Rafael Santos Borré - News & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by Tio Nicci, Mar 23, 2015.

1. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    El nuevo Naristizabal

2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    hopefully he develops into a better commentator than the original.

3. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That won't be hard.

I really like his playing style but he is struggling a lot to score and isn't creating a lot lately.

4. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008

Freakin' Borre man. Kid can pull off stuff like this and later he he misses headers i front of open nets. And I don't mean miss the target; he missed the ball completely.

locoxriver repped this.
  5. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He was very frustrated with him ...was very close to score in one that marinelly took the ball out he created the play in the center.

Almost always won...and his touches finished in corners

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Goes back to what I have been saying for months now. He just does not have the accuracy or the cold blood to be a lone striker at the highest levels.

He does bring other attributes that are good like passing, positioning, fancy dribbling moves when need be.

In my opinion his best chance at the Seleccion is to be providing chances for Duvan or Falcao. If we start him by himself up top in a formation we won't get any good chances on goal for the most part.

7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He's still young and he's still developing. He just this last year broke in at River and started playing consistently and has shown good growth. He's not ready to be relied on for the National team yet I don't think, but he has time to refine his game and over the next 4 years him working towards a World Cup is good motivation.

pepinointer and locoxriver repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  9. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  10. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Damn. How did he get that red card?

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #536 locoxriver, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    While River was up 2-0, playing with an extra man, with less than 3 minutes left in the game, and the ball in our possession.... he decides to deliberately hit a rival who was marking him in the back of his neck/head out of frustration. Completely juvenile decision and very unnecessary given the circumstances of the game.

The kid must learn to be less impulsive.. If he can't control himself in a scenario like this, in which the game is already sealed and he wasn't exactly provoked, how would he have reacted in a tense match while being down and taunted (especially if there are rivalry elements involved, such as in a clasico)?

jay luis repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I may be one of the most critical of Santos Borre on this message board but what he did yesterday seems way out of character for him.
    Maybe the Deportivo Cali fans can say more because they have known about him longer and seen more of his matches bur I don't think he has ever had disciplinary problems or problems with his temper. Last night seems to be more of an exception to the rule. Could have been frustration could have been in reaction to something we did not see. It is not like the Chileans are saints.

pepinointer repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    From my reading of the play, he simply got frustrated that the Palestino defender was slowing him down in the counter, so he reacted and smacked him to get him off his ass. I don’t think the Chilean verbally provoked him, but even then there would have been no reason for him to physically retaliate, especially being up by 2 goals and minutes away from the end of the match.

It’s really quite simple: Borre ********ed up big time, but hopefully at least this serves as a tough lesson for him to avoid such tantrums in the future. There’s been a few other games where I’ve seen him lose his temper, but usually the ref lets him off with a warning. He needs to learn to just laugh off such nuisances and walk away. From the look of it, it seems his inexcusable temperamental decisions will cost him a few games (rumored 3 match ban), which would include the two legs of the Recopa final (yet another final for Borre to watch from the sideline)

Azucarero repped this.
  14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Generally speaking, Borre has become a lot more fiery the longer he's been at River. He argue with the refs, puts in hard tackles, and throws his arms in the air far more than he ever did with Cali.

That said, he also presses and sacrifices his body more than he ever did. It's this intensity and work rate that put him in both Gallardo's and the hinchada's favor despite being a poor scorer.

He doesn't do anything this extreme typically, but this general attitude comes with the kind of player he's evolved into.

HomietheClown repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes. I was just speculating if there were little things that added up before the play that maybe even the camera did not pick up. Not the actual play itself.
    Things build up to a crescendo when it comes to these type of reactions sometimes.
    But just given the evidence at hand, he just snapped and there is no excuse.

16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Watching him play you can tell he's a player who plays with a lot of emotion. Lots of players need to be calm and relaxed to be at their best and many need to be really fired up, Borre seems to be the latter but if you're going to allow yourself to go there you have to learn to walk the line and funnel that energy away from outbursts and into the game. It takes a while to learn, hopefully this is a good lesson for him and he'll be better for it.

Azucarero and locoxriver repped this.
  17. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Gol y 2 asistencias de Borré ayer contra Aldosivi.

Azucarero, pepinointer and HomietheClown repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    His passing is almost world class at striker.
    Just wish his efficiency was better with his shooting.

19. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's the thing, to me he should be used as an attacking midfielder, if he was as great shooting as he is at passing he would be a part of our NT already.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Would probably never, ever happen under Queiroz but probably worth a look in some sort of formation.

21. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Looks like Borre will be eligible to play both legs of the Recopa vs Paranaense

He was, however, suspended for two Libertadores games, meaning he'll miss tomorrow's match vs. Internacional and the first leg of our Round of 16 match-up

jay luis repped this.
  22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Borre va de titular esta noche... vamos pibe

Azucarero and HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As usual did not really threaten much with shots but his passing and his movement in transition was lovely.
    Also showed some cold blood to make the winning penalty.

pepinointer and Azucarero repped this.
  24. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I missed the first 25 or so minutes, so maybe I missed something at the beginning, but everything I saw from Borre today was shit. Bad decision making, poor finishing, losing possession, disappeared for large portions of the games. He left a lot to be desired and honestly should have been subbed off instead of Pratto, but only stayed on the pitch because Oso barely returned from an injury for this game.

I said it in the Carrascal thread and I’ll say it here... the kid is so polarizing — either he’ll be by far the standout player of the match, or he’ll leave you scratching your head thinking “wth is this kid doing”. He can be great when he’s on form, but he’s the most inconsistent player I’ve seen in a while.

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    goal from the pk

HomietheClown and Froboy69 repped this.