Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
  2. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah who would have guessed? People from different cultures and backgrounds, celebrate and show emotion in different ways.

3. JamieBmore

JamieBmore Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Yep, very true. When you play a baseball game in the Dominican Republic or in Puerto Rico, I would bet there are no issues with any of it. However, if you are playing a game in the USA, there are issues with taunting and not respecting your opponents on the field. I know this sounds bad, but some people like to hold themselves to a higher standard of sportsmanship and don't want to see that change. Golf and tennis are the same way to an even higher standard.

4. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Let me be the first to point out how much the Orioles suck. :D

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope the ghosts of the Gashouse Gang haunt Kinsler's locker, and put liniment in his jock before every game.

Imean, those guys were probably real racists, but that didn't stop them from having fun.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source/link, Dr. Mengele?

dapip repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    1. The NFL has a farm system in college football that is almost unavoidable. There are many other paths to the NBA: https://www.reference.com/sports-ac...l-players-college-graduates-1cb66d290f53d545#

2. Basketball is flooding with international talent and it is very common for European and South American players to go pro at very early ages. There are very few foreign players in the NFL, hence college is a must.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_players_in_the_National_Football_League

http://pr.nba.com/nba-rosters-international-players-2016-17/

3. Linking college attendance with intelligence is not smart. Haven't you heard of multiple academic fraud scandals in several famous college sports programs? https://www.insidehighered.com/news...mitted-academic-fraud-last-decade-more-likely

4. There are multiple intelligence types. The people that excels at sports might not necessarily be suited for academic success. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

soccernutter and Dominican Lou repped this.
  9. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Times have indeed changed.

[​IMG]

Pirates broke ground with first all-minority lineup
    http://m.mlb.com/news/article/24052540//

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,they were named after a slang for a bordello,so yeah.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My Pakistani immigrant neighbors are observant Muslim. Their three kids are dating Indian (Muslim), Jewish, and Korean.

It seems there still pockets of the melting pot left.
    We are family. Back in the day, the coolest, hippest brothers in the country were baseball fans first and foremost. Who knew?

12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I'll gamble and say this was the hippest brother back then:

9112-oscar-gamble.jpg

cleansheetbsc, chaski and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The definition of an old dude: "I miss the 70s." Because when we lived it, we thought it was ********ing terrible.

taosjohn repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We had little or no adult supervision back then. I thought it was a blast. "Don't get arrested" was usually the last thing I heard when I left the house...only half jokingly. Compare the good ol days to how structured our kids lives are nowadays. Don't even know how to start fires, steal candy, vandalize shit or run from cops. :D

song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    My kids think we were out of Oliver Twist. The elementary school down the block had many classrooms connected by overhangs. We could shimmy up the poles onto the roofs. Just had to watch out for the janitors. We'd ride our bikes up there, play manhunt, throw stuff at people down below & drop M80s in the vents. Today if we got caught we'd get a life sentence.

16. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a problem with contrasting and promoting the American approach to the game. In soccer, we see different tactical and stylistic approaches to the game - and it's fantastic. It's OK to be proud of the Brazilian or Spanish flair. On the other hand, American soccer players might not be happy with countries that embellish. Or Russian ice hockey that is more finesse and speed based then say American grinding and physicality. I love these differences and I see no problem with him being proud of their approach to game even if it includes a dig to a team doing some things that he didn't appreciate.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    and if anything was unwatched and had glass in it, it was fair game to have rocks thrown at it. School buses, new houses, you name it.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Every generation gets tamer. One generation before me, the guys would break into the women's dorm, rummage through their wardrobe, and steal their panties. Worse than what we did. The generation before that, the fun student game was to get together in a gang and turn over the streetcars.

And today's parents are lenient. Sheesh.

19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yep. My father spoke of being in day long rockfights with the neighboring neighborhood.

roby repped this.
  20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I got 3 stitches in my head at age 9 after getting hit with a piece of plumbing pipe. The kids from the next subdivision over were bored. This was in expensive digs for the day too -- a schmancy neighborhood. (Pops was sometimes rich, sometimes not, and sometimes not around. This was his glory period.)

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may or may not have fabricated an incendiary device (thanks Army Surplus Store - US Army Field Manual - Improvised Munitions Handbook) or two... some other guys did the placement at the school

I only got suspended for two days | No evidence

22. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    The racial component to sports styles is very interesting.

It's present in football, baseball, basketball, boxing. And it's always the same: blacks or other people of color play it with more flair, creativity, emotion; whites more straight-up, less emotion, more based on strength and force. And the whites always criticize the colored.

Even soccer has this, though to a smaller degree. The creative, Brazilian samba style has black and Rio de Janeiro-area influence. Meanwhile, the whiter south has a supposed rougher, European style.

But the controversy in baseball is pretty ridiculous. A bat flip and a stare-down is considered disrespectful? LOL. Absolutely pathetic for a mass, popular sport.

You want politeness and gentlemanly behavior, go to the opera. Mass, popular sports exist as an outlet for people to have fun, let out emotions and be a little primal.

WASP repression strikes again.

23. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Ah...yes...I remember it well! Ask your Dad if the enemy were perched atop a billboard sign hurling missiles down upon the intruders. If so tell him I apologize for any and all gashes. :notworthy:

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Racist NYC murderer charged with terrorism along with hate crime.

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork/AP) — An Army veteran was hit with new charges of murder as an act of terrorism and hate Monday in the alleged random stabbing a black man to death with a sword in Midtown.

James Harris Jackson, 28, was arraigned last week in the slaying of 66-year-old Timothy Caughman.

In a court appearance Monday, his charges were upgraded in a grand jury indictment. He had already been accused of second-degree murder as a hate crime.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/27/midtown-stabbing-suspect-court/

25. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    He traveled almost 5 hours to commit a murder. That's not second-degree.

crazypete13 repped this.