just $68 million when start-up costs for everyone else were $250 million+ was a rather remarkable deal, even with the apparent lack of interest from other bidders.

9. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacramento pretty much a done deal. Nashville/Cincy up next, and they BOTH are not sitting on the most solid foundations. Three horse race now. I’d let all three in given Miami’s situation. Frankly , MLS needs to go on an offensive to make sure they both get over the finish line, maybe even gave Garber show up for them.

I can’t think that the Ford Field thing is a good thing for Detroit