Alert: Rangers SPL Plan

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by GatewayRSC, Jul 3, 2012.

1. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sco...7410/Charles-Green-offers-an-escape-plan.html

New plan to keep Rangers in the top flight and save millions in TV money.

Conditions for Rangers admission into SPL:
    • Back SPL voting reform and slash the Old Firm’s influence;
    • Agree a fairer split of revenue and cut payments to the Old Firm;
    • Accept the transfer embargo given by the SFA appeals body;
    • Pay all Gers’ football debts at home and abroad;
    • Take a points deduction for at least one, possibly more seasons;
    • Issue a public apologise for Gers’ past wrongdoing.

rumors are there may be enough clubs scared of the financial realities of life without Rangers that this plan may have a chance when they vote tomorrow 4-July

What are your thoughts?

2. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It wont happen. There still isn't enough support in the SPL for them regardless of how its dressed up.

The bigger issue is whether or not the SFL clubs get rail-roaded by Doncaster into allowing Sevco into the 1st division next season.

3. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I can't see it. Once Rangers are out of the SPL, the other clubs can engineer all these changes anyway. They don't need Rangers benevolence.

I can't see the SFL clubs letting them into the 1st either. Every statement I've heard from every club so far has been a no, including East Fife yesterday I'm pleased to say. Don't think the SPL threats have really helped. And as far as the "bribery" goes. Why not just vote no to newco and then vote through all the stuff we apparently want anyway?

I really don't understand why Rangers can't just take their medicine. They'll most likely have to apply for a place in the 3rd. their chances of winning that vote are not increasing with every desperate plea and veiled threat.

4. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just reading about "Newco Rangers" on wikipedia. Didn't realize how many key players were already out, possibly to be followed by more.

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
  6. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bummer. They were barely televised in the US when they were in SPL. But I guess that's what happens when you run a business into the ground, especially one with millions of fans around the world.

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006

I've always wondered when teams with millions of fans get into financial trouble, they don't ask their fans "Were in need, please send us $20."

They could get some serious cash with that.

8. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I imagine millions of people the world over would roll their eyes.

But I also imagine about a million people the world over would send in $20... lol

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    It can only really be that they don't think it would work. Don't want to be too snobby here but if we differentiate between fans who go to games and fans who don't; the fans who go to the games already spend a lot of money on football and on the club (some more than they can afford), I think a lot of them would baulk at being asked to fork out to make up for mis-management.

As for the "millions" of fans around the world, a significant %age of them wouldn't put in anything IMO.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Div III really the fourth tier over there? If nothing else their games are going to be comical watching Rangers playing some amateur sides.

11. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I think so. SPL, D1, D2, D3.

12. Billybluenose

Billybluenose Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Correct.

13. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Yes, the 3rd division is the 4th tier. It only contains one amateur side with the rest being semi-professional.

I very much doubt Rangers will have anywhere near the quality of team they've been used to . I doubt it will even be an 'SPL-quality' team. Comedy value will be a little diminished in that sense.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True it probably won't be an SPL quality team. But they'll be able to afford (and will have to field) a team of far higher quality that the fourth tier is used to seeing. I mean for them to finish anything less than a dominant first place this season would be disastrous for them (and frankly the same will go for the two seasons after this one as well).

15. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I can't see anything other than the third division or all fans are going to be unhappy including most Rangers fans. Let's just now get on with it.

16. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Very true. There's been a few full time clubs in there over the past few years, Gretna, Livingston, Morton, Hamilton. Only Gretna really destroyed the division. Higest 3rd division points totals ever

1. Gretna - 2005 - 98 points
    2. East Fife - 2008 - 88 points:D
    3. Forfar Athletic - 1995 - 80 points
    4. Livingston - 2010 - 78 points

It'll be interesting to see what Rangers squad looks like and how they get on. I'd imagine they'll try and get a handful of 'old SPL pros' and then give their youngsters a chance.

17. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rangers hit 100 points? Looks like 108 possible.

18. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really anticipate a quick ascent, at least to the D1.

19. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even with the transfer ban D3 shouldn't be a problem (they'll be primarily playing against amatures with the likes of Alexander, Wallace, McCullough, Broadfoot, Bedoya (maybe?), and Hutton. This is barring any injuries of course.
    Season 2, transfer ban lifted, Gers should be able to add to that core. Div2 won't be a cake walk but I would expect them to be promoted. Div1 will be anybody's guess. If they do things right they could add the pieces they need to get back to the SPL but no way they win promotion then with players in their late 30's unless they can get some helpful transfers.

20. Skippysasquirrel

May 11, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say so. You never know, some recent retirees might come back :)

21. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caniggia?:) He came out of retirement for Wimbeldon why not Rangers?

Skippysasquirrel repped this.