News: Random Soccer News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CybrSlydr, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #426 Bill Archer, Nov 28, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    How the hell can that be? They're the world famous Cosmos, legendare warriors of the artificial pitch and 1980's disco night club.

(My favorite part is where they're "actively shopping" several players on the "transfer market"

What kind of mental disease or delusion do you have to have to think that bunch of MLS (largely Crew) castoffs and rejects is worth a bucket of warm piss to anybody, anywhere?)

They've never come close to being profitable. 3000 people, most of them freebies, doesn't even cover the stadium rental. Never has.

So it's not that they're suddenly - shockingly - losing money. Rather, it appears that as all the Saudis have had to tighten their belts as oil prices plummeted, they've discovered that the whole Cosmos thing was a terrible bet that's getting more and more terrible as time goes on.

It's an unprofitable venture with virtually no path to anything other than more losses.

It appears that they may have finally decided that this whole thing amounts to throwing good money after bad.

The sad thing - not that anyone is shedding any tears - is that they were offered the chance to be NYC2, and turned it down in favor of a fantasy peddled by film flam artists.

If they would have been willing to take a little less money they'd be a modestly profitable concern with an encouragingly optimistic future in 10 or 20 years and a resale value in the $200 million range.

Instead they're going to end up with Jack Squat and I will laugh myself into a coma.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  2. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "We've assembled a team of Columbus Crew rejects. How do we market them?"
    "Let's call them the New York Cosmos."
    "Genius!"

:D

Robbo Crewfan and Bill Archer repped this.
  3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    it's bermuda grass. it goes dormant after the first frost and turns brown. it still plays fine.

4. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why in the hell would they use Bermuda at this latitude for a field that will be in use as late as December? I know IU has a turf science program. Are they trying to prove something?

5. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

purdue has a turf science program. that doesn't seem like something we would have, but i could be wrong.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It's a large midwestern university. They ALL have turf science!

7. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    How else would those on sports scholarships get their "degrees"?

8. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
  9. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus.

You know, this is one of those things that's always in the back of everyone's mind when you think about the miles logged by professional athletes in the air. Especially around these parts, where these flights often take place with the complication of ice and snow in the wintertime. No one ever actually expects... wow.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  11. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw a twitter post with a video of the whole team celebrating a win just 5 days ago, followed by a picture from the same locker room today, with just 3 players sitting around somber.....they were guys that didnt make the team to travel to medellin.

Super heartbreaking. Prayers to everyone lost.

12. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's relative to the player/ball. If a goalie gets beat near post, that means the side of the goal that the shot is coming from.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  13. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This went through my head when I took my first job out of college that had 50% travel. But then I realized that being a pilot was actually a relatively safe job, compared to, say, farming and law enforcement.

Of course, that doesn't mean I don't get a little nervous flying still to this day (since I'm not in control).

14. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, now I work in the airfield industry, and some of the stories I hear about latin American airports* are a bit unnerving.

*having mostly to do with lack of reliable power

15. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    If I may ask, what do you do in the airfield industry?

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Design light fixtures

17. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    And hitting KHTs

[​IMG]

18. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm guessing most who care are following news of the crash closely, but I'll update anyways. Sounds like the 3 players will remain in intensive care for some time. Major trauma will do that.

The goalie who survived had a leg amputated. Two defenders survived. One has lumbar (lower) spine damage (no word if this includes spinal cord injury and probable paralysis though) and the other had severe head and upper torso trauma. Haven't found anything specific about the 3 other survivors other than that they're all in intensive care. If you're inclined to pray, do so.

The team they were meant to play in the South America champions league equivalent in the semifinal has requested that the Brazilian team be awarded the champion title, and many Brazilian teams are making requests (wearing their team jerseys, loaning players for free, trying to allow them to avoid relegation for a few years while they recover and rebuild) to show support.

stanger and Tobias C repped this.
  19. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if anyone else here is a hockey fan, but this is Lokomotiv Yaroslavl all over again. Never would've been too soon for a repeat of that. This is crushing.

20. Draghignazzo

Draghignazzo Member+

Feb 24, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No, but I'm interested in hearing what year that happened, and his long it took them to recover, if they ever did.

21. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link

They took a year off but were allowed back in the KHL after that season. Had they wanted to play, there would have been a draft of players from other teams.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  22. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can take a year to find out how bad a spinal injury is with Spinal Shock, they have some drugs that can help but they need to be immediately.

23. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Spinal shock is with spinal cord injury. The spine can be fractured without damaging the spinal cord. Supposedly he could still move his legs, so even if it was a spinal cord injury, it's a decent sign that he'll have leg function (though that doesn't mean he will be able to walk without assistance).

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully at least as good a recovery as Adam Taliaferro.

25. A Guy

A Guy Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Taliaferro had a miraculous recovery. At this point, if all three of these players do well enough that they don't have mental issues (due to traumatic brain injuries, PTSD, etc.) and live happy lives , that will be a huge success.

Supposedly Neto may play soccer again. Sounds like hopeful talk from loved ones at this point. Especially since he has supposedly had 3 or 4 surgeries. Hard to predict how any of them will do after only days.