Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    After a bumpy couple of hours in the opening of the game I am now completely hooked on Outer Worlds. Really a great game that puts Bethesda's recent output to shame.

NORML repped this.
  2. Bazi

Bazi Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Wuerzburg (Germany)
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So I've had a week in which I was able to game quite a bit. I finished the Outer Worlds and now I have very mixed feelings about the game.

It starts with an interesting story exposition, but you need 1-2hours of getting used to the slightly dated game mechanics. Then as you progress it appears you're at the beginning of a deep RPG experience and you start enjoying yourself. After 8-10 hours or so you realise that there is no depth whatsoever to the game, the world, the quests and its mechanics. The balancing turned out to be horrible, the game is far too easy in combat, but also in the dialogue skill checks which makes the skill points you distribute meaningless as you pass 95% of all checks. Even worse you're almost exclusively doing fetch quests from point a to b to c for the majority of the game until the "story" is hurriedly wrapped up in the closing couple of hours. There's also a severe lack of interesting characters in this game.

So sadly I cannot really recommend it at full price.

For the majority of last week I played Borderlands 3 and it makes The Outer Worlds look even worse. It's not an RPG yet its world is more diverse, its characters far more interesting, its story more gripping and its combat, skill and class system infinitely better. It has some slight storytelling problems and is a couple of hours too long in the mid-section of the game but overall it was a far more enjoyable take on the "Crew+Spaceship+adventure" template than the Outer Worlds. Especially since the RPG aspects that should set the Outer Worlds apart were fell so flat.

If I can find the time I'll tackle the Jedi Fallen Order game next.

3. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100% maybe I'll have to try it on the hardest level but combat was very easy.

I did like the random interaction your companions would have with each other..

4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so... what are the good load outs early on in Outer Worlds?