Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, for a second there I thought his name was Dr. Al Manac, and he had this amazing memory to recall the most arcane facts.

2. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Not gonna lie, I'd be a pretty concerned if a passenger next to me on a flight said, "I'll see you on the other side." Doesn't matter if it's a Saudi or a white guy from Kansas.

sitruc, dapip and Chicago76 repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    ChiefAggravatingCoati-max-1mb.gif

dapip repped this.
  4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    If I found myself in that woman’s position, I can’t imagine reporting him under anything but the most incriminating of circumstances. As in, weird tone and there would need be close to a complete comedy sketch of additional contextual misinterpretations.

Still, there’s dumb shit to say on a plane and “see you on the other side” while saying goodbye to your wife is one of those things. It’s just a weird ass construction no matter who says it.

Give you an example: and I think I’ve seen something similar in a news report too. some old white guy with a rural Missouri accent got into it with the manager of a convenience store in our neighborhood. Nothing serious or heated. Just a lot of bitching and complaining about service, selection, prices. Rude. The manager (Arab) said something back. Guy finally left with his purchase and as we was leaving, he waved and said “Be careful.” with a sarcastic tone. The Arab guy immediately perceived a threat.

Had to explain that some people use this as an alternative to “Take Care” or “Have a Nice Day”. The guy was giving him a sarcastic, “It’s been great”.

5. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    [​IMG]

6. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I would of thought I missed the trailing end of a different sentence.

“See you on the other side...of the gate.”

It would definitely get my attention though.

7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Who the ******** listens to what other people say on a flight?

8. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    I do. Not because I want to. But because the plane is always quiet and some jackass thinks an aluminum tube containing 200 people is a good place for a private conversation.

sitruc, superdave, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  9. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I naturally tune out people. If someone on a plane threatened to blow my brains out my probable response would be on the lines of asking him to repeat himself.

onefineesq, dapip and Timon19 repped this.
  10. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    That goes for most city buses and metro trains.

sitruc, dapip, Dr. Wankler and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Then you’re lucky. Because there’s one person in every three or so flights I want to murder by the time we land. I give kids 12 and under a pass.

dapip repped this.
  12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    People on elevators talking about banging Stacy from HR too.

sitruc and dapip repped this.
  13. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The only place where I'm still forced to listen to private conversations now is on city buses.

raza_rebel repped this.
  14. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Great thing about bus and subway conversations: you get to hear some interesting stuff. Plane conversation topics: golf, last time I went to Vegas I won x, I visited [someplace] once, business, I’m visiting my aunt who has 6 weeks to live, my dead husband who was supposed to make this trip with me, I’m planning my wedding OMG, let’s go to the Rainforest Cafe Tuesday. It’s either mundane or depressing AF.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  15. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    OTOH it is a bit funny to see the one hump who eyes linger in the general direction of the person who still thinks their phone needs to be yelled into. Only to have that person snap at them for *gasp* listening in on their conversation.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I used to love New York City. Then they put cell service on the subway.

17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That guy was in my coffeehouse a couple of weeks ago.

The owners told him to never come back.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I doubt you would be that concerned if it was a white guy from Kansas, but that is just me...o_O

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd be much more concerned about the White Kansan myself. Conservatives haven't declared that Black folks are going to Hell (yet), but the Saudi isn't expecting me to make it to the other side because faith, and would never say that unless he thought I was Muslim.

Chicago76, charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The hot tub at the clubhouse in our development. An adult woman and her parents disparaged for about 20 minutes about some gorgeous relative that first went into fitness modeling and later became anorexic. It included a lot of personal details on the subject. I felt so included in the conversation that almost asked them for her Facebook profile.

InTheSun and Chicago76 repped this.
  22. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Heard that quite a bit in high school as we had a very notable Chinese/Taiwanese student population and it was pretty spilt between those who had "American" names by birth, "American" names as a preference, and just stuck with their traditional names. The weird thing was how occasionally there would be a student who was born in Taiwan or China whose birth name was "Steve" or "Sara" or something like that, and those who were born here who could hardly speak Cantonese or Mandarin but had names like Qinglan or Xinghua.

I've done that a few times, specially when there are symmetrical vowels. But when there is that third consent, I struggle.

Many years ago, I worked with a guy who was born in Juba, Sudan (now South Sudan). He said he had 3 older brothers, and at 6' 5", he was the shortest brother.

The great thing about this guy, though, is that he used to tell the students that in his tribe, to become a man you had to kill a lion with your bare hands. He never said he did, but all the students were like "I'm not gonna mess with him." And there students were gang members, guys who were in a, basically, juve prison-school.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I only do that with my wife.

raza_rebel, song219, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless you are flying into New York or Washington then you get all kinds of strange business calls. I've regularly heard guys taking shit about fellow coworkers or sales that need to proceed or meeting which need to be set up.

But don't let me start on my flights to Orlando...

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  25. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I fly on Xanax Airlines. Never a problem.

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.