Rangers 2009 - 2010 thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Pedro's greasy do, Jun 17, 2009.

1. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009
    Scottish brewing firm Tennent's has announced a three-year sponsorship deal with Celtic and Rangers.
    The contract, believed to be worth up to £1.5m a year to each club, will see Tennent's displayed on the jerseys.
    The deal replaces a similar one the Scottish Premier League clubs had with Carling which expires this summer.
    Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell and counterpart Martin Bain said the sponsorship would generate "important revenue" for both clubs.
    Tennent's is also in talks on whether to continue sponsorship of the Scottish national team.
    The brewing firm's managing director, Mike Lees, said he hoped the deal with the Old Firm would help the game in Scotland.
    "Football is a national obsession in Scotland and we believe this partnership with Scotland's biggest and most successful football clubs takes our long-held strategy of sponsorship and investment in the game to the next level," he said.

"We are very much looking forward to working with the clubs and their fans, and to an exceptional year for the brand in 2010."
    Lawwell said the deal had been struck during "challenging times" for Scottish football.
    "Celtic Football Club is delighted to enter into this new partnership with Tennent's, a brand which has become synonymous with football," said the Celtic chief executive.
    "This sponsorship provides important revenue for Celtic over the next three years, which will contribute to our continued investment in the football squad.
    "We are sure this partnership with Tennent's will be most beneficial."
    The Rangers chief executive added: "The Tennent's brand has been synonymous with Scottish football for decades and we are pleased they have chosen to take their sponsorship to a new level by investing in the Old Firm."

BBC.

2. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
  3. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

This is should be labeled as a terrorist act and hopefully Scottland Yard is on it and will find who is behind these terrible acts. The Celtic fans did not do this, the fringe crazy celtic fans did this, I am sure one of the firms of Celtic did this. It is too hot not to find who did it. Someone will be a talking . I hope Beas had insurance

4. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Algerian international defender Madjid Bougherra, who plays for Glasgow Rangers in the Scottish Premier League, has been voted the best Arab footballer for 2009, according to a poll published by Lebanese magazine Elhadath Erriadhi.

This award given to Bougherra, 27, comes 22 years after another Algerian international, Rabah Madjer, was similarly crowned in 1987 after winning the European Championship (now Champions League) with FC Porto of Portugal against Germany's Bayern Munich, after scoring a memorable backheel goal.

Bougherra finished with 13 points, ahead of Moroccan striker Marouane Chamakh, who plays for Girondins Bordeaux in France.

The poll was conducted among 158 football journalists and experts from 17 Arab countries.
    Algeria is the only Arab representative in the World Cup to be held in South Africa from June 11 to July 11.

Another Algerian footballer, Rafik Halliche, was ranked second among the "most promising players", behind Emirati Abderahmane Ameur, with third place going to Egypt's Ahmed Chokri.

Algerian international referee Mohamed Benouza was nominated second best referee behind Emirati Ali Hamed, who was awarded the "Golden Whistle." -- NNN-APS

5. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    St Mirren have no new injury worries ahead of their clash with Rangers.

However, the Paisley club are waiting to discover whether Rory Loy - on loan from Rangers - has been given permission to face the Ibrox men.

Madjid Bougherra returns to the Rangers squad after international duty with Algeria and could replace suspended captain David Weir in defence.

Strikers Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller are also in contention, having returned to training following recent injuries.

St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson:
    "When you play a club of the stature of Rangers, that's their belief, that they are going to win games.

"We certainly have a confidence within the group at the moment and not just from Tuesday night's cup win.

"We believe we can win games and hopefully, with home advantage, we can cause Rangers problems.

"There are certainly other motivational factors that go into a squad at key times in the season and when key games come up.

"There are situations that pull them a bit closer as a group."

Rangers manager Walter Smith:
    "We had a tough game there recently in the SPL and if you add the extra edge a cup tie can bring, it'll be a good match.

"Gus always has his team extremely well organised and they are a difficult side to break down."

St Mirren (from): Gallacher, Ross, Innes, Mair, Barron, Potter, Murray, Dorman, O'Donnell, Thomson, Mehmet, Higdon, Dargo, Howard, Brady, Robb, Loy.

Rangers (from): Alexander, Whittaker, Wilson, Smith, Davis, McCulloch, Thomson, Fleck, Novo, Naismith, Lafferty, Little, McGregor, Broadfoot, Wylde, Boyd, Miller, Bougherra.

My team for tommorow would be:

-----------------McGregor--------------------
    -------------------------------------------------
    Broadfoot---Wilson---Bougherra----Smith
    -------------------------------------------------
    ----Davis------McCulloch----Thomson-------
    --------------------------------------------------
    --------------------Fleck------------------------
    ----------Little--------------Naismith----------

With Weir's suspension and the return of Bougherra it gives us our first opportunity to see Wilson and Bougherra together in the centre of defence. I'd drop Lafferty as he's been shocking and has done nothing to merit a start.

Naismith and Little looked as if they had a potentially good partnership on Wednesday night so I'd give them the nod. I wouldn't bring Boyd and Miller off the bench unless we find ourselves behind, as their absence in the past few weeks has shown how reliant we are on them. For them to get injured again would be a disaster.

Kick-off at 12:30 on BBC1.

6. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    let's not forget that rangers fans had directed racial slurs at edu and beasley a few short months ago, so to say it's likely this was committed by celtic supporters is ignorant and idiotic. read more post less

7. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    It was Edu, not Beasley.

8. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    still disgraceful

9. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    I didn't suggest it wasn't.

Would you describe Mark Walters' OF debut as "disgraceful"? Or does it depend on which side of the great divide the player being racially abused plays for?

:)

10. allegrabene

allegrabene New Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Alexandria, Va
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I absolutely consider what happened then to Walters to be disgraceful and condemn the act. It was an embarrasment to all who support Celtic. My comment wasn't to suggest that you don't think it's disgraceful. My comment was to temper the suggestion that this was likely committed by a Celtic supporter after the Killie match.

You see, there are plenty of nutters wearing blue as well that were capable of this act and to blatently say that this had to have come from a Celt supporter and could never have been instigated by a Gers supporter is nonsense. It's now being reported that the burd he was seeing was also involved with some shady characters in Glasgow and has nothing to do with an Old Firm rivalry. It's usually best to wait for all facts to come out before making thoughtless accusations.

And before YOU take offense at what I said above, I'm not directing this toward you specifically. I'm addressing the many accusations by others that this is an open and shut case and Scotland Yard should immediately start the investigation into each and every season book holder at Celtic Park to find out who did this. Fair dues to you BO, based on many of your sensible posts in the past, I'm sure you'd agree with this.

11. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Fair enough. But you can see why, if a Rangers player's vehicle gets attacked, many people would make the assumption that the culprit was a Celtic fan. It would be the same if a Celtic player had been on the receiving end of a similar incident (Boruc and Lennon are two I can remember who have been in recent years).

Couldn't agree more, but then most people are prone to wild speculation, myself included. On the blog that the guy Dan Loney wrote, most Americans seemed to jump to the conclusion that it was racially motivated. They almost seemed to want it to be of that nature.

I would indeed. :)

12. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    On-loan Michael McGlinchey comes into the Motherwell squad for the league meeting with Rangers at Fir Park.
    Giles Coke is suspended while Mark Fitzpatrick and Shaun Hutchinson are both out with hamstring injuries
    Rangers defender Sasa Papac has returned to fitness and will be available for the match as.
    Winger DaMarcus Beasley is still missing but is expected to be back at the weekend for Sunday's visit of John Hughes's Hibernian.
    Motherwell manager Craig Brown:
    "Rangers are 10 points clear at the top and although I hope they don't stretch that on Wednesday, they are favourites for the championship.
    "We are doing okay but we are keeping our feet on the ground.
    "We have managed to get 13 points out of 15, which is good, and the game where we lost the two points was Falkirk, where we had to play half the game with a man short.
    "They showed the resilience which will be needed against Rangers."
    Rangers manager Walter Smith:
    "I've only seen the Motherwell pitch on television and it doesn't look very good.
    "They have had a problem with their pitch for the last two or three years so it will not be the first time we have had to go and play there. It's the same for both sides.
    "I don't imagine it will be great for the Motherwell side to play on the pitch either, although they have obviously gained a bit of experience from having to do so which is maybe a slight advantage for them.
    "From our own point of view, if we have to change our way or playing, we will just have to find a way of doing that."
    Motherwell (from): Ruddy, Reynolds, Craigan, Hammell, Jennings, Saunders, Lasley, Hateley, Jutkiewicz, O'Brien, Sutton, Humphrey, McGlinchey, Fraser, Murphy, Forbes, McHugh, Meechan.
    Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Smith, Bougherra, Broadfoot, Wilson, Davis, Thomson, McCulloch, Naismith, Miller, Lafferty, Boyd, Novo, Little, Alexander, Fleck, Papac, Edu..

Fir Park hasn't been a happy hunting ground for Rangers in recent times. I'll take a 1-0 win and run.

13. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well what an eventful time I had watching the Old Firm game. When I first went to the pub it was just me and 9 Celtic fans. Then half an hour into the game they switched it over for the Spurs game. I then had to show these 9 Celtic fans another pub to watch it in! Bloody tourists… Anyway what an end to the game!

14. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I'm a happy clapper and a glass half full kind of guy but all hope is gone for me for this season.

First half was even steven. Second half Rangers dominated from start to finish and deserved the victory. Hard to take for me but you can't win 'em all.

15. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats on the derby win. As far as I remember, I had already congratulated you on the championship title a few weeks ago...;)

16. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    It's been reported in today's papers that a company called Marlsborough Investments have made a bid for the club:

[​IMG]

More to follow in due course.......

17. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any good places to watch tommarows game over the net? or just from the ranger site?

18. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

You can watch it on Rangers Live, however from what i've heard it's no more reliable than normal online streams and costs.

One of these will do the business:

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?ma...02&part=sports
    http://www.atdhe.net/14418/watch-rangers-vs-st-mirren
    http://www.p2p4u.net/watch/13315/1/w...st-mirren.html
    http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/13...ve-stream.html
    http://www.iraqgoals.net/6662-ranger...t-mirren-.html
    http://www.footballstreaming.info/streams/todays-links/
    http://www.veetle.com/frameworked/in...#4b7081a3b1345

Rangers v St Mirren
    Saturday, 6 March 2010

Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League
    Venue: Ibrox Stadium Date: Saturday 6 March Kick-off: 1500 GMT
    Coverage: BBC Radio Scotland commentary is available via BBC Sport website. Highlights online.

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra is doubtful for the visit of St Mirren as he struggles with a hamstring injury, with Danny Wilson set to deputise.

Lee McCulloch should return from an ankle knock that kept him out of Scotland's victory against the Czech Republic on Wednesday.

Chris Innes has been passed fit for St Mirren, while defender Jack Ross is still out with an ankle injury.

On-loan Rory Loy is not allowed to play against his parent club.

Rangers (from): McGregor, Whittaker, Papac, Weir, Bougherra, Davis, Thomson, McCulloch, Edu, Lafferty, Novo, Miller, Boyd, Beasley, Fleck, Little, Wilson, Alexander.

St Mirren (from): Gallacher, Innes, Mair, Barron, Potter, Robb, Thomson, Dorman, Carey, Murray, Higdon, Dargo, Mehmet, Johnston, O'Donnell, Howard, McLennan, Burns, Ramsay.

Sky Sports News:

Champions Rangers could go 13 points clear at the top of the table on Saturday as they host St Mirren.

The Buddies look to have an unenviable task ahead of them at Ibrox - a ground they have not won at since 1991.

Coupled with that, St Mirren have gone eight games without a win - although they have lost just one in their last four.

Rangers are still on a high following their Old Firm victory last week and boss Walter Smith will not want any slip-ups.

Lee McCulloch looks set to make the match despite an ankle injury which forced him off against Celtic and also meant he could not play for Scotland in midweek.

Should McCulloch not make the match then Maurice Edu - who scored the winner against Celtic - will come to replace him.

Defensive star Madjid Bougherra does look set to miss out as he has a hamstring injury which prevented him from playing for Algeria on Wednesday.

St Mirren boss Gus MacPherson is hoping his defensive injury problems are easing.

Jack Ross missed their last outing with Hamilton - but John Potter, David Barron, Lee Mair and Chris Innes did go into the game.

Innes was forced off against Hamilton and looks the least likely to make the match at Ibrox.

Rory Loy is ineligible as he cannot face his parent club during his loan, whilst Chris Smith and Tom Brighton are sidelined.

Confirmed starting 11:

McGregor
    Whittaker
    Weir
    Wilson
    Papac
    Davis
    McCulloch
    Thomson
    Beasley
    Boyd
    Miller

19. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
  20. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  21. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8556209.stm

22. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_6035185,00.html

23. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Manchester City are one of a number of Premier League clubs interested in signing highly-rated Rangers youngster Danny Wilson, according to a report from The Scottish Sun.

Whilst Liverpool appear to be favourites to land the 18-year-old centre-back, City are also believed to be hovering with intent, whilst Tottenham Hotspur and Aston Villa are also reported as monitoring his situation.

The player, who is in line to be Scotland's Young Player of the Year according to many observers, has 15 months to run on his current contract.

He has not yet agreed to sign a new deal, though, and the Gers may be tempted to cash in the £3 million-rated starlet in the summer.

24. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009
    Walter Smith: We won't confirm pre-season trip to US until we know where we've finished in league

RANGERS are mulling over a trans-Atlantic trek in the summer to prepare them for an assault on all fronts next season.

Manager Walter Smith refused to confirm details with the SPL trophy still technically up for grabs.

However, he revealed the club are considering an east coast expedition that could take in top-class clashes in Miami, New York and Toronto.

The champions' season will kick-off with the start of the domestic campaign on August 14 - although the SPL runners-up will face a Champions League qualifier a month earlier on July 13.

Despite the fact it seems only a matter of time before the Ibrox club lift the SPL crown, Smith admits he is still wary of planning anything before he knows for certain when their season kicks off next term.

He said: "We have offers in America and Canada for pre-season and a few offers in Europe. But one of the difficulties is not knowing when you're going to start your season - until you either win or don't win a championship.

"The difference between the two is quite dramatic this year so it's difficult to settle on a plan.

"The talk for the American trip was about one in New York, one in Miami and one in Toronto so we have options - but we can't commit as yet."

Smith is hedging his bets for the time being.

But he does want to take another big stride towards the trophy this midweek with Aberdeen - the only SPL team Gers haven't beaten this season - visiting on Wednesday night.

After a 0-0 draw at Ibrox and a 1-0 defeat at Pittodrie, the Rangers gaffer said: "We always seem to bring out the best in them.

"I'm not sure if there's any particular reason for that but hopefully we can reverse the trend.

"We were in the midst of a series of 0-0 draws when we played them at Ibrox the last time and this time we'll look to hit a better level of form."

That reverse at Pittodrie was their only league defeat of the season until last week's catastrophic 4-1 crash at St Johnstone.

But in hindsight, Smith insisted: "Disappointment was the over-riding emotion this week, not anger.

"It's hard for me to look at such a small group of players, guys we've asked to perform week in week out, and criticise them.

"It was only their second defeat in the league all season. These things happen.

"Look at Aston Villa, they've lost seven matches.

"Over the campaign everyone has a game when things go against you. We've enjoyed a bit of luck and it deserted us in midweek.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/footba...here-we-ve-finished-in-league-86908-22161573/