Random Thoughts on Video Games

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by Ringo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My big concern with Horizon is how many times I've seen it compared to Far Cry. I have yet to play a Far Cry game that didn't burn me out quickly. Of course that is same concern I have with Ghost Recon: Wildlands but the idea of playing that with friends would totally make up for the open repetitive nature of the game. Co-op almost makes everything better.

2. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think as we all get older single player games are a bit boring after a while

I feel like this woukd get repetitive but it looks good

3. Mach1

Mach1 Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it's just getting older... For me, it seems like there hasn't been a huge amount of innovation on the gameplay front in a while. Sure, gimmicks will appear (motion controls or VR for instance) but in terms of the games themselves, they feel kind of the same to me. Take any open world or FPS game today, for instance, and compare them to their counterparts 10 years ago, and they feel similar. The controls might be tighter and there may be some additional mechanics (now with jetpacks!), but the core is the same. It hasn't changed. So to get back to your point, I don't think we're necessarily getting older, it's just we're playing basically the same games over and over. It gets boring after a while. The last couple decades have done wonders for graphics in video games. You can't really say the gameplay has had the same amount of evolution.

thebigman repped this.
  4. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Microsoft announces a sort of Netflix style system for games.

Not sure if it'll be worth it, all depends on what is available:

LINK (warning for those who hate polygon, that is whose story I linked to)

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Similair to playstation now?

6. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Zelda BOTW has a metacritic score of 98...

7. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems the big difference is that the xbox games you download instead of stream.

I've begun to hunt for a WiiU.

teammellieIRANfan and thebigman repped this.
  8. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Good. I hope it can live up to Ocarina of Time. That game is the best. My Switch arrives tommorrow and I can not wait to play. I had zero expactations since I went on media black out. It is going to be amazing.

9. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most reviews for The Switch are out. I'm a bit cautious, generally what I'm seeing is that it's fantastic as a tablet gaming system (though only a 2-3 hour battery life), but when connected to a TV the issues start, with sub par visuals, massive frame rate dips, and an awkward control scheme. I'll still buy it if Nintendo delivers on first party releases, but I'm not someone who's ever really going to play games on the go. 99% of my video game playing is on my tv, and I worry this will just be another gimmick like the Wii U if that part really lacks.

10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Im a ps guy but i appreciate what nintendo is doing and their style of games

11. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Nintendo is all about pure gaming joy. Tempted to get the Switch, but decided to postpone purchase until there are few more games and maybe one more flagship title out on the system. When Mario Odyssey drops (man i salivate at the trailer), that is probably when i'll get the switch.
    Still have a bunch of WiiU games I want to play.

12. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got suckered into going to Best Buy last night to get one. Didn't pre-order, but it was no problem. My local BB has over 80 in stock so everyone that showed up walked out with one. Bought Zelda and downloaded Shovel Knight. It was 40% for me and 60% for my kids. My son asked a few times if we could get one.

teammellieIRANfan and NORML repped this.
  13. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya had a chance to play with it yet, Dante? Is the pad/tablet/switch really as thin as it looks?

14. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I would not call it thin like smartphone thin but it is not cumbersome. Really light and confortable. The screen looks good on it too. It is big step up on the Wii U gamepad in everyway.

NORML repped this.
  15. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how is Zelda? look good? notice any issues playing with it docked vs undocked?

16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got home set it up and went to bed, fine tuning it up today when I get out of work and will play a bit.

NORML repped this.
  17. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I like it so far. A lot of freedom and the game lets you do what you want which is a good change from Skyward Sword. I have only played in docked mode. Some slight frame dips but nothing major. It is has got that amazing feeling where you want to keep on exploring and uncovering the world.

18. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Damn it, now my fingers are really itching for a Switch

19. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Decided to buy Switch afterall. hehe
    Looked for the Switch in 6 different stores yesterday, like a nerd. Sold out everywhere :(
    Ordered it online along with Zelda, should hopefully arrive soon.

Will tell my impressions of it, after extensive gameplay of Zelda :p

NORML and General Disarray repped this.
  20. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Middle Earth: Shadow of War looks really ambitious.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, the first one was sick

22. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Guess what, you are completely wrong. Get it, its spectacular. Its neither repetitive nor generic, and for you to say that makes me think you have no clue what the game is about

23. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    @teammellieIRANfan Sorry if I that post sounds super aggressive, I didn't mean for it to read so hostile lol. But yea, Horizon is pretty awesome, and its not just the visuals. The attention to detail and the sublime gameplay is a treat, plus the story is good to boot. So far this year, its my GOTY. I just got a Switch and Zelda so I dunno if that will change, but Horizon is a worthwhile purchase.

After Zelda I'm gonna give Nier: Automata a run as its sitting on my PS4 just itching to get played, but Zelda always first :)

teammellieIRANfan repped this.
  24. teammellieIRANfan

Feb 28, 2009
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Lol no worries.

juventino13 repped this.
  25. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If ya got EA or Origin Access you can try out Mass Effect: Andromeda on March 16th. All progress made will carry over to the full game.