Random World Cup Facts

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Russia' started by benztown, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Fastest hat-trick was made by Hungary's Laszlo Kiss against El Salvador in 1982, when he scored after 70, 74 and 77 minutes. He is infact also the only substitute to have scored a hat-trick.

2. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Only player to have scored for two countries is Robert Prosinecki who represented Yugoslavia in 1990 scoring against the United Arab Emirates, and Croatia in 1998 scoring against Jamaica

Players who have appeared for two countries in World Cup history are: Luis Monti (Argentina 30 and Italy 34), Ferenc Puskas (Hungary 54 and Spain 62), José Santamaria (Uruguay 54 and Spain 62), Mazola (Brazil 58, Italy 62 [then known as José Altafini]), Robert Prosinecki and Robert Jarni both for Yugoslavia in 90 and Croatia in 98.

First player ever to be sent off in a World Cup match was Peru's Mario de Las Casas against Romania in 1930. HELL YEA :D

Belgium has taken 5 pk's and made all 5, aswell as South Korea (5/5) 100%

Mexico has taken 7 penalty kicks, and only converted 2 in all their WC apperances, that is a 28.6% ratio, the worst.

3. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    BIGGEST VICTORIES

1982 - Hungary v El Salvador 10-1
    1954 - Hungary v South Korea 9-0
    1974 - Yugoslavia v Zaïre 9-0
    1938 - Sweden v Cuba 8-0
    1950 - Uruguay v Bolivia 8-0
    2002 - Germany v Saudi Arabia 8-0

Most successive wins:
    7 wins - Italy in 1934-38 and Brazil in 2002

Most successive defeats:
    9 defeats - Mexico 1930 & 1950-1958

4. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In the Spain-Brazil match it was Michel that didn't get a goal. That shot was clearly over the line. The ref was an Australian, pity for me. It's the only controversial decision I've known involving an Aussie ref at a major tornament. I don't know about any others.

How about Italy vs South Korea?

There's a guy in Canada called Nick Scurtu who has thousands of games. This is his website:

www.geocities.com/nickvideotapes

In the US, there's a guy called Tony Federici but I forgot his website address. I'll try to look for it.

5. Dominique Rocheteau

Dominique Rocheteau New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Canada
    I'm not sure about this but I think OLeg Salenko never played another international game after his 5 goal game

6. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich

This is Tony's website:

www.raresoccervideos.com

7. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not counting the World Cups of 1930 and 1934...
    Portugal (1966) and Croatia (1998) have gone the farthest in their first appearance at the World Cup finals, both reaching the semi-final stage and eventually finishing third.

West Germany and Yugoslavia met at the quarterfinal stage in three consecutive World Cups ('54, '58, '62)

Austria's three goals at France 98 - one goal in each of their three first-round matches - were all scored in second half injury time.

8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I remember there being a lot of questions by the press when it was learned that Chris Bambridge of Australia had been given the assignment to take charge of the anticipated Brasil-Spain match.
    I don't really fault him for not giving the goal. In cases like that I feel the linesman is more at fault.
    Shortly after that goal/no goal play, Brazil took a corner and 'scored' on what clearly was a hand ball. Bambridge didn't give the goal, but the Spanish players were upset that no yellow card was issued to the player who punched the ball in.
    This match was played on the second day of the tournament, and although the Aussie ran the line in a couple other games I can't recall him being the man in the middle for any other matches in Mexico 86.

Italy -v- South Korea was okay in my opinion. It was interesting during the 20 minute spell from when Korea equalized to the own goal putting Italy two-up. Probably ranked ahead of the last three matches I listed but I wouldn't rush out to get it. ;)

9. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Wasn't '02 Turkey's appearance their first? I guess if it was you would have mentioned it, but I always thought that was their debut.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    1954 Switzerland

11. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turkey debuted in 1954. 2002 was their second appearance. :)

12. Sagy

Sagy Member

Aug 6, 2004
    They played in 1954, losing to West Germany, beating South Korea and losing to West Germany again (in a playoff). The other team in the group was Hungary.

13. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Here are some more:

In 1990 both semi finals were decided by penalty shoot-outs.

Greece didn't score a single goal at the 1994 World Cup and lost all of their three group maches. They conceded a total of 10 goals at that World Cup.

The top three most attended World Cups are USA 1994 (68,991 average attendance), Brazil 1950 (60,773 average attendance) and Mexico 1970 (52,312 average attendance).

Two players have scored in four World Cup tournaments, Pele and German Uwe Seeler. Both have scored at the 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970 World Cups.

The only players to have scored in every match including the final are Jairzinho of Brazil, who did this in the 1970 World Cup and Alcide Ghiggia of Uruguay in 1950. The latter only played four games where as Jairzinho played six.

The fastest goal by a substitute was made by Ebbe Sand of Denmark against Nigeria in the second round in 1998. Sand scored only 16 secs after coming on in Denmark's 4-1 win.

The only players to have scored in two World Cup finals are Vava of Brazil in 1958 and 1962, Pelé of Brazil 1958 and 1970 and Paul Breitner of West Germany in 1974 and 1982.

The first player to score a hat-trick in a World Cup match was United States's Bert Patenaude who did this against Paraguay in the first round of the 1930 World Cup.

The first own-goal in World Cup history was scored by Ernst Lötscher of Switzerland against Germany in a first round replay game in 1938.

The only player to have scored a goal plus an own-goal in the same match is Ernie Brandts of Holland in the second phase match against Italy in 1978. The Dutch team won 2-1.

The only man to coach five different countries in World Cup history is Yugoslavian Bora Milutinovic (Mexico 86, Costa Rica 90, United States 94, Nigeria 98 and China 2002). It's worth noticing that Milutinovic took all his first four teams past the first round group stage, but failed to take China through.

The only coach to win the World Cup twice was Vittorio Pozzo who guided Italy to the title both in 1934 and 1938.

The lowest attendance recorded from one match is from the very first World Cup in Uruguay in 1930 when only 300 people turned up to see the first round match between Romania and Peru (3-1).

The youngest player to have played in a World Cup is Norman Whiteside of Northern Ireland. He was just 17 years and 41 days old when he played against Yugoslavia in 1982.

Players who have appeared for two countries in World Cup history are: Luis Monti (Argentina 30 and Italy 34), Ferenc Puskas (Hungary 54 and Spain 62), José Santamaria (Uruguay 54 and Spain 62), Mazola (Brazil 58, Italy 62 [then known as José Altafini]), Robert Prosinecki and Robert Jarni both for Yugoslavia in 90 and Croatia in 98.

The only one who has scored for two countries is Prosinecki.

The Shortest World Cup career in terms of minutes on the field is shared between two players. Tunisia's Khemais Labidi played two minutes against Mexico in 1978. Argentina's Marcelo Trobbiani played the last two minutes of his country's 3-2 final win over West Germany in 1986.

The fastest substitution came in 1998, when Italy's Alessandro Nesta was replaced by Giuseppe Bergomi in the match against Austria after only 4 minutes.

The man who has refereed most matches is Frenchman Joël Quiniou. He was in charge of 8 matches between 1986-1994 with four of them coming in USA '94. Nicolaj Latychev (RUS 1962), José Ramiz Wright (BRA 1990) and Jan Langenus (BEL 1930) have also refereed four times in one tournament - which is a record also.

The youngest coach for a World Cup team was Juan Jose Tramutola of Argentina, 27 years and 267 days old when his country opened their campaign against France in 1930.

The record of most matches as coach in World Cup tournaments belongs to Germany's legendary Helmut Schön who led his team 25 times between 1966-1978.

The youngest starting line-up in a World Cup game was fielded by Yugoslavia against Brazil in 1930. The average age was only 21 years and 258 days.

The oldest starting line-up in a World Cup game was fielded by Germany against Iran in 1998. The average age was 31 years and 345 days. That record is closely followed by Belgium whose average age against Mexico the same year was 31 years and 304 days.

Brazil as well as Argentina received a total of 9 red cards in all their World Cup appearances. A record.

A total of 114 red cards (including expulsions before red cards were introduced in 1970) have been given in World Cup history and Rigobert Song of Cameroon is the only player to have been sent off more than once. He received marching orders against Brazil in 1994 and against Chile in 1998.

The first goalkeeper ever to be sent off was Gianluca Pagliuca of Italy against Norway in 1994.

The first player to be sent off in a World Cup final was Pedro Monzon of Argentina against West Germany in 1990. His teammate Gustavo Dezotti also received a red card later in that match. Marcel Desailly of France is the only other player to have been sent off in a final when he got expelled against Brazil in 1998.

The record of most red cards given by one referee belongs to Arturo Brizio Carter of Mexico. He sent off 7 players in the 6 games he was in charge of between 1994-1998.

Germany and Argentina each won 3 penalty shoot-outs without ever losing one.

The team first shooting in a shoot out has won 7 of the 16 shoot-outs, or 43.75% of them.

At the 1982 World Cup, France were leading 3-1 against Kuwait when Alain Giresse blasted home number four from close range with the Kuwaiti defenders rooted to the spot. They maintained they had stopped upon hearing a whistle. The Kuwaiti FA president, Prince Fahid, came on to the field from his seat in the stands and protested long and hard. He threatened to take the team off the field if the referee didn't disallow the goal. Referee Stupar from Russia changed his mind and did what the Prince told him to do. The Prince was later fined £8.000 by FIFA, but being one of the richest men in the world, it wasn't a fee to be bothered about.

14. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What do you mean by "a goal plus an own goal?" If you are talking about Brandts scoring a goal and an own goal in one match, you wrong on that fact because Arie Haan scored the winning goal in that match.

In France 98, Belgium's captain was Franky Van Der Elst and he was 37 years old.

15. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Brands scored an own goal in the 18th minute to give Italy the lead. He then equalized the game himself in the 50th minute. Ari Haan scored the winner in the 75th minute. So you see there is no contradiction.

16. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    Argentina v. Belgium, for Maradona's second goal.

17. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I was waiting for this one. Vava, of course, is the only one to score in successive finals.

Has anyone besides Mario Zagalo and Beckenbauer won as player and coach?

Is France the only defending champion not to score a goal in the next world cup (2002)?

18. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

i heard the fans threw rotten tomatoes at them..

19. girco

girco New Member

Jul 3, 2005
    São Paulo
    In 1938 WC match Brasil 6x5 Poland, Leônidas da Silva scored a hat-trick still in the first half. In the second half, the "Black Diamond" scored his fourth goal while barefoot in the mud, after having flung his wet boots off

20. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Just for that? I've got that goal on video but not the rest of the match. Is the rest of the match worth buying?

Does anyone recommmend Argentina vs Uruguay in the second round?

21. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That's true.

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    That was a fairly good one. Traditional rivals meeting since the first World Cup. Both teams wore their alternate strip, and Uruguay coach Omar Borras had to sit in the stands for his comments after the Scotland fiasco.
    I haven't watched it in many many years, but I seem to remember Arg-Uru being a bit physical with moments of good play and close chances for both sides.
    Uruguay had an excellent chance to equalize right after the goal, but the shot just went wide from about 5 yards out. I think it was Francescoli who missed.
    The second half was marred with strong winds and, eventually, torrential rain.
    Someone for Argentina made a great run down the right and crossed for Maradona to score, but the goal was disallowed as Maradona was called for pushing off his defender.
    And Rueben Paz shot a screamer towards the end that flashed across the face of goal.
    Yeah, I'd recommend that one. :)

Argentina-Belgium? I remember very little of that one other than the goals.
    After Mexico 86 ended, I went back through all the videos and dubbed onto another tape a chronological highlight package of goals and missed chances for my personal collection. It lasts about 6 1/2 hours, with about 5-10 minutes dedicated to each match. I'll search for the Arg-Bel match and let you know what I think. ;)

23. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you unclesox.

24. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You've probably read the match highlights elsewhere, but here's my take from what I've seen:

Arg 1-0 Uru
    1st half
    -- Maradona crosses to wide open Valdano who runs on and only manages a glancing header past far post,
    -- Maradona free kick from about 35 yards hits crossbar,
    -- Scrappy goal by Pasculli nothing to write home about, but only goal of match,
    -- The Uruguay chance I'd described previously was actually from around 15 yards out. Long pass into the box comes off Arg defender, Francescoli and Cabrera (I think) get in each other's way as they chase loose ball, Cabrera eventually shooting wide.

2nd half
    -- Long ball to Maradona down right flank, flicks ball past one defender, goes round another in the box as though he isn't there, crosses past oncoming Alvez but ball is too far for Pasculli who slides in and just fails to touch home,
    -- Francescoli free kick 30 yards not held by Pumpido, defenders scramble ball out of danger,
    -- Pasculli clever run into left side of box, crosses to Burruchaga whose second effort is headed off the line by (looks like) Bossio or Acevedo,
    -- Through ball down middle to Maradona who beats offside trap, runs and blasts low from 15 yards held nicely by Alvez,
    -- Brilliant midfield run by Maradona whose pass sets off Valdano down right, moves in and shoots at oncoming Alvez who gets hand to ball which bounces in front of goal for Maradona to tap in, but he's called for pushing off defender while wonderfully trying to get into position during Valdano's run,
    -- From throw-in, Paz rockets past far post in windy conditions,
    -- Driving rain puts damper on rest of match, but there's one moment in closing stages where a defensive mistake allows Paz to blast a shot which produces a great parry by Pumpido, loose ball results in Francescoli sliding into Pumpido and Garre. Tempers almost flare from foul but officials able to calm everyone.

Classic moments by Maradona is worth the purchase of the match. ;)

Arg 2-0 Bel

I used to consider this match a bore. Especially the first half. The only thing worth mentioning here is a wicked 30 yard Maradona shot that Pfaff was able to keep out. Valdano followed up by bundling ball in but ruled to have handled (ball came off his arm).
    But if all you've ever seen from this match is the two goals, I'd still consider getting the full match because the second half has moments of more "Maradona magic" that makes it worth the purchase:

-- Burruchaga's through ball cleverly flicked first time by Maradona past Pfaff for 1-0,
    -- Belgium struggles to create clear openings, but their best chance comes from a corner which is played out for Grun (?) to shoot, but his low miskick finds an unmarked and surprised Clausen at the edge of 6 yard box, Clausen fails to hit cleanly and ball goes high over bar.
    -- Maradona flicks to Enrique who blasts open shot high,
    -- Valdano sets up Olarticoechea whose first timer is brilliantly saved by Pfaff to his left,
    -- Maradona's second goal almost a mini-repeat of the brilliance against England; classic run past 2-3 defenders ending with a strong left-footed finish,
    -- Maradona run down left, shakes off two defenders and shoots inches wide of far post,
    -- Argenitna counter with long ball from back finds Maradona winning the ball against a defender down the right, ball reaches end line for Maradona to cross past oncoming Pfaff and in path of Valdano who blasts over open goal from 18 yards.

:)

25. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thank you for your summaries. You are a very reliable source. Your summary has confirmed to me that it will be good to get Argentina vs Uruguay and your summary of the Argentina vs Belgium semi-final has reminded me of the 1982 World Cup final. Dull in the first but more entertaining in the second but that's my thought anyway.