News: Random Soccer News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Sep 16, 2015.

1. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this mean the SAP option is gone for Univision/UniMas games?

2. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell did Bein hire Carlos Ruiz? This is painful.

3. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Messi and friends needing a win were awarded a PK. How did THAT happen?

4. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did they hire him to do? Dive off his chair during studio segments?

CrewV Man repped this.
  5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I always like laughing at him so I didn't mind.

6. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Want to be a football manager? Join the team entirely run by online voting

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/espn-f...-voting-to-pick-the-team-and-decide-transfers

ESSEN, Germany -- The final whistle sounds and TC Freisenbruch's players visibly sag in dismay. In the first half of their season they won all but one of their 18 fixtures, losing none and conceding only four goals in the process. But now, in their first game back after the winter break, they have been beaten at home. There is much for the managers to ponder. All 384 of them.

Freisenbruch are a ninth-level German amateur side based in an unremarkable suburb of Essen, but there is nothing unremarkable about the way they operate. For a modest fee of €5 a month, anyone in the world can become one of their managers, gaining access to an innovative interface that will be familiar to anyone who has ever played the "Football Manager" series of games. It allows them to have a direct say in anything from team selection to the price of the beer outside the club house.

@kgilbert78

7. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been something like this before. As I recall Fortuna Koeln was once part of a consortium for this kind of thing--and I think there was a team in the UK too. (yes, Ebsflett United FC).

8. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/06/us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-2026

US, Canada and Mexico set to submit joint bid to host 2026 World Cup.

A joint bid from the US, Canada and Mexico to host the enlarged 2026 World Cup is expected to be finalised this year for submission to Fifa, according to Victor Montagliani, the president of the region’s Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Football Associations (Concacaf).

“Canada, the US and Mexico are aiming for a joint bid, the idea has been around for a while, discussions are continuing and it is a very exciting proposition if it comes to fruition,” Montagliani said. “We have had nothing but positive remarks about it and it is a very strong sign of what football can do to bring countries together.”

TRUJDUB repped this.
  9. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the size of the new Cup, a joint bid will almost be mandatory. Not that the US couldn't pull it off by itself, but it's starting to get too big for one country.

Timon19 repped this.
  10. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Look at you, thinking all innocently.

I was thinking 'If we join together, we can lessen the cost of the bribes of each going it alone...'

11. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #486 CrewV Man, Apr 6, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    I disagree. There are 227 stadiums in the US. I am sure that they could find 48 or so to host a World Cup soccer game.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._stadiums_by_capacity
    Why add extra 1000's of miles of travel from Winnipeg to Chiapas

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the size would make it mandatory.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "almost"

Reading is fun-damental.

TRUJDUB repped this.
  15. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    227 stadiums. No where near "almost" for the US.

16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said I was talking strictly about the US?? All I noted was that the US is the one country that could pull it off. The implication is that the rest could not.

And not all of those US stadia are World Cup quality/size anyway. Mapfre sure isn't. Ohio Stadium and many football stadia are not wide enough.

17. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the problem with the US hosting is the size/travel/multi-time zones. I don't see why you want to add to that. And I really don't see why you want to through BOTH Canada and Mexico in. Just pick one or the other. Only reason to do so is politics. FIFA basically gets to say CONCACAF held one and doesn't need to again for 8-10 more cycles, because, after all, all three CONCACAF countries with any possibility of hosting hosted it.

18. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I don't have a problem with it. The final will certainly be in the US, not at Azteca. Canada will get a few group matches and maybe a knockout game or two. Mexico will get some matches too. It will clearly be a mainly US event though. It's time the World Cup came back to North America and including other CONCACAF countries will increase the likelihood of that happening.

19. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. Soccer
    UNITED STATES, CANADA AND MEXICO TO MAKE HISTORIC ANNOUNCEMENT ON APRIL 10 IN NEW YORK CITY
    Media Event Scheduled for 2 p.m. at One World Observatory at One World Trade Center

ORANJESTAD, Aruba (April 8, 2017) -
    CONCACAF member nations the United States, Canada and Mexico are scheduled to make a historic announcement on April 10 in New York City. The event will take place at 2 p.m. ET at One World Observatory on the 102nd floor of the One World Trade Center.
    Attending the event on Monday will be:
    Sunil Gulati - President, United States Soccer Federation; Member, FIFA Council
    Victor Montagliani - President, CONCACAF; President, Canadian Soccer Association
    Decio de Maria - President, Mexican Football Federation; Vice President, CONCACAF

-- Press Conference Information --
    WHO: U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati, Canadian Soccer Association President Victor Montagliani, Mexican Football Federation President Decio de Maria
    WHAT: Press Conference to make historic announcement
    WHEN: Monday, April 10 at 2 p.m. ET
    WHERE: One World Observatory - One World Trade Center - 285 Fulton Street - New York, NY 10007. Please use the West Street entrance.
    HOW: Media who wish to attend must apply for accreditation by clicking here. Media applications MUST be received by 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, April 9.

*Please note this venue has extensive security - everyone must be on guest list prior to the event and everyone will go through a detector and bags will be scanned before entering the elevator. Approved media are encouraged to arrive by 12:30 p.m. ET.
    A live world feed from the event as well as a VNR will provided to broadcast media. Uplink information will be available soon.

-ussoccer.com-

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
  21. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they're going to let Qatar field a team in the World Cup, Canada making a tournament is less of a shock now. But with the expanded field, they probably would have competed anyway?

22. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada hasn't made a Hex (or been a top 6 CONCACAF team in WVQ) since 1998, so probably not.

23. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    Which is too bad. That's one road trip I'd be willing to make. Wish I could've made it to Burnaby for the decisive qualifier in 97.

24. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    http://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2017/4/26/15320096/world-cup-2026-projected-usmnt-lineup

25. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999