Rangers - Bury

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by GatewayRSC, Jun 26, 2012.

1. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Cruoninga

Cruoninga Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Amsterdam (NL)
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You love the idea of killing another team for your own benefit? Dude...

And why do you want to tell the SPL and SFA to ******** off? They can't help you went bust.

3. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure I'd feel bad for Bury fans, but they could always reform a new club. Of course they would be more than welcome to support the new club, but I suspect they would refuse. But conversely is it ok to kill of a team because of the actions of a few? It's all a big messy issue and somewhere along the way someone's going to get hurt.

I personally don't really care about the SPL and SFA, but the desire to tell them to ******* off is a popular sentiment among many Rangers fans.

4. Cruoninga

Cruoninga Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Amsterdam (NL)
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Of course they would refuse. If you as a football fan know how it feels to have your team killed than why would you want the new Rangers to founded on such a classless act?
    And if they can so easily form a new club - as you suggest the Bury fans could do - why don't you just don't go along that way?

Who is killing your club? The company behind the club is liquidated. That's just a legal issue and if you don't think that is okay you should question the legal system. There's is no other football club that can help what is happening to you at the moment. Therefore it is a completely different case than if you would take over the company behind Bury (or any other team) and erase their identity.

It's too bad that you have to suffer from the actions of Whyte but football fans are always dependent on the actions of a few individuals they have no control over. Dunfermline fans can't help their mismanaged team went down, but they have to accept it anyway.
    And you will still have a team to support. Just not in the SPL for a couple of years. Just like the fans of Dunfermline and all those other fans who were faced with the dire consequences of the people who ran their clubs.

So you don't agree with that sentiment?

5. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    How would buying Bury be telling the SPL nad SFL to "******** off". The only way Newco will even contemplate it is after they've been told to ******** off by the SPL and SFL. And the reason it won't happen is that the English League will tell them to ******** off as well.

6. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Playing south of the border would basically be saying to the SPL and SFL "you don't want us here, fine we'll go and take our supporters and tickets sales and tv deals south and make more money doing it".
    Would the English league let them do it? That is a whole other question.

7. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    That would be kind of like getting dumped by your girlfriend and then telling your pals you were actually the one that dumped her. Rangers can't tell the SPL to ******** off once the SPL have already told Rangers to ******** off.

RitztotheRubble repped this.
  8. Cruoninga

Cruoninga Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Amsterdam (NL)
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Wouldn't that be like a little spoiled kid? You don't receive this huge preferential treatment of an entirely new entity getting allowed straight into the top flight after you went bust because of nothing but your own actions and you start to make a big fuss. You always got your way and now you demand that all the rules are changed so you don't have to face the consequences of financial cheating. If you would just accept that SFL3 is the only reasonable option for football league football for Rangers next season the responses would not have been so fierce and it wouldn't appear that the rest of Scotland didn't want you there.

9. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Apparently the Newco have ruled out the possibility of joining the English lower leagues. A spokesman confirmed "We don't do Woking away".

TobaccoMonopolyFC repped this.
  10. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and while I would prefer a move to England that is because of the increased revenue and exposure internationally. For me it has nothing to do with the SPL or SFA but it has everything to do with what would be best for Rangers. I said this was a sentiment held by many Rangers supporters, not me.

11. Cruoninga

Cruoninga Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Amsterdam (NL)
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I understand where you're coming from. The huge gap in income between England and Scotland is ridiculous and it is frustrating to see every Scotsmen with a bit of talent to be off down south very soon. Players prefer the Championship over the SPL these days. Outside the OF the Championship sides probably pay (much) better wages.

Yet at the same time you can say that the SPL suffers from Celtic and Rangers only seeing it as this cage from which they have to break. To many people the OF set the standard and their denigrating stance towards the Scottish league doesn't do much good for its image.

12. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm sure most championship clubs can pay far more than every SPL club outwith the OF. Part of that is simply that Scotland is a lot smaller than England. Towns the size of Motherwell, Perth, Dingwall (Ross County's average attendence is higher than the town's population) would probably never support a Championship team if they were in England.

I'm quite happy for the best Scottish players to leave and play in England. I'd be even happier if more left to play in other top European leagues. Of course, I'd rather they were going to the EPL than the Championship but for that, we need to produce better players.

I'd still rather see a more competitive league than one where there's a wee bit more money, a few more players decide to stay instead of going to England and there's practically zero competition.

If you look at other European nations Scotland's size who are generally regarded as being good football countries at the moment. Most have a low ranking domestic league with little money but where there's genuine competition and they ship off any decent players to better leagues. Obviously there's more to being a successful nation than that but I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at that kind of set-up.

13. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Hah!

Rangers can apply to play in the Juniors, though they have standards so it might be difficult to get in.

14. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is one thing I absolutely agree with you on. Very similar situation to what we have here in the States. I'm happy to see Dempsey and Howard in the EPL. And if we want to continue to send players there instead of Turkey we need to produce better players.

Agree here too, a more competitive is more entertaining to watch and could make for a better situations for everyone. Even as an OF supporter I'd don't want to see the OF winning (and coming in second) EVERY year. Personally I'd like to see the SPL institute some rule changes to make more competitive and ensure the league and its teams financial security, perhaps a tight salary cap with designated players.

15. TobaccoMonopolyFC

Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Or clubs could just spend within their means and pay taxes, that works too.

RitztotheRubble repped this.
  16. GatewayRSC

GatewayRSC Member

Dec 17, 2009
    St Louis
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And a salary cap would ensure everyone stays within their means. And if they don't punish the people in charge, not the fans.

17. RitztotheRubble

RitztotheRubble Member+

Apr 15, 2011
    no one is being punished. rangers are being liquidated. it my not be easy for the fans, but it isn't punishment. the club is just dead.