Random Thoughts About UK Television

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by frasermc, Feb 24, 2014.

1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    So I watched the last part of Midwinter of the Spirit and, to be honest, it was a bit of a let down. It was all boxed off a little too easily and it just became a bit too cheesy, even for me. Still, considering it was only a 3 parter it was an enjoyable offering. Probably may have been better to pitch it a little later in the year. You know, winter rather than autumn when the cold nights start drawing in early and you need the cosy log burner on.

Whilst Midwinter of the Spirit was running on ITV the Beeb had Dr. Foster as its direct competition. At first I didn't think it would be my cup of tea but this tale of a woman scorned packed a punch. Dr. Foster has an idyllic life. Good job. Husband with a good job and a well respected man of the small local community. Nice kid etc. Until she starts to uncover little things pointing towards her husband cheating on her.

It could have done with being condensed into 4 episodes rather than the 5 it had (episode 4 especially felt like it was treading water and almost lost the momentum it had built up) but all in all it was good entertainment. Suranne Jones and Bertie Carvel work well together as the main couple and the supporting cast is uniformly good. The dinner scene in the last episode was an outstanding piece (albeit too small) of TV.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I haven't heard of it over here but I liked her a lot in Scott and Bailey. Not so much in the WW1 field hospital? One.

3. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Caught up with the latest 4 part crime thriller from the Beeb, From Darkness.

Didn't do it for me. Too 'bitty' and too many inconsistencies. By the 4th episode both the inconsistencies and the main characters were starting to annoy me.

4. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    BBC's new 7 part nature documentary The Hunt has started.

Richard Attenborough on narration duties (as per) but the stars of the show are of course the hunters and the prey, and the stunning camerwork. Infact the visuals throughout are truly breathtaking. Also, the how this was done segment that is now the norm at the end of each episode in nature docs was also extremely interesting.

All in all, fabulous TV. (if you like that sort of thing)

5. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't really understand quite why but they've commissioned another series of this. Personally I thought it started well and then went off the boil. It could easily have been done in three episodes to be honest given the plot was rather straightforward.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Definitely agree it could, and should, have been condensed down from 5 episodes but I enjoyed it throughout and thought it held together quite well.

Can't see any mileage in a 2nd series though. Pointless attempt at cashing in on the success of the original.

comme repped this.
  7. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Decent one on on at the moment is Unforgotten. I don't normally like stuff on ITV but this is actually pretty good so far, even if only three episodes in.

frasermc repped this.
  8. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Anyone else watching series 2 of The Returned? I loved the first series and I reckon this is about the best thing on British TV at the minute. I'm actually glad it's subtitled as it certainly helps focus the mind on the subject matter as there is hardly a wasted scene or sentence. I have actually re-watched episode 3 and 4 (we're currently up to episode 4 and the halfway point of the 2nd series) twice to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Mogwai have, again, provided the soundtrack. Great work by them also.

9. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Yep. Quite enjoying this as well but still to catch up with the most recent episode so don't give anything away. :thumbsup:

10. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You'll be pleased to hear I started Peaky Blinders last night on Netflix. I know it was a favourite of yours.

frasermc repped this.
  11. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Season 1?

It certainly is a favourite of mine. It's nice to see a British TV series with such high production values. You can clearly see the money has been well spent. It also helps to have a stellar cast and a well written, entirely believable, storyline.

At the time I was getting into this I was also watching the last of Boardwalk Empire which seemed to tail off quite alarmingly at the end.

I hope Peaky Blinders doesn't suffer the same fate.

12. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I only saw the first three seasons of Boardwalk Empire. If it's in that league I'll enjoy it!

13. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    no idea if you guys can get it over there but season 2 of The Detectorists started on the BBC recently. it very quirky and very English so not sure how the comedy will translate but it is quite popular here

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #314 usscouse, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    LUTHER is back!!!
    Looks like a one episode special December 17 at on Thursday BBCTV

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Just finished season 1 of this. Generally thought it was good. The Brummie accents were a bit patchy, but Sam Neill's Norn Iron effort was very good.

Will try and track down Series 2 but it's not currently on Netflix in the UK.

16. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    News: Sherlock Special Premieres Jan. 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

MASTERPIECE and PBS Announce New Sherlock Special to Premiere on January 1, 2016
    Event Marks the First Time for aSherlock US-UK Same Day Premiere

I'm looking forward to this. The modern Sherlock Duo back in 19 century England.

frasermc repped this.
  17. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Got this locked into my DVR already.

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Good show last night. Follows right along were the last one left off. Nearly 3 hours.
    Still that format, with Luther leading the chase for a serial killer. But has his own underlying agenda he juggles without his bosses knowing. Including a hit placed on him.

I missed Ruth Wilson as Alice Morgan as much as he did.

19. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I never did get around to watching the last two episodes of this. @comme did I miss out...?

Currently working my way through The Last Kingdom. Will watch the finale later tonight.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    After a slow start for me. I took a while to warm upto the lead, Uther. But it got better and better. The final episode was excellent..in fact I watched that again the other night :)

I've been following all the books so I was pleased when I heard the TV series was coming. I've read everyone of Bernard Cornwell's books over the years and enjoyed them all. Another TV series they did of his books was "Sharpe" the rifleman. The books follows a man "Richard Sharpe" in all of Arthur Wellesley's (The Duke of Wellington) campaigns. From India up to Waterloo.
    From private he works his way up through the ranks. Sean Bean played Sharpe.

frasermc repped this.
  21. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I'd say so. Thought it was one of the best British programmes of the year. We actually gave up on the Last Kingdom after episode 3. Started really strongly and then went very slow and we didn't really have a clue what was going on.

frasermc repped this.
  22. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I'm with @usscouse on The Last Kingdom. I enjoyed it. Before I started watching it from my planner I'd heard it had pacing issues but that never seemed to be the case for me.

I would say though that if there were to be a 2nd series the death of a major character (a favourite of mine throughout the show) could dampen the appeal a tad. I also get the feeling that the central character isn't the easiest to take a shine too. My personal preference was towards the afore mentioned person and David Dawson (King Alfred).

What can be said for Uhtred was that his character traits remained true throughout the 8 episodes and didn't alter to suit plot etc.

Only thing I felt a little let down by was the fact that the Danes were portrayed very one dimensionally when there was scope to alter that from as early as episode 2.

usscouse and comme repped this.
  23. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Hmm... but gutted I didn't stick it out. I blame the wife. It sat on the planner for so long until she decided she couldn't watch it as she would struggle to pick up from where it had left off in episode 2.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If anyone's feeling a bit depressed or mizzy at this time of the year, do yerself a favour and watch 'Peter Kay's Car Share'. It's available on the iPlayer.

:)

It's more of a gentle comedy than belly-laughs but good nevertheless.

25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    not much of a Peter Kay fan but Car Share is quality.