Rank Japan's World Cup performances from most disappointing to most satisfying?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by HomokHarcos, Aug 5, 2015.

1. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't old enough to remember their first three, but I will try to rank them based on what I heard others say. This is my ranking.

5. 2014: Japan entered the World Cup with high expectations in their country. Winning the 2015 Asian Cup, topping their qualifying group and coming out of the group stages the previous World Cup. However, Japan blew a lead against Côte d'Ivoire allowing 2 goals in 2 minutes, failing to score against 10-men Greece with several missed chances, and losing 1-4 to Colombia despite having more shots. It was a very disappointing exit.

4. 2006: Very similar to 2006. Japan blew a late lead against Australia allowing 3 goals in the last 8 minutes, drawing Croatia 0-0 with a huge blown chance, and losing 1-4 to Brazil. The reason why this is higher than 2014 is because I feel it was a tougher group.

3. 1998: Although it was their worst performance at the World Cup, several Japanese were just happy to be there. In their opening game, they surprised many by only losing by 1 goal against Argentina. They were again praised for their performance against Croatia, even though they against lost by one goal. It then ended with a surprising 1-2 loss against Jamaica, a game which Japan were even considered the favorites.

2. 2002: Although Japan had a poor record at the World Cup previously, there is expectations for a host nation to at least make it out of their group. Japan drew 2-2 with Belgium, and gained their first World Cup win against Russia who were considered the group favorites. They then topped their group with a 2-0 win over Tunisia. In the Round of 16, Japan's run came to an end with a 0-1 loss to Turkey. Although there is a feeling Japan could have gone further, it was satisfying that Japan proved themselves on the world stages as hosts.

1. 2010: Japan came into the tournament with very low expectations even in their home country. Coach Okada even offered to resign before the tournament. Almost everyone had Japan finishing last in the group. Japan opened up the tournament with a surprising 1-0 win over Cameroon, followed by a close 0-1 defeat to eventual finalists the Netherlands. In their final group game Japan only needed a draw to advance, but they impressed people with a 3-1 win over Denmark. In the Round of 16 Japan very nearly won with a shot that hit the crossbar. The matched ended in a penalty shootout with Paraguay eliminated Japan with them just barely missing out on the quarterfinals.

Hope this thread gathers some good discussion, I look forward to some responses!

Samurai Warrior repped this.
  2. Dax

Dax Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I saw them all, the only one that I don't remember well is 1998. I saw the games again few years ago.

1) 2002, because it was so exciting overall.
    2) 2010, because it went well.
    3) 2014 because the tension was real.
    4) 2006 because those 3 goals against Australia in 10 minutes =(
    5) 1998, because it was just an appearance, even if it was good to finally be there I guess

3. teioh

teioh Member+

Apr 17, 2012
    1998 and 2010 = Okada the best of all times.

In 1998 Japan faced Batistuta's Argentina and then Suker'Croatia (3rd place at the end) with the best gk of JNT history and a young Nakata too (better than 2002 Nakata for sure).

2002 was exciting, probably the best memories for me but the best performance related to the real potential were France98 and SoutAfrica2010.