Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    And how many people got slaughtered in San Bernandino after a "racist" or rather "non-racist" white woman decided not to support the suspicious behavior of her Mulsim neighbors to the police for fear of a being "racist" in doing so?

Or in Fort Hood, when colleagues of Major Nidal Hassan kept their concerns to themselves out of fear of being labeled "islamophobic" and having their careers derailed?

2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    At a loss for words!

Muslim boy's spelling mistake leads to terrorism probe
    CBS News - ‎4 hours ago‎

LONDON -- Police have dropped an investigation of a 10-year-old Muslim boy who mistakenly wrote that he lived in a "terrorist house" rather than a "terraced house" - a British term for row houses

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's a tricky one. I think they are right. I just think they are attacking symptom rather than the cause.

It would be awful if future nominee panels started picking black nominees because they feel they ought to be selecting some black actors/writers etc each year. Nobody should have their award tarnished by the suspicion that they only won it because someone felt that had to meet a quota.

It would be better, in my opinion anyway, to highlight examples of black actors etc whose roles they feel are at least as worthy of nomination as actors who have been nominated. Questioning why specific example have been overlooked makes a far better case than a generic call for more diversity in those nominated.

You'd also question the diversity of the people choosing the nominees, as that's ultimately where the problem lies.

Gamecock14 repped this.
  4. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    And how many people got slaughtered in the Charleston church massacre after "racist" or rather "non-racist" friends and neighbors decided not to report the suspicious behavior of their angry white friend to the police for fear of a being labeled "politically correct" in doing so?

Or in the Wisconsin Sikh temple massacre, when a friend of Wade Michael Page kept his concerns to himself out of fear of being labeled "anti-white" and being ostracized from the group?

5. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say this. I think part of the problem this year was that film critics were very high on a few movies starring black actors yet they did not get any nominations.

IMO, (I think the daily show said this as well), Movies and Black Actors tend to get nominated if they portray slavery/segregation, inherently evil characters, or rise up from poverty due to hard work and assistance from someone else. I think this is a problem in that these are the types of movies that get green lighted by studios and movies that tend to get some recognition of being great. Is this a cultural thing? I don't know.

I really thought Creed would have been nominated. I know that Stallone was nominated, but it was very well made. Although I refuse to watch it again until they add a scene where Creed's son truly confronts Rocky for murdering his father.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    DNA's a BigSoccer treasure...

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Didn't Apollo Creed die in the ring in a fight against some Russian. Or maybe I'm misremembering. Or missing a joke.

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Rocky did not throw the towel.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

(NSFW for Language)

Gamecock14 repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ay! Yawr re-TAHHH-did, ya stoopit Noo Yahwkuh! Bawbby thu bahtendah, he goes t'me, he goes, "you caaahn't pahk yuh caaahr heeh, yuh gutta paahk ovah theyah in thu paahkin lawt." An you leave Bill outa this! He's gunna win anothah soopha bowl, pallie!

11. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia

I like how it goes over the ocean a little bit.

Also, Giordano's in Chicago is still the best pizza I've ever had. Yeah, yeah, yeah "it's not pizza, it's a pot pie!" I don't care. It beats anything I've had in New York

Gamecock14 repped this.
  12. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #112 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
    You mean cheese/dough/sauce casserole. Pot pies have a nice flaky crust.

And I bet you still have the runs to prove it

russ and roby repped this.
  13. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignorance of White Privileged.

14. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think the stunning thing about that picture is that they probably mean no malice by it, and to them it's just a joke.

That, and the preparation they'd need to get the t-shirts made means it can't have even been a "mad moment". They'd have had to have sat, down, had the idea, discussed it, and and no point considered how awful it would look.

It reminds me of going to a football match in Russia, and hearing people collapse in fits of giggles after some fans started doing monkey chants at a black player on the other team. It wasn't such a surprise out there, but in the USA?

15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #116 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  16. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Exactly. ******** PC. If you have some real concerns that some nasty shit may be going down, you should not be afraid to speak up out of fear of being labeled whatever "...ist" or ."...phobic" or "too PC" from either side of the isle.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Whoooosh

18. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Says the man who got kicked out of the racism forum because of his racist post about IIRC Mexicans and lawn mowing, when he once again showed his inability to intellectually or emotionally handle a disagreement and resorted yet again to a personal attacks.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Says the guy who got so emotional about my correcting his misinformed posts that he asked me personally to stop quoting him. Now he's quoting me.

You can't seem to get anything right, DNA.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no probably. They think there is no malace, but they are being completely ignorant.

Awful? That is how you describe what they did? It is a bunch of privildged White girls displaying racism.

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Does awful have a different meaning in the USA?

Boogie_Down repped this.
  22. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like how only "white" people can be racist around here....

23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Using that word minimizes what they did. Just like you can say that what those girls did was awful, you can also say that ham sandwich is awful.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, please tell me how my people have suffered though centuries of oppression and subjugation, government sponsored and enforced.

fatbastard repped this.