Rank ROK's 9 World Cup performances

Discussion in 'Korea' started by HomokHarcos, Oct 23, 2015.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious how fans of the team would rank them!

2. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
  3. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    because we have 9 WC apps
    That being said I only know 4 and I'm pretty sure everyone would do 2002 #1 and 2014 somewhere dead last and nobody here was alive during 1954 so...

4. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    1. WC 2002
    2. WC 2010
    3. WC 1994
    4. WC 1986
    5. WC 1990

All others, I'd rather forget about, especially WC 2014 where I literally had to force myself to drink to momentarily forget the shit sandwich that was served up.

5. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

1. 2oo2
    2. 2o1o
    3. 2oo6
    4. 1994
    5. rest are irrelevant

6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    2006 wasn't too bad if it wasn't for switzerland,,,

7. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    thanks dude...was thinking specific match performances.

this is pretty unthread -worthy and will be quick Im assuming.

8. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    saw this after posting....actually id like to add I sorta agree with you. if Dick had stayed the course of what he was trying to do it probably would've been more exciting but he sadly lost faith (and his balls apparently) and wanted to save face by losing the initial gameplan and going conservative. i never forgave him for that. his campaign leading up to this one wasnt half bad. he had us playing pretty ok.

9. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Just about everyone would agree to this, but 2014 has to be the rock bottom for me with no further questions asked.

I agree that Advocaat's tenure wasn't all that bad, and he alongside Pim were the two managers that was able to get us playing the 4-3-3 properly. Also, Lee Dong-Gook's injury prior to the 2006 FIFA World Cup was a very crucial blow to us, not to mention the likes of a veteran Yoo Sang-Chul whom was suffering from a long time knee injury that prevented him from featuring his "to be" third WC appearance. Lee Ho, Kim Dong-Jin, Kim Jin-Kyu, and Park Ju-Young really choked hard at Germany.

10. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    Park Ju Young....had I known what I know now....
    he's partly to blame why Im such a cynical bitch now. learned my lesson... pretty much the last time I ever invest so much faith in a player. lol
    fuks sake

11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Meh, well to be fair he proved to be a much of a worthy player from then on afterwards; scored a crucial freekick goal against Nigeria at the 2010 FIFA WC, then literally destroyed the Swiss and the Japanese at the 2012 London Olympics, and this was even when he was mostly benched by Wengerski and loaned out to Watford, not to mention the whole military service fiasco. Even now he's still playing good at his birth club FC Seoul, and he'll still remain as a great player in my books, nothing to lose much faith about imo.

12. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    I seem to remember him being overly hyped during that era where we were just getting our feet wet with our 'international' players. He was messiah-like with a lot of folks deeming him a player with 'boundless' potential and we saw glimpses of that here and there but we also saw him getting the pine at most of the clubs he played for. Some here made excuses for him or directed their frustrations out on the managers making the calls but the bottom line is that he never filled the shoes laid out for him and thats because he's a pansy of an attackman who...like LDG likes to cherry pick and enjoys waiting in the shadows for opportunities to arise. And because of this he probably never got to expand upon the talents and sheer intelligence he apparently had/has. You compare him with someone like Suarez who's on attack nearly the entire 90 and you realize why players like PCY were passing talents and not the shining stars everybody seem to make them out to be. I was one of those who thought more of what PCY really was, and it was sorta depressing to see that get chipped away at over time with the various stints he had after AS Monaco.

Thankfully we have a new paradigm coming in place with LSW. This kid is assertive and is truly goal directed. Traits you need to have to play a proper 10.

13. Sons of Thunder

Sons of Thunder Member+

Jun 27, 2009
    NY State of Mind
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Haha wow I forgot that he went on loan to them. If he had stayed he'd be in the PL now. :rolleyes:

That's a bit unfair to PCY imo. He was hot shit when at Monaco and I'm sure he would have continued in that vein if he had gone to Lille and had someone like Hazard to play with instead of selfish clowns like Nene.

Wenger never game him a fair chance and it's probably due to contract/transfer fee issues, which shows how much of a cvnt that man truly is. Despite not playing for over a year he played a huge part in getting the bronze in London and gaining exemption for a crucial generation of our players.

doraemon, Seol Korea, KyopoOhNo and 2 others repped this.
  14. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014
    So Where's the accountability ? All of those points have been heard before. Why is it that some people believe he needed another player to be a better player? It's nothing but an excuse IMO. Especially for someone who was as touted as PCY growing up. Again I'd have no problem with anything you wrote if PCY was some above average talent but even I agree he had the physical and mental tools to go a lot further than he did

People bring up Wenger but he went through the exact same shit at CV, Watford and that Arab club. Perhaps precedence was set by his stint with Arsenal but i don't believe that noise. There had to be something those managers did not like. He had some excellent moments no doubt but there were many more times than I can remember where PCYs performance could be summed up by a comment like "where's Waldo?" He was supposed to be in the same class of players as Ki PJS LYP or LCY. He was a disappointment in that regard. A lot of that having to do with him lacking killer instinct or having the mental part of his game set. Just too passive for his position.

15. Chaminator

Chaminator Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    1. 1954
    2. 1990
    3. 1998
    4. 2014

....of course, this is the $hit list.

doraemon and jinseokyang repped this.
  16. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Korea beat Switzerland in 2006, they would have topped the group and faced Ukraine in the Round of 16.

17. 12th Player

12th Player Member+

Nov 3, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Just curious, what's the rationale for not including 2006? In 2006 we did get our first WC win outside of Korea. And had the dramatic tie against France.

18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I wrote an earlier reply but deleted it. In retrospect, you're right. 2006 should be listed somewhere between 3 and 6 in terms of our world cup performances. I still remember it as a crushing disappointment notwithstanding LDG's injury/absence from the tournament. Yet it was still 4 points for us in the group stage.

19. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    1. 2010
    2. 1994
    3. 2006
    4. 1986
    Rest are irrelevant.
    I skipped 2002 because it was in your turf and some questionable referee calls overshadowed your performance particularly against Italy and Spain. (I hope I don't get roasted for this :unsure:).

20. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You won't get roasted. Just corrected your post.

TigersOfAsia repped this.
  21. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Your K-pass has now been revoked.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  22. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Mine is 2002

1998 is the second last because I don't really remember what happened, I was 4.

23. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    1986 was underrated. First world Cup appearance in over 30+ years and we were still able to compete reasonably well for what we were, in a tough group.

2010 is definitely #2 but Suarez's goal will always haunt me.

Sons of Thunder repped this.
  24. The Hyphen

The Hyphen Member+

Jun 29, 2014

you probably won't get a response. just listed a bunch of years arbitrarily just so he could make his last point...lol

25. +PL+

+PL+ Member+

Jun 22, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #25 +PL+, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    I still can apply here for a K-pass.
    http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy25768/
    Somewhere around here.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7571251,51.3038624,154m/data=!3m1!1e3
    but the address says somewhere around here
    https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7684065,51.303994,154m/data=!3m1!1e3

I saw it last time I went to Tehran. They had a big flag and smiling pictures of new Dear Leader's father and grandpa attached to the wall. I was eating ice cream and had a good laugh with the soldier guarding the area so I guess my chances of getting another K-pass is pretty high!:laugh: