Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I totally get that. It was 1:05-1:30 that made me like this tune.

So I just realized that WIBN is on Pet Sounds. Huh.

2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah it wasn't who is playing on it that makes me like Love You To more, I just like its driving rhythm. Mentioned the fact that only Harrison plays on WYWY just because it was funny to think that would be the best thing the Beatles had ever done. Sorta like if somebody said Yesterday for Paul. where it was just him and a string section. Great songs, but more like solo works with the Beatles name.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Depends which Miles you are listening to. You put on any of his Columbia recordings (Gil Evans collaboration) you'd have me hard pressed to believe that was not a white guy. The thing with Dave Brubeck for example is that his music didn't sound "white", it had more of the west coast feel to it. The same style is still evident in the playing of Wardell Gray, Hampton Hawes, Dupree Bolton or Sonny Criss. None of the latter were white.

I'm kinda off in a few different directions since I've got a lot going on around the house but the "sounds white" things is not very good. Bill Evans is another example, at times you could put on a blindfold and think you're at the piano bar at the Algonquin and others like on Kind of Blue he blended in just fine with Miles, Cannonball, Trane, Tyner and Cobb...all of whom were black.

Regarding Jimmy Giuffre, not a name you hear enough about in my opinion. Pioneer in many respects and his sound of which I am familiar with is the early large ensemble / big band music. Sounds no different then what the Count or Duke did or Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey for that matter.

Styles not color my friend. I've got some long overdue Jimmy on my Spotify now...sincerely appreciate you bringing him up.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If you are going to post a video of My Favorite Things, at least include the one of the American musical prodigies that not enough people have heard about...Eric Dolphy. Stockholm 1961.

5. They had a concert on the beach near Rotterdam with the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra:
    Spektakel: mega-podium op Tweede Maasvlakte voor concert ...

https://www.ad.nl › rotterdam › spektakel-mega-podium-op-tweede-maasv...

4 jul. 2019 - Het podium voor The Beach Boys komt van de grond. ... op de grote, schier eindeloze Tweede Maasvlakte bezig zijn met het bouwen van een ...

[​IMG]

Crews of containerships mored close to the event couldnot believe their luck and took out dekchairs on their ships to enjoy the concert.
    https://dagblad010.nl/Algemeen/beach-boys-schitteren-op-de-maasvlakte
    leadzanger Mike Love afterwards. “Fantastic. Once in a lifetime. Thanks Leo. This is Royalhistory.”

He said in his life he played everywhere, in freezing cold and unbearable heat, but never in the middle of huge cranes and the biggest ships in the world.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  6. Even in 4k quality:

There's alot posted on YT from this concert!

7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you don't think the BigSoccer message boards are a true example of American life.

Especially not P&CE.

8. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's not. OTOH since many people live in racial silos for much of their lives, it's good to hear what POC have to think.

9. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always nice to see differing opinions and experiences across all lines and it would be even nicer to get more female perspective on some issues as well.

I don't know how much variety there truly is in here though.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  10. 50 shades of white:D

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Do we need to recruit in some women's forums? Just worried how they'll react to all the jazz, pizza and AUFC posts.

Dr. Wankler and stanger repped this.
  12. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been a few women posters that I can remember in the last 10+ years but they aren't really as active as most of you are.

Maybe they don't want to read the boards that are just someone's twitter feed? ;)

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe we should change the forum's tag line from "Hail Grimes" to " No Dick Pics, We Promise."

Or "Dick Pics: Never Had Them: Never Will."

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    BB without Brian Wilson is like Journey without Steve Perry

chaski and russ repped this.
  15. Dick Advocaat doesnot approve this message:cool:

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have his autograph from the season when he played for the Chicago Sting.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I asked some of the posters in the women's forum to bring their WNT v. USSF posts to P&CE, but no one has. It's a political topic, and fits/belongs here, IMO. The degree to which the info can be skewed or ignored to fit their agenda is pretty high when nothing is subjected to more scrutiny. They don't much gaf about club football compared to the NT. They seem much more interested in the brief, bright flash that is the WWC. I don't think I've ever seen such a tail-wags-dog approach to the game.

Women eat pizza just like we do. They just don't make bold,self-congratulatory statements on FB when they cook something like we do (bows head in guilt)

Jazz? In almost 25 years of playing some kind of jazz-ish weekend warrior material, I can count on one hand the number of women I've played with who did more than sing, and I'd have two fingers left. I don't know what that's about, but I bet it can be traced to sexism of some kind. We can do better.

There's only about seven or eight of us posting in the AUFC forum* all told, and none are female. I'm sure they'd love to read about us, tho, if they ever started becoming interested in club ball and wanted to do the right thing and support only a domestic club.

*I do a lot of lurking in the Columbus, DC and Chicago forums because they've been around so long that they have much larger presences here than we do. Our FB presence rivals anyone's, but that's not a really knowledgeable group.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now, there's a name that'd have you fighting every day in middle school

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. :D
    Here's my Dick pic:ROFLMAO:
    upload_2019-11-9_15-2-37.jpeg

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    song219 repped this.
  21. phedre44

phedre44 Member

SKC
    Apr 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I distinctly remember you condescendingly brushing off my views on abortion because you assumed I was young, so this post is hilarious to me.

22. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Cascarino's Pizzeria and russ repped this.
  23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I once was ordered by a top boss not to speak in Spanish to my Latino subordinates. We filed a grievance. To make a long story short, the top boss was eventually transferred to the Traffic courthouse - the Courts equivalent of Siberia.