Alert: Random Arsenal Shizzle

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by thebigman, Sep 24, 2013.

1. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I pay Arsenal to watch all the games?

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you mean watch them on Arsenal Player, then no. They don't have all the rights.

3. cooper7d7

cooper7d7 Member+

Feb 7, 2001
    CT
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone going to the US-Ghana match on Saturday?

4. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am. And taking my two teenagers along. Just too bad our team won't include one of the most gifted teenage American athletes of our time.

Oh well, that's what we get for being a tune-up for the Gold Cup B-team. 11 years ago was the last time I saw USMNT at this stadium, against Latvia. That was Bruce's first reign and it was the WC'06 send-off series, so it was definitely our A-team then.

Anyway, I'm sitting in the "away end" even though I don't expect too many Ghanaians in there.

cooper7d7 repped this.
  5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrongo about the Ghanaians... They're out in force! Had to move seats in fact. ;)

Shen-O repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #357 NorthBank, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Just catching up on my podcasts after being offline on vacation. And found this Arsecast episode to be particularly good: https://arseblog.com/2017/08/episode-434-barcelona-arsenal/

After the first 10 mins monologue about Barcelona terrorism (which you can skip) there's an interview with Phillippe Auclair who has recently spoken with Arsene, and had some interesting comments, including: 1) Wenger will go all-out for the EPL and treat the EL Cup more like the League Cup, and 2) The crowd at the Grove, on opening day, seemed truly behind the team in a way he hadn't seen in a while.

#1 is indeed a noble cause, but indications are that the competition may be even fiercer this time around. And #2 could of course be quite short-lived if results don't go our way.

Anyway, worth a listen I think.

p.s. I couldn't really find a better, more appropriate thread to post this to. Apologies. But my hope is that you all can listen to this, take what you will, and not necessarily turn this "random" thread into yet another Wenger-out-group-therapy-session. ;)

7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #358 NorthBank, Sep 29, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Wanted to watch the boss's prematch interview but my login to ArsenalPlayer won't work. Won't let me login.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Odd, because I can still login to Arsenal.com just fine with the same credentials, but just not with Player.

I even created a new login account for Player and that doesn't work either.

Edit: I kinda solved my problem. My Chrome was set to block third-party cookies, which I think I've always had, but apparently causes Player to not function now. Tried whitelisting the Arsenal/Player domains, but that didn't work. The only "solution" I found is to allow third-party cookies. :(

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since he doesn't have his own thread (huh?) and I wanted to post this somewhere, check out this exquisite photo of Laca in training yesterday...

17oct17-Lacazette-volley-training.jpg

fari repped this.
  9. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There aren't too many old-timers on this board any more, but in any case, I just heard that yesterday was...

Bob Wilson's 76th birthday!

Other than Charlie George it's hard to think of any better, or more committed ambassadors to our Club... over decades and decades. They were teammates of course, but Bob can one-up Charlie by being practically a one-club-man for 11 years, after a very short stint at Wolves. He played with ultimate bravery, without regard for personal injury, which ultimately cut his career short by 5 or more years.

Great guy Bob. I've always thought he'd be good in club management or as a board member, but sadly he never went in either of those directions.

thebigman repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #362 NorthBank, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    So, just listened to 2 podcasts tonight where there was quite a bit of discussion about the new film "1989". It's a must see for any Gooner, especially the older ones. ;)

Edit: Here's another nice BBC 5Live Radio show I found called "I Was There" with interviews of Dixon, Pleat et al. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05m9n6h#play

But my question is how can we get a look at it? Any chance of seeing it on a stream, rather than having to find/wait for a DVD?

Edit: I found this https://www.amazon.co.uk/89-How-Ars...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1507282758&sr=8-2
    BUT it's a Region 2 disc so I guess it won't play in USA. What are the odds that they'll make & sell a DVD for our market? ( If this was Pool's or United's story, there'd be more chance of that :p )

Maybe it'll be picked up for streaming by Amazon Prime or better yet (for me) Netflix.

thebigman repped this.
  11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NOTE: I've moved this quote/comment from the Other Teams thread so as not to be hypocritical about keeping threads focused to the topic in the thread title. ;) But realizing that sadly the feedback I get from this will be more limited because this thread is less populated...

Myself I consciously choose not to use Facebook in general. But I do frequently wonder if many of the old BigSoccer posters* migrated to Facebook (ArseAm or otherwise) or some platform. From what I've seen of Reddit & Twitter, they're not an improvement over BigSoccer, so I found it hard to believe similar quality conversations were happening over there.

*Anti, Maui, Homeat, RickB, Catfish, ...

12. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    what ever happened to Dave M? decent fella, then went off to Norfolk never to be heard from again. have they still not got the internet up there?

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was he the same as Mixmaster?

Hey man. You've been lying low on our forum lately. Enjoying the high-life of Spurs too much these days? ;)

Feel free to participate in our threads, including the NLD one which just got started.

14. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Don't know much about the NBA, to be fair.

No, Mixmaster was a fella named Matt (I think). Dave M was a regular back in the day, who came off as a really decent fellow. He mentioned at some point that he was relocating from London to Norfolk, which I figured was relevant to his matchday attendance, but less so regarding posting here. But I don't know that he ever posted here again. Perhaps he - like loads of others - have just migrated to other forms of Arse-related media.

All I know is, however much I may have enjoyed the likes of Rick, HoMeat, and however many others of 'em, there's a limit (totalling* 1) as to how many AFC-sites I'm gonna be found in. So tell 'em I said 'hi' ... but I ain't going out looking for 'em. :cool:;)

good guys, though. shame they've moved on.

* I have just discovered that there is apparently a degree of controversy as to whether participles correlating to the verb total require one or two Ls. So perhaps there is still greater scope for my participation here than I had suspected. And I do very much like pizza.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You drinking early today Pook? ;)

16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched this nice interview/profile of Manu Petit. Un bon garcon!

17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We drew Forest away in FA Cup 3R, January 6th. Could be worse.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really would like to buy/watch the new documentary "89" BUT...

All of my scouring of "89thefilm" pages on FB & Twitter has been fruitless.

The DVD is only on sale at Amazon.UK (and even if I bought that it's Region 2 so probably I'd have real difficulty playing it her in USA).

They say it's available as "digital" (download) but I don't actually find that, either on Amazon or iTunes.

Anyone else on this side of the pond tried and had any better luck?

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    U got Jodi or a fire stick?

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I don't. Do you think it would help?

Earlier I saw reference to "89" being available on iTunes & Amazon Prime/Video, but I could not find it anywhere on either. I wonder if it's a UK vs USA thing. I'm not sure Amy Lawrence, bless her soul, gave a lot of thought to making it available to people in foreign countries.

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kodi has most shit on there

23. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you have Kodi could you check for "89"?

I'm not very familiar with these things but I gather they are just platforms for accessing various streamed content. So if "89" is only available via Amazon or iTunes then Kodi would just link to those sources? (and I had no luck myself searching for it on my own Amazon/iTunes accounts)