Rangers 2009 - 2010 thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Pedro's greasy do, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So I got a little trip to Ibrox at the weekend while I was up in Glasgow. I kind of wish I did not bother. What an awful boring game of football. For most of the game the gap between the back four and the midfield four was about 10 yards and the forwards were isolated up front. It seems in the last 3 games we've really gone off the boil. Hopefully we can pick up tomorrow night against the sheep.

Or maybe it's just a ploy by Smith to make Lennon look good. Let him catch up a little and then he gets the job full time! Lennon has disaster written all over him as Celtic manager. I wonder if Celtic will learn from what happened with Mowbray as he had disaster written all over him from the start as well.

2. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Rangers edged closer to securing the Scottish Premier League title with a battling win against Aberdeen.

Steven Davis netted the opener on 24 minutes with a powerful right-footed shot from 20 yards out.

A fine strike from Kyle Lafferty doubled the lead on 64 minutes before Darren Mackie reduced the deficit four minutes later from close range.

But Kenny Miller sealed the points for Rangers with 14 minutes remaining, firing in from a Danny Wilson nod-down.

Rangers are now just two wins away from sealing a record 53rd league championship title - potentially before the SPL splits in two for the remaining five fixtures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8606100.stm

3. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Nice effort from TBO tonight as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League
    Venue: Tannadice Date: Wednesday, 14 April Kick-off: 1945 BST
    Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland commentary available via BBC Sport website. Live on Sky Sports 3, highlights on BBC Sport website.

Dundee United will be without Paul Dixon after the defender broke a bone in his foot on Sunday.

Andy Webster is not allowed to play under the terms of his loan from Rangers, so Garry Kenneth will come back in after serving a ban.

Rangers are boosted by the return of defenders Madjid Bougherra and Kirk Broadfoot from hamstring injuries.

The champions have no fresh injuries or suspension worries as they close in on the defence of their title.

Dundee United (from): Pernis, Dillon, Kovacevic, Watson, Dods, Kenneth, Hill, Gomis, Buaben, Conway, Swanson, D Robertson, Myrie-Williams, Shala, Cadamarteri, Daly, Goodwillie, Sandaza, Casalinuovo, Banks.

Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Wilson, Davis, McCulloch, Edu, Naismith, Lafferty, Novo, Miller, Beasley, Smith, Fleck, Little, Boyd, Alexander, Bougherra, Broadfoot.

5. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8630065.stm

Well done to both.

6. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I think it's more than safe to congratulate Rangers now on winning their 2nd title in a row.

Well played.

7. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    It was more than safe six months ago.... :cool:

In all seriousness, you are an excellent poster and magmanimous in defeat. A lot of knuckledraggers on both sides of the divide could learn a lot from you.

8. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Happy Days are here again! :)

Now lets see what happens with the ownership of Rangers.

9. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats on this easy championship title. Shame you didn't have worthy rivals this season...

10. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    And so it begins.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/e...gers-1.1023503

11. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Property developer Andrew Ellis is optimistic he will move closer to completing a takeover at Rangers this month, according to Sky Sports News.

"The bid includes all the club's debt and I'm optimistic there will be serious developments in the next three to four weeks," Ellis told Sky Sports News.

"Should I gain control if the club I intend to offer Walter a new contract as his experience and knowledge is invaluable both to me and the club.

"It is only fitting that former chairman Sir David Murray should be offered the role of life president as what he has done for the club can never be forgotten"

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6131764,00.html

12. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

BBC

Pictures of the new kits have been leaked onto various Rangers forums...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks awful imo, never liked the retro look. Very gimmicky.

13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Decision Time

WALTER SMITH'S future at Ibrox will be decided in the next 48 hours.

Lloyds are poised to hold crunch talks with Rangers' board later today to thrash out a club budget and financial programme for next season.

Both will have a massive bearing on whether Smith, 62, decides to remain in charge or walk away from the crisis-torn club.

Even if he opts to stay on, it will only be for one more year.

The title-winning gaffer is deeply concerned about the future of Rangers.

And his worst fears will be confirmed when the bank table a proposal to slash the annual wage bill from £16million to £10m.

Those financial restrictions would make it almost impossible for Smith, unable to make a single signing for the last 18 months, to operate.

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    A banner day. This could be the first time I've ever read a full NotW article, and enjoyed it.

The Taxman Cometh

Officials are worried the hammer blow from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs could make the club UNSELLABLE - and even push them towards ADMINISTRATION.

A fire sale of Gers first team stars is already being contemplated to lower costs and raise desperately-needed funds.

The Scottish News of the World was the first paper to reveal the taxman's probe into offshore payments made to Gers stars over the past 10 years.

It's claimed they received "loans" from Employee Benefit Trusts (EBTs) administered by the club's parent company Murray International Holdings, owned by Sir David Murray. The taxman has also launched probes into the use of EBTs by a number of top English clubs.

Rangers will now plead their case at a Tier One Tax Tribunal, and may then appeal to an Upper Tribunal.

15. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100521/adios-amigo_2254024_2057388

Awra best wee man.

16. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Smith signs one-year deal

WALTER SMITH is staying on as Rangers manager for one more year and then he will hand the reins over to Ally McCoist and Kenny McDowall.

Smith and his backroom team all agreed new deals today.

The contracts were signed tonight at Murray Park with Chief Executive Martin Bain and it ends weeks of uncertainty and worry for the Rangers supporters.

Smith, McCoist and McDowall had all been working without contracts since January and there were fears that they may leave the club this summer.

However, the men who delivered back to back SPL titles will be on board for the charge for three in a row next season.

Smith said: "I am wholly committed to managing the Club next season and when it comes to the end of next season I firmly believe that Ally and Kenny would do a great job and I am glad everybody at the Club shares that view.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100525/exclusive-walter-stays_2254024_2059333