Random Thoughts About UK Television

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by frasermc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like his stand-up more than the other stuff but it's sometimes a bit hit and miss, yeah. Strange Car Share was on the iPlayer first and not normal' TV, though. The beeb getting it wrong, again :(

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just to prove the point...

'Pork Pie!' :D

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Had to bump this and set up my DVR.

4. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Dickensian.

20 short (30min) episodes incorporating all of Charles Dickens most famous characters and working them all into the same street/area of London at the same time to play out what (if the 1st episode is anything to go by) looks to be a good, old fashioned soap opera/who-dunnit.

Going by the 1st episode I think I might enjoy this from start to finish. A very promising beginning at the very least.

5. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    download.jpg

Call the Midwife -- Season 4

Well, they tried to write out my favorite character, Miranda Hart as Camilla "Chummy" Fortescue-Cholmeley Brown Noakes, in the second season, and seem to have succeeded in this fourth season, so there is some show runner out there who I despise. I almost wish they'd given her the Stringer Bell treatment...

But this is still an astounding show. The fourth season is becoming more melodramatic, and I don't know that this development is a bad thing, after all, It's a Wonderful Life is pretty melodramatic, and it works. But the writing seems a tad more forced and the restraint of the first two and a half seasons was the show's signature strength. It's more poignancy with a sledgehammer this season, but I'm still looking forward to whenever season 5 makes it to netflix.

6. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    2015 Wipe. Just superb. The end of year Wipe is always up there with the very best telly of the year.

frasermc repped this.
  7. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Bugger. I missed that. Meant to have it on planner as well. Will need to get it downloaded from i-player.

8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Radio Times Top 40 TV shows of 2015

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2015...51_994641787274621_994641787274621#f1dc585384

40. Professor Green: Suicide and Me
    39. The Bridge
    38. The Last Kingdom
    37. Downton Abbey
    36. W1A
    35. Homeland
    34. Peter Kay's Car Share
    33. Married at First Sight
    32. The Game
    31. The Jinx
    30. Man Down
    29. Inside No.9
    28. The Secret Life of 4, 5 and 6yr olds
    27. Last Tango in Halifax
    26. Broadchurch
    25. Peep Show
    24. The Catch
    23. Mr Robot
    22. Outlander
    21. Marvels Jessica Jones
    20. An Inspector Calls
    19. Toast of London
    18. First Dates
    17. The Hunt
    16. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    15. Humans
    14. Better Call Saul
    13. Unforgotten
    12. Game of Thrones
    11. Detectorists
    10. Mad Men
    9. Cucumber
    8. Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
    7. Dr Who
    6. The Great British Bake Off
    5. London Spy
    4. Poldark
    3. Catastrophe
    2. Doctor Foster
    1. Wolf Hall

I'm never sure what or how I would arrange my own personal list for things like this but I am pleased to see Catastrophe rated so highly by the critics. Best sitcom for some years in my opinion.

A few notable exceptions -

No Fargo...? Or Les Revenants (The Returned)...?

Also, regards sitcoms, I think Uncle on BBC3 is seriously underrated.

EDIT: Agent Carter also deserves a mention.

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Holy shit! Poldark at #4. That must be one heckuva remake because the original... well, let's just say it sucked and leave it at that.

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    "Just let me staple the Vicar!"

11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    #336 frasermc, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
    Finished watching 'And Then There Were None' (BBC) last night.

[​IMG]

In August 1939, eight people, all total strangers to each other, are invited to a small, isolated island off the coast of Devon, England, by a Mr. and Mrs. Owen. They settle in at a mansion tended by two newly hired servants, Thomas and Ethel Rogers, but their hosts are absent. When the guests sit down to dinner, they notice the centerpiece, ten figurines of soldiers in a circle. Afterward, Thomas Rogers puts on a gramaphone record, from which a voice accuses them all of murder.

A stellar cast for sure including Charles Dance, Sam Neill, Miranda Richardson, Aidan Turner and Toby Stephens. It was decent to above average but I couldn't give it any more than that.

It's an Agatha Christie whodunnit and it works. The reveal, when it happens, makes sense, for the most part. However there are a few things that annoyed me and probably ruined my enjoyment of it, especially as it moved into the final third (it was a 3 parter).

As per don't read the spoiler tags if you are planning on viewing and haven't already done so...

Show Spoiler
    So it makes sense that the judge (Charles Dance) is the killer. He is judge, jury and executioner and the law will always prevail hence why they all had to die. But how did he know some of their darkest secrets? How did he know Sam Neill's general shot his 2nd in command in cold blood on the trenches for having an affair with his wife for instance...?

Also, Lombard's (Aidan Turner) death was a huge cop out for me. Realistically Lombard would have been the most difficult for the Judge to kill off. He was aware they were being hunted and was on high alert. He was physically strong and armed (for most of the duration) making it nigh on impossible to get the jump on him. So how does he fit into the poem of death and murder. Easy. Vera Claythorne kills him as she suspects he's the murderer. Nice and tidy. Too tidy for me. How does that fit into the Judge's warped sense of the law if he hasn't committed the execution? And how could he have known Claythorne would kill him (Lombard)?

As I say the final third did kind of put me off it a bit in the end. Pity really as the first two episodes were top notch.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    River_2015_BBC_TV_series_title.png

River

John River sees dead people. Like Haley Joel Osment sees dead people. Only he can talk to them. One of the dead people is River's former partner on the force, and River is already suffering displaced PTSD from her death, so it's confusing in River's head. Plus, he's got cases to solve, including (of course), the murder of said partner.

This show is really well done and it's a treat to see Stellen Skarsgaard get this leading role.

As of now, the show concludes with just this 6-episode run. And engagements that don't overstay their welcome is surely one of the UK's greatest contributions to television.

frasermc repped this.
  13. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Totally forgot about River. Good shout.

Also, the above statement, nothing my wife hates more than a show that is extended purely on the basis that it pulled in big viewing figures rather than a show that has been written with multiple seasons in mind.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Amen on that.

Does anyone remember that 'Highlander' series on the telly, (and the films)? The sub-title was 'The can only be one!'. Then it turns out there's that one... oh, and this one... and that one over there. They could have hired a bloody coach and all gone on holiday together, it was ludicrous.:D

usscouse and frasermc repped this.
  15. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The wife is most pleased that Silent Witness has returned for series 19(!!). I do enjoy it as well but also find myself getting quite frustrated at times with the show.

However, I do love Shetland. Series 3 has just started. Six episodes long but this time they are focusing on one case and not individual entries.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    :) I got caught up in this for a while. The idea of living on a barge on the Seine in Paris and some of the senarios were fun. He still had to cut off a head a week though :)... and he had an interesting girl friend.

Then it changed, they introduced a old guy with a walking stick, as a sorta referee, who reported to a panel of judges. Who, I guess had to make sure that the heads rolled in a PC manner.

The killer of the show though was the intro of some no talent sulky piece of shit named Richie.

17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I think this goes in here.... Oh well!

Like I said in another thread I had surgery on my knee last Fri. Othoscopic to remove some torn cartilage and a cyst. Got to keep my leg up so I've been indulging in some binge watching of the telly.
    ( How the hell does "Duval" watch so much TV and movies????? :))

Last night was "Outlander" 1st season. 2 discs of about 12 hours.
    image.jpg

It starts off well with some fun and interesting twists. But the last two episodes had turned to "daytime soap stories" I found myself fast forwarding over some. Shame because they let the modern nurse in 1945, premise drop for mundane crap.

Outlander is an American-British television drama series based on the historical time travel Outlander series of novels by Diana Gabaldon. Developed by Ronald D. Moore and produced bySony/Left Bank for Starz, the show premiered on August 9, 2014. It starsCaitriona Balfe as Claire Randall, a married World War II nurse in 1945 who finds herself transported back to Scotland in 1743, where she encounters the dashing Highland warrior Jamie Fraser (Sam Heughan) and becomes embroiled in the Jacobite risings.

I've got one last episode to go. I hope they wrap the season up in the interesting way it started.

I really liked Caitriona Balfe (interesting name!) as the lead.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not seen that one. Worth giving it a go, is it?

19. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I'm not sure how it got #4 but it's still a very worthwhile watch.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    On the whole I enjoyed it. I've just watched the last episode of the 8 on the 2 discs. A little slow in places but an interesting sci-fi or fantasy premise.

I read one of the books of series a couple of years back and didn't know they'd done the TV show until I saw it on the shelves yesterday.

One reason to watch:- [​IMG]

21. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Been watching, and enjoying so far, Stan Lee's Lucky Man starring the always watchable James Nesbitt. Not sure how much input Lee has had in it but three episodes in and it's been ticking along nicely enough.

Season 2 of Happy Valley has just begun. I didn't think I was going to enjoy the first series when it aired but it was one of the better police/drama efforts by the Beeb/ITV in recent years.

I will be watching season 2 with a little trepidation as I am unsure as to how well a 2nd season will stand up.

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I'm still enjoying Scott and Bailey.
    We're a couple of years behind here in the US but I like the show a lot.
    Scott and Bailey are a pair of female detectives in Manchester. Not rare beauties but do attract attention as they play their roles. Their super, Godzilla,is also female. Another excellent actress.

I look forward to this every Sunday night. Getting close to end if season now and I'm not sure if it carries on for another.

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that's still running now over here so, yeah, they'll be more :)

It's got ever excellent Lesley Sharp who I first noticed in The Full Monty but she's been around for years on TV over here.

24. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #349 usscouse, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    That's good to know. She and Suranne Jones as Bailey, along with Amilia Bullimore (godzilla) make an excellent show.

25. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I recorded a rerun of Luther last night from a season of two back. I'd sooner watch a replay like this than new episodes of that silly Soap Opera MI 5.