Ramon Nunez trialing for Leeds United

Discussion in 'Honduras' started by Kool Herc, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article on Ramon on the Official Site

2. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Excited for him! One of my fav. players to come out of the MLS, because he is a '10'. You dont see much of those anymore. They dont get played in the central midfield role, they have to play as a supporting striker.

3. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I think he can make it in Leeds......his no Ivan nor costly to not make it.

4. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramon didn't play for the reserves today -- leading to speculation he will either be included in the squad on the weekend or is carrying an injury -- no word on either though I personally think him being injured is more likely explanation.

Will pass on any news about him as it becomes available.

5. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to todays 'We Are Leeds' edition, Nunez will be playing for Leeds (to get fit) along with Snodgrass and Paynter in a Tuesday Lunchtime behind closed doors friendly. Grayson also said in todays Press conference that Nunez wasn't up to speed just yet fitness-wise, so just a case of him getting some fitness and sharpness before he is involved in first team squad.

6. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    makes sense, since Ramoncito hasn't played nor has trained properly since The World Cup.

7. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest news:
    http://www.leedsunited.com/news/20100913/new-signings-to-miss-oakwell-trip_2247585_2152779

8. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks for the info

9. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ramon scored a goal in the friendly today:

10. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    a goal and an assist! Ma boy :cool:

11. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simon Grayson hints two of the players from the behind closed doors friendly will be included in the squad for tomorrows match against Doncaster Rovers:
    Some speculate it will be the two new signings, Ramon and Amdy Faye, since the other two (Snodgrass & Paynter) are coming off of injuries and probably won't be rushed back into the squad.

12. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    any video of Ramon playing? I know his been playing in closed off area but any video out there?

13. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No unfortunately beside the random shot of him in training and his initial interview there isn't any video on him. Since the matches hes played in are behind closed doors we will only get a recap - if he played in a reserves game there would be some footage but not behind closed doors.

If video ever pops up, I will pass on what I can.

14. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK some good news for you guys.

Heard (secondhand) from someone who works at the training grounds and watched practice today. He said Ramon was on the team that wears training bibs and those players typically start. The same guy was supposedly blown away by Ramons play in practice and said he was "class, like ********ing class" :D so it could well be that he has impressed enough to earn a start but at the very least I think Ramon will definitely play tomorrow. A sub role might suit him better on his debut but either way I'm hoping for the best.

Leeds play Doncaster Rovers tomorrow at 7.45 UK Time (1.45cst) and the game is on TV, so THERE WILL BE LINKS [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will post them up, this should be your chance to see him make his Leeds debut.

15. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    In what position is Leeds in the table?

16. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    work permit

That's great, but any news on Nunez getting his work permit??? He needs one to stay in England.

17. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Re: work permit

Shouldnt he get it, given his call ups for Honduras?

18. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Re: work permit

indeed he should.

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    The point is Nunez is quality. I heard the only thing stopping Leeds from signing him long term was work permit situation. If Nunez can obtain one, then he will be w/ Leeds United. If not, the deal will fall through. Sometimes I think a club has to pay the Brits in charge of granting a work permit. Sorta like that scene in 300, when Leonidas had to pay the oracles for wisdom :rolleyes: I know it's bs, but it's part of the English/British system for playing in their leagues.

20. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Ramon could not have been given a contract with Leeds without a work permit. I'm positive he qualified on account of his recent caps for Honduras. If you go back a few pages on this thread you'll see there was a good week delay in announcing his signing that seemed to be a mixture of the work permit situation and a Honduran national holiday(?).

The reason for his short term contract is that Leeds want to see how he adapts to the English game. Since coming back from financial ruin Leeds have acted very responsibly and won't gamble on the unknown. That said, Simon Grayson has said Leeds have a club option to renew his contract before January, for how long I don't know, but it is up to Ramon to impress.

Leeds are currently 13th in the table (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/tables?league=eng.2&cc=5901) but that doesn't really matter this much this early in the year as we were 6th on Monday night. There's still 40 league games to be played in the English Championship. I think Leeds have proven so far that the Championship is definitely their level and I don't think any pundits would be shocked to see Leeds get promoted but my feet are planted on the ground. I think we should definitely be top half or thereabouts by the end of the season.

As a bit of background Leeds had been undefeated after an opening loss to Derby but then this Tuesday against Barnsley we went up 1-0 early and then let Barnsley equalize on a defensive mistake right before the end of the 1st half. In the 2nd half it seemed Leeds basically gave up and let Barnsley take the game, scoring an embarrassing 4 unanswered goals :eek: until the final score was 5-2 :( its for that reason that Ramon looks to feature as Grayson has said those that played had better watch their backs as the reserves are going for their positions. After a number of signings this summer our bench is considered quite strong and deep, especially in the area Ramon is playing (winger/striker.)

As a Dallas resident, SMU alumni and Leeds fan I really hope Ramon lights it up on his debut. If by chance Ramon scores a winning goal he will instantly become the cult hero du jour at Leeds! :D

21. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game is on 4pm (central) on Fox Soccer Plus if anyone has that channel. I'll put some links up before kickoff but after that I'm going offline to watch the game later on.

22. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    fo show!!

23. Kool Herc

Kool Herc Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Dallas
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to break it to you guys but unfortunately Nunez has not made the team today :( guess my source was incorrect.

Very sorry to get your hopes up :(

24. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    :(

I guess its not time yet. The moment will come though. :)

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras