Random World Cup Facts

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by benztown, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This is your original post:

In 1930 and 1950; they didn't miss the QF - they missed the whole fucking WC. Understand the difference?

Saying they, "They missed the quarter finals" implies they made it to the round of 18 and had a chance to actually, "make it to the QF".

Hayaka repped this.
  2. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not really, "miss" can imply a number of things. Since Germany were "missing" from the WC50 quarterfinal round, my statement stands as is beyond further qualitatively questioning.

3. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    LOL.

4. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I suppose you could make some sort of argument that Germany "missed" the 1930 World Cup QFs, since they voluntarily chose not to take part, but wasn't Germany banned from participating in WC-1950? I don't know how you can "miss" the QF of a tournament in which you're not even allowed to participate. It would be like saying the USMNT "missed" the 2015 Women's World Cup. They didn't miss it, they were never eligible for it.

Cris 09 repped this.
  5. HomokHarcos

HomokHarcos Member+

Jul 2, 2014
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't change the fact that 1950 was one of three times Germany didn't make the quarterfinals. Unless you want us to award them with a quarterfinal appearance that World Cup.

6. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Germany missed the quarterfinal of WC50, regardless of the reasons why. They did not play at any stage of that tournament, including the quarterfinals.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok...:rolleyes:

I understand if English is not your first language.

8. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Let's not forget that Germany also failed to reach the quarterfinals of the 1942 and 1946 World Cups as well. :rolleyes:

Cris 09 and BocaFan repped this.
  9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There was nothing to be missed those two years, unlike 1950.

10. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What happened to "regardless of the reasons why"? :sneaky:
    Germany didn't have a choice in 1950 just as everyone had no choice in '42 and '46. It's not like India missing 1950.

Cris 09 repped this.
  11. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alternative facts!

12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There are no reasons for 1942 or 1946, just like there are no reasons for 1929 or 2015.

The event happened, Germany was not there --> Germany missed it.

13. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can't miss something you are not a part of - that is what people are trying to get through to you and you seem to be stuck. Put it in D and move forward. It's like saying, I missed becoming the Valedictorian of Harvard in 1998, even though I didn't attend.

14. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I was about to say I guess I "missed" running for U.S. President last year, even though I wasn't born here and thus not eligible to run. :)

Cris 09 repped this.
  15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Or better yet, Paul Ryan missed getting his party's nomination in 2015...even though he didn't run.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not according to one of the main definitions of the word. Once again, you attempt to bring in elaborate semantics to something that is clear as day.

upload_2017-1-30_13-2-6.png

Germany was not at the WC50 quarterfinals, thus it can accurately be said they missed it.

17. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If your interpretation were correct, a dead person would "fail to attend" or "miss" their own funeral. :p

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Kosovo have never missed a World Cup final. Discuss.

Pipiolo repped this.
  19. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    [​IMG]

Just to follow up Pipiolo, on the definition you supplied: No one expected Germany to participate in the 1950 World Cup. If they had showed up and tried to take the field, the reaction would have been: "what the hell are you doing?"

20. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Soooo, can we all stop arguing about something so meaningless?....... at least on public forum?

This is all I see:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:rolleyes:

It is more than clear that both sides are stubborn and sticking to their original point of view, regardless of what the other side says.. No point in back-and-forth bickering across multiple pages of a great thread, diluting the generally great content.

If you guys are still invested in the subject for whatever reason, maybe you can exchange info through PM and continue this veeeeerrry important discussion privately.

deejay repped this.
  21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    LOL

It is not like we are derailing the thread. It is pretty hard to derail a thread that, aside from the current argument, has had only 29 posts in the last three years.

Indeed, it could be said that this discussion has reinvigorated the thread by attracting new people.

Cris 09 and unclesox repped this.
  22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    After reaching (and losing) the first ever World Cup final in 1930, Argentina wouldn't reach the quarterfinals of another World Cup until 1966.
    '66 also marked the first time Argentina reached the quarterfinals of a World Cup held in Europe (the fifth time it was held in that continent).

23. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Errr...no.

There has never even been a World Cup, since at least one nation somewhere has not joined FIFA yet.

Germany was banned, I know that. Guess what? they still missed the WC50 quarterfinals.

Those are all accurate statements at face value. Unlike a pedantic and horrible language like German, English does not have words such as "missedbybanishmentfvck" or "missedbygroupexit". Germany "missed" WC50 (or any of its stages) does just fine by the language.

BocaFan repped this.
  24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But I am right on this one :whistling:

25. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But they, like your statemnt, don't tell the whole story.
    And as noted, there are new people viewing this thread for the first time who may be new to the sport and want to learn more about the World Cup. Context and clarity is all some of us are asking for.

"Germany did not reach the quarterfinals of the 1950 World Cup."

So how far did Germany get in the 1950 World Cup?
    Better still, which eight countries did reach the quarterfinals of the 1950 World Cup?