Rangers 2008 - 2009 thread

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Burkies Ginger Mop, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It's still a big ask! I think I'd rather be going to Celtic park looking for the win to be honest.

I'm going to be in America with work on Sunday as well. Early rise for me.

2. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  3. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I'm no fan of what Lafferty did, but I hardly put it in the same category of Loovens, who has yet to answer for his crimes. Sure, another professional was sent off. At least that other professional wasn't injured in the process.

Let's remember that it was Rangers and Walter Smith that stood up and said, "This is not the type of action that we condone" and fined their own player. What was the reaction from Looven's club when he was doing this...

[​IMG]

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Loovens should receive a ban for that when the video panel resumes, and rightfully so. But lashing out at a player in the heat of a Glasgow derby is one thing.

Intentionally cheating to get a fellow professional sent off and winking to teammates immediately after the incident is quite something else and I'm rather astonished you're trying to compare the two.

As for the cardigans reaction... hmm...

Fined their player. Wow. What did they do to Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor after the Scotland debacle? Dropped them from the first team. What Lafferty did to a fellow professional was worse but I haven't heard anything other than a fine being banded about. While we're on about that it's strange that the SFA haven't taken immediate action regarding him.

After all they did write this -

Now Lafferty was cautioned for the tackle on Mulgrew that led to the incident but did not receive a sanction for the blatant simulation. Therefore, going by the SFA's own rules he should receive a 2nd yellow card and receive an automatic suspension.

But nothing has been mentioned regarding that. Only about Bougherra which I agree with in that his red should be reduced to a yellow as I don't think it can be construed as being serious foul play.

5. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    I compared the two because I consider one infinitely worse than another. Loovens “tackle” was done with the intention to do harm to a player that had been giving his team fits all game. There was nothing professional about it. An inch here or there and Loovens could have ended the career of a fellow professional.

While I don’t like what Lafferty did in the slightest, I see it as hardly different than the numerous times (at minimum once per game) that Nakamura or McDonald go diving about inside and outside the box in an attempt to gain a call. I’ll even throw in Kenny Miller in there as well since he seems to do it as well.

Lafferty’s actions were gamesmanship poorly played out. His apology was made because of how poorly the acting job was. Hell, that wasn’t the first time that someone dove while in a position like that (I believe it was someone on Hearts while playing against Rangers that tried the same thing).

The end result was a red card, not an attempted career ending injury. While Rangers were able to benefit from such a decision, the two sides were evened up quick enough when Rangers best defender was sent off.

As to Ferguson, McGregor and Scotland… I think that whole situation was a farce and hardly worth the issue that it came to be. The suspension of those two players by the national team for what amounted to one hour longer at the bar than six others (one of which was Scott Brown, who started) was absurd.

The v-symbol I cannot and will not defend. I just think the whole thing was a big pile of absurdity that started with a coach looking to put McGregor on the bench with any excuse that he could.

Having said that, if Ferguson isn’t suspended by Rangers, they would not be in the position they are in now.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'd disagree with that on two points.

1. My honest opinion is you're trying to make the Loovens tackle into something far bigger than it was. Now we're talking about a possible career ending injury. If that's the extremes we're taking it to then how many possible career ending challenges, give or take an inch, happen in any weekend in any professional league?

2. Edu was giving Celtic fits all game...? Hardly. The guy had a decent game but at the end of the day to suggest he was giving us fits seems like more than a bit of a reach for me.

I see it as totally different. Players try to gain an advantage by making the most of minimal contact all the time. I'd prefer to see it stamped out completely, regardless of who is the instigator, but Lafferty intentionally got a fellow professional sent off. He wasn't trying to win a free kick in a dangerous area. He was intentionally getting a red card for another professional footballer. Totally different in my view.

Lovenkrands... Ricksen...

So you're telling me that Loovens intentionally tried to end Edu's career?!?!

I thought we were having a serious discussion... ;):D

Oh, and any thoughts on the SFA rules regarding blatant simulation...?

7. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Not in the slightest. Loovens went after Edu’s knee. Any time a player goes after another player with the intent to injure (and there is no debating that Loovens’ goal was to injure) that person is looking to end the other’s career. Players know this when they are going in. You can’t “sort of” injure someone. If you are looking to step on and bend a player’s knee in a direction that it is not supposed to bend, what do you think he’s trying to do?

Being as Edu dominated the midfield, disposed of McGeady when he came on and basically was the best player on the pitch, yeah, I would definitely say that he was giving Celtic fits all game.

You can disagree all you like. The results are what shows.

It absolutely is the same thing. If McDonald or Miller go down in the box, the result is an automatic red for contact. How is feigning a head butt any different?

Both are feigning injury/contact in order to gain an advantage.

As I previously stated, anytime you go in with the intent to injure, you are looking to end someone’s career.

Loovens is an untalented thug that should have been immediately suspended for the remainder of the season. The fact that he was able to play on the Tuesday afterwards and the Saturday after that tells me all I need to know about the SPL.

Suspend Lafferty. I wouldn’t have a problem with that. Then, go back and watch McDonald and Nakamura diving left and right and suspend them. Simulation is simulation is simulation…

That it takes so long for these reviews to occur is absurd.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Edu plays central midfield and McGeady plays wide left but he nullified McGeady...

I think I'll just agree to disagree or we'll be here all night. And Bougherra was the best player on the pitch.

9. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    McGeady was dangerous for one play his entire time on the pitch. That play resulted in Edu stripping him of the ball, McGeady ending up on the ground and the play moving forward.

[​IMG]

But, yeah, you are right. They never had any interaction. Nope. None. At. All.

I can see the argument for Bougherra made.

Meanwhile, I'll just point out this Evening Times article. It seems as though the SFA has had time to video review Lafferty's dive:
    I think my point is proven based on the fact that no word has yet been mentioned on Loovens despite that act having occurred a week prior to Lafferty's dive.

The SPL, where if you fake getting headbutted, they will review you immediately. If you intentionally try to injure and potentially destroy the career of another professional it will be reviewed... maybe.

10. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

So the right back showing him inside had nowt to do with that play...?

And McGeady's most dangerous moment was when he received the ball in the box, spun, and lashed a right foot shot into the side netting. Not when he was covered by two players on the left wing...

Blinkered... not much...

11. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    now now boys, simmer down.

championees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Well done to Rangers.

A convincing win at Tannadice.

Congratulations on winning the SPL.

13. barack_obampot

barack_obampot BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 28, 2009

You're not a Celtic fan.

No way.

You're actually dignified, and magmanimous in defeat. :p

14. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

:p

I hate the fact that we've lost the league to you guys but at the end of the day you have most points and therefore deserve the title.

And you had an excellent result today. I was at Parkhead and haven't seen it but I'd heard that you were all over Utd so congrats and enjoy yourself in the CL next season.

Maybe we'll join you, and maybe we wont.

15. Lichte for Life

Apr 13, 2007

Congrats to Rangers, and you, kind sir, have class. I hope Celtic join Rangers in the CL next season, and I hope they both go far in the competiton. After all, if both do well in the CL, it speaks well of the SPL

16. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats on winning the championship! If you get a convincing 3:0 away win at Tennadice, it's a deserved title.

17. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Congrats. I thought United would put up more of a fight but I guess the final result shows the class of this season's Rangers squad. All though I'm a bit angry it was a deserved title.

18. Pedro's greasy do

Nov 7, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    It shows a touch of class to come and say well done. Thanks.

It's a great feeling to be champions after what feels like a long time. Gutted I'm in America and cannot enjoy it the same!

19. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on taking the SPL with a convincing 3-0 result on the road. Now that the season is over with, I was wondering what you all think will happen concerning Ferguson and McGregor?

20. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

Thanks. I think Ferguson will be sold to a Championship club for circa £1m; I don't see him getting a game next season with Thomson, Davis, Mendes and Edu ahead of him in the pecking order.

As for McGregor I seem to be one of the few Rangers fans who rates him highly, I'll be disappointed if he's sold for anything under £5m. I hope he stays next season, although with our debts, every players has his price unfortunately.

21. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I see Baz satying if he wants to stay at Gers albeit in a drastically reduced role.

he could go to work with McLeish at Birmingham who has been promoted, or to Burley...maybe to Newcastle who will want to snap right back up...

Mac will be back, money shouldn't be an issue to keep him especially with the CL Group Stage moneys in now.

22. barack_obampot

Feb 28, 2009

I wouldn't mind Ferguson staying as the whole "giving the fingers" boozegate fiasco was blown out of proportion, although he was childish in doing it. He'd be a good player to have for european games, his experience would be vital. However if a bid of £1m or over came in for him i'd get rid.

A player I'd like to see us sign is Aguiar from Hearts - proven SPL performer, wages would be cheap, available on a free. Would be good backup:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Aguiar

I also watch the reserves regularly and a few young lads could step up to the first team, namely Wylde, Wilson, Hemmings, Aaron, Campbell, Ness.

23. The Tartan Hoop

The Tartan Hoop New Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Near Glasgow
    Well Done Fellas, sorry it's late just back online today! :D

24. Paddster

Paddster New Member

Dec 20, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Club:
    Glasgow Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    hope we can keep this defence together. papac, weir or a better replacement, the bougie man and whittiker. (sorry my spelling is pish, workin in subway full time is kinda brain numbin! just before someone points it out haha)

i think we need to get a good winger, we have good center mids, dont mind if barry leaves, would be good to get an extra mil in the kitty.

maybe a good classy striker aswell, but that will be stretchin our tiny budget most likely!

does anyone know how much we are in debt? i heard 40 mil, i heard 100 mil.

25. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I don't know for definite but it's nowhere near the second number or you would have ceased to exist by now.