Rank the expansion teams

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by jabbaahabbaa, Jun 10, 2017.

1. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO Saint Louis, no San Diego, move Detroit down in the list.

1. Sacramento
    2. Nashville
    3. Detroit
    4. Cincinnati

Time to move strong on SEC country.

I still remember a few years back Chattanooga drawing 20K for a freakin' 4th division championship game!

whiteonrice04 repped this.
  2. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using this thread as an unscientific poll, this is the top 4 based on the posting history of the past 2 months.

Miami then...

25 & 26:

Sac - 4 votes
    Detroit - 3 votes
    Cincy - 2 votes
    Nashville - 2 votes
    Phoenix - 1 vote

27 & 28:
    Nashville - 4 votes
    Cincy - 2 votes
    Charlotte/Raleigh - 2 votes
    Detroit - 2 votes
    Phoenix - 1 vote
    Sac - 1 vote

3. whiteonrice04

whiteonrice04 Member+

Sep 8, 2006
    Overall:
    Nashville - 6
    Sac - 5
    Detroit - 5
    Cincy - 4
    Phoenix - 2

4. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think anyone has a clue as to 27/28.

Once 25/26 is decided, then the calculus changes. They're not picking four this year. The only thing that really matters, as best I can tell, is this year. Because the teams picked this year will have an impact on the jockeying for next year. And what the remaining ten markets will have is another 15 months to get things working in their favor. I'm guessing there'll be some interesting bond/financing measures next November that could really impact the race for 27/28.

If I were to pick 25/26 today, I'd say Sac has it in the bag, and Detroit is probably their littermate.

But a lot can happen in even just three months.

Footsatt repped this.
  5. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #180 Coyote89, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    That's generally how I see it as well. Sacramento and Detroit get the nod for #25/26 and it becomes a different horse race for the final two, with extra time to get stadium deals and financing worked-out. That's why I think St. Louis could end up back in the mix.

If I had to put money on it, I'd bet on Sac, Detroit, Phoenix, and St. Louis. If St. Louis STILL can't get the financing worked out, even with the extra year, then San Diego takes their place.

We're moving into a phase of MLS growth where they need to significantly drive-up the value of the TV contract prior to negotiating the new deal in 2023. Ticket sales are already very respectable league-wide and most stadiums have restricted capacity where it can't go much higher. Therefore, TV revenue is, BY FAR, the most important component of future league growth. It will affect the salary cap, the number of DNPs, the amount of allocation money, as well as investments in stadiums, training facilities, and development academies. And it will raise the profile of the league. So, upon being presented with this critical opportunity to define their national footprint for the next decade, I just can't see MLS taking a pass on some of the largest remaining media markets in favor of small ones.

By the way, rather than awarding an expansion franchise to a city like Nashville, why not move a struggling franchise there (i.e. Columbus perhaps)? Can't move Columbus to Cincy because Cincy already has a thriving USL franchise that is bidding for expansion of their own. But Nashville has no current franchise, yet could provide a team like Columbus with a very enthusiastic new fan base, a growing new market, and even a new stadium.

6. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see anybody relocating in MLS but if they do I don't see it until they get fully built out.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I actually disagree. In fact, MLS might be lucky not to be 5 or 10 years ahead of where it is now. If ESPN collapses (or contracts) if it turns out the current round of massive TV contracts turn out to be ruinous as the viewing market fractures and advertising continues to splinter, then not having built a larger amount of TV money into team budgets/player payroll might just be a godsend.

I think national sponsorships might be worth more than TV revenues, but those back your point. Detroit is worth far more than Raleigh and Phoenix is worth far more than Cincinnati.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    And MLS teams have a much larger barrier against relocation than the big four sports leagues with the teams putting down deep roots with academy systems.

I would expect any expansion bid winners (from teams that don't already exist in NASL/USL) to immediately look to starting academy systems and getting the pipeline going.

I'm sure NCFC is well aware that Sporting Kansas City has signed to North Carolina raised players to "homegrown" contracts in the last couple of months.

9. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a possible idea for ATL would be to partner with Chattanooga. ATL owns and runs the team. It's a short commute from ATL to Chatt. Rather than put an MLS team in Chatt, put ATL's USL team there, but the team lives in ATL and trains in ATL at the Marietta complex. Busing up for home games is a short drive so Chatt gets their own pro team, ATL gets their USL team and the USL team gets to be at same training complex as the 1st team. Chatt can obviously support the team really well. Win-win-win!

10. 30King

30King Member+

Jul 22, 2013
    Rocklin, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Disagree with this, kinda (my disclaimer :p)

Having some experience with youth comp soccer (including academy level/USDA), the barrier you refer to is a lot more variable than you think.

A team needing to relocate likely is on the lower end of the "youth development game", so they're not leaving much, and either way, setting up a youth system shop in a new city is not that hard.

Using Columbus as an example, moving to Cincy is easy. They literally could keep the set up in CLB, and either partner, poach or take over the top level clubs in CINCY.

If CLB moved to PHX, they could still keep the CLB DA team, or just partner with the local clubs as a satellite feeder.

Again, once they're in PHX, they'll either set up their own DA and poach players, partner with existing DA clubs, or buy them out.

Bottom line, if, and I say IF, a cub needs to relocate, the financial reasons necessitating the move will not be outweighed by a DA set up.

11. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't see Columbus as a struggling team. They draw well when the Crew is having a good season and they don't draw well when the Crew is having a bad season. Adding Cincinnati as a local rival would probably pump up attendance for both teams.

12. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    #187 Coyote89, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    I hear you on the proximity and co-use of the Marrietta training facility. That idea certainly sounds good but there are practical realities that make it difficult. First, Chattanooga FC already exists, albeit in the 4th-tier NPSL. So, you'd have to be awarded a USL expansion franchise to establish a competing club in that city, which is certainly not a given. Either that or buy Chattanooga FC from whoever owns them now and try to elevate the club to USL.

For now, ATL UTD has established a partnership with the Charleston Battery of the USL. Apparently that relationship is just an annual renewal, so I suppose the door is open to do something different in the future. But it has benefited both clubs so far as ATL has loaned a number of players to Charleston to ensure they get plenty of PT in professional competition, whereas Charleston benefits from the infusion of talent. Nashville is starting a USL team next year, so if they don't win their MLS expansion bid, they'd make a good partner for someone as well.

Sadly, the Atlanta Silverbacks (formerly the Atlanta Ruckus) have fallen all the way to the NPSL which is a 4th-tier league. Otherwise, that partnership would have made even more sense.

13. Coyote89

Coyote89 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 18, 2017
    I tend to agree with this. It would be great if we get to a point where clubs can invest millions in developmental academies but that's just not where we are today. In fact, we have a pay-to-play model. So, re-establishing a developmental academy in a new city, where the participants themselves bear most of the cost, is not a major barrier to re-location. I could see a "struggling" MLS club moving to a city that tries, but fails, to land a MLS expansion club, especially if they are a market that doesn't already have a thriving USL team (i.e. Nashville - they start USL play next year).

14. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we don't need but four after Miami, right? Mine are:
    Sac Republic FC
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    FC Cincinnati
    Indy Eleven

15. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, the league will go to 32. The size of the country dictates this and the size of the competing sports leagues means we need a full national footprint. 16 teams in the west, 16 teams in the east.

West
    1 Vancouver
    2 Seatte
    3. Portland
    4 Sacramento-- no brainer, they are almost doing site prep for a stadium
    5 San Jose
    6 LA Galaxy
    7 LAFC
    8 Real SL
    9 Colorado
    10 San Antonio- either here or maybe Oklahoma City if you think you have too many teams in TX
    11 Houston
    12 Dallas
    13 KC
    14 Minny
    15 St Louis- Got to hope this traditional soccer city can figure it out
    16 Chicago

East

1. Toronto
    2 Montreal
    3 Boston - one can dream of new SSS and maybe a new owner
    4 NYRB
    5 NYFC
    6 Phili
    7 DC
    8 North Carolina- downtown Raleigh , not Charlotte. Fills big map gap between DC & ATL
    9 Atlanta
    10 Orlando
    11 Miami- come on now
    12 Chicago
    13 Columbus- need a push on the downtown stadium, otherwise bring up Cincy
    14 Detroit- city being reborn, nice map gap/rivals in Chicago, Toronto, Columbus
    15 Nashville- growing area, nice map gap between Atlanta and the north
    16 Hartford- my wild card. No pro teams in CT, instant rivals with NYRB-NYFC-BOS, even Montreal/Toronto
    =====

Now, in a crazy case that the Canadian Premier League really takes off (and I can say this since I am part Canadian) I think VAN, TOR & MONT need to join the CPL. They become the big boys of that league. Also with the sometimes financial hardships with the exchange rate between the CDN $ and the US$, should help the CPL with finances.

Then the MLS can add yet again, 3 more US based teams. I couldn't even pretend to guess at that point, but it may be a case if more USL teams are doing well, they can move up.

16. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if we are talking 32 then add:
    San Antonio FC
    Saint Louis FC
    San Diego
    Nashville SC or FC Carolina

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where is the 2nd Chicago team going to play?

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I've posted elsewhere, I think if the Crew does move to Austin, I think Cinci shoots up the list but San Antonio's chances go down.

19. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    FC Carolina? Who is that?

20. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    either Charlotte or Raleigh whoever presents the best package

21. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah just saw that - you are correct

22. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Why not both? They're twice as far apart as Chester and Harrison.

There is no "Carolina".

23. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps their proximity shouldn't matter, but I think that it does. Recently I read that Charlotte lawmakers were opposed to the Raleigh stadium deal because they viewed it as competition for the Charlotte bid.
    And yet both the Hurricanes and Panthers name themselves "Carolina" while representing Raleigh and Charlotte respectively.

I think that's a sign that while perhaps the season ticket base may be locally based, teams clearly see utility in drawing support (TV, merchandizing) from the whole of the Carolinas. None of the major leagues have teams represented in both cities.

NaBUru38 and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  24. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    =
    Going to bring back the Chicago Sting and they will play at Wrigley Field !:laugh:

25. When Saturday Comes

Apr 9, 2012
    Calgary
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Who is going to pay MLSE hundreds of millions to have TFC move from MLS to CPL?

Who is going to buy out the lease they have for BMO Field or Kia Training Ground? And pay for the guaranteed contracts of the DP's?

What is the club going to be called?

Toronto is never leaving MLS. It would cost too much then they would go bankrupt. The Leafs will leave the NHL before TFC leaves MLS.