Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Fat chance. Cortez was hard enough for him to remember.

charlie15 repped this.
  2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hed solidify the incel vote by calling her a femoid.

sitruc, Dr. Wankler and dapip repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What someone said about him being always wrong on 50/50s....

4. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002

This is why it’s imperative people who do/should know better don’t play into the false equivocation purity test trap. The only way the tide doesn’t turn is if the malignant sentiment in that segment is not politically contained. If it’s not contained and institutions cumble, all bets are off. Demographics only prevail with relatively welll functioning democratic institutions.

rslfanboy and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    This backfires 100%. It is very unAmerican for a white to tell anyone to go back, and it is very American to criticise anything that's wrong with America. It's also American to tell whites to go back, but yall already knew that.

That reminds me of another WS meme that backfires:

Just say majority POC or majority nonwhite, when something isn't a minority anymore, there's no need to use the word anymore at all. Like I told DominicanLou here years ago, it's a goofy label to begin with. Never liked it, even in childhood.
    Exactly, that's why no usmnt supporter should ever complain if a POC NT has more fans in the stands. Those racist whites are biting the hand that feeds them.
    After a 2007 friendly from Glendale, Ar, a usmnt supporter here had the nerve to tell a native Californian to "go back". He responded dignified, informing the idiot that his family was in California for centuries.

Racists do not think before speaking.

It looks like The Squad are gaining support against Trump. Leave it to women of color to take him down. Wouldn't be surprised if The Squad continues to rise, and runs things the next decade.

6. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    My money is actually on that not being precisely the case. I think the next coalition will be "fvck rural people". Largish urban areas are the engine of economic growth. Urban areas are more efficient wrt ROIs on govt outlays. 30K towns 1hr+ outside of large metros are going to continue to deteriorate, because nothing can be done to save them. The American Taliban/protect white America at all costs vibe is only getting worse from here on out. That's not going to win them sympathy in the long run.

So black people (at large) will finally surpass whites with a PAI...pervasive Appalachian influence.

7. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    The Squad is gaining support because they're useful at the moment. Don't kid yourself into believing they're going to be permitted to run anything over the next decade.

Maintain a bit of influence to nudge the ideological needle a bit? Sure. But no one is letting them run the Dem show. They're too far from both the mainstream of the party and the mainstream of the general electorate for that to happen.

rslfanboy and soccernutter repped this.
  8. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    He has that locked down already.

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This won't work in the near future, but will in the long term.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know, I did a study abroad in the mid 1990s and one of the people I spent a lot of time with was born in Lebanon during the civil war (man the stories she had about growing up). Her family had moved here and became US citizens. She eventually fell in love with a guy who was very politically active in the Democratic party, and they talked about getting married. She asked me at one point if I thought he could be President with her as his wife. I told her I'd be supportive, but I don't think this country is ready for that yet, or in the near future. As I look at the last 10 years, I see that those two were ahead of the curve by about 12 years, or more. So for The Squad, sure I can see how in maybe a decade, with experience and their ability to be vocal and hold court, they will be part of the mainstream and have major influence on the party, and directing the party beyond that. Would not surprise me to see AOC as leader of the house in 15 to 20 years.

charlie15 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  11. Still 3 syllables. Too much to remember for him.

12. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    You could very well be right that her ideas gain a lot of currency over the next 150-20 years. I think the story of Icarus is informative in this case. Most pols stay away from the sun early. They learn the mechanics and internal politics of the job in local offices or as state reps. And if they're a bit clumsy or piss off enough people within that limited constituency, there's always a statewide position they can move into where they haven't pissed off those people. Then they learn a little more and run for Congress or as a Senator.

The venue change is a way to figure out how to fly before they get closer to the sun. AOC is 29. She hasn't shied away from the sun. She's very strong wrt rhetorical arguments/questioning in hearings and has a skill for crafting issues in social media friendly terms. Those are very important. But she's also inexperienced at working within the mechanics of the two party system to move leg. She's brash. She draws attention. And she's human, so she's going to make mistakes. Her style draws attention to her ideas but it will also draw attention to her mistakes. Trump has been the glue that has sort of held this all in check for her politically. If there is a Dem POTUS in 2020, with a Dem House and especially if there is a Dem Senate, I expect her to clash with Dem leadership. A lot. That's the time for making enemies. She'll be right, but people will remember where she is wrong more. The people who tend to have real staying power on the national stage and who are elevated to leadership tend to be people who spend a number of years analyzing the chess board before making aggressive moves.

That's not her. I think there will be someone with a lot of her ideas and personal style in 10-20 years that emerges. I just think it will likely be someone who rides in her wake somewhere along the line.

rslfanboy, Moishe, russ and 3 others repped this.
  13. This. And the funny thing is that those rural rednecks are the ones going to pay dearly for the GOP/Conservative lunatics denial of climate change. The Dust Bowl should be a reminder to those loonies that when nature fvcks you, you're screwed major league.

14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    They're gonna fare a whole hell of a lot better than the Netherlands.

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm surprised he hasn't come up with Alcaida Ocasio Cortez

Cascarino's Pizzeria and sitruc repped this.
  16. :ROFLMAO:
    We're already preparing for a sea level rise of a couple of meters.
    We use nature itself to build a wall. Are you watching Trvmp?

http://nlintheusa.com/the-sand-motor/

17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, no, no. He gets laid*, which makes him a Chad!!!!!!
    *for incels, rape=sex

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She may not be interested in power as you or I understand it. She may also consider that those years " learning" the ropes are really shorthand for becoming corrupted and complicit in the system.

soccernutter and Chicago76 repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In don't necessarily disagree, but I think the key factor here is that she is 29. She is young and she is brash and she is not afraid of the spotlight, nationally. Sure she'll clash, but the question is if that his her MO as a politician or if that is because she is young. I think there should be much given in that at 29, she is willing to on the national stage. That's not chicken-scratch for anybody, let along somebody that young. And I see her as not being afraid to make those mistake now, and to be able to hone her skills and emerge as a leader in 15 or so years, if that is an option she wants.

Chicago76 repped this.
  20. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Yeah this is kinda where my head was going. I don't think she's interested in house leadership. I think she's interested in building a brand, for herself and the issues she cares about, as quickly as possible. Even if that means placing a lower ceiling on where she could end up in office. If she can grab some victories, and build a huge following among a subset of the population, she can do her own thing. PAC/lobbying/legal/charitable stuff for the issues that matter most to her. A book deal or three. Inspire little girls. Organize/develop a candidate bench for the next generation of candidates. That sort of thing.

She's 29. But in 15 years, she'll be a 15 year vet regardless of her age. She could very well improve a lot to the point where she is easily the most qualified for X. But if you piss off enough House Dems--even behind the scenes--they'll see to it you don't get the spot. Hell, she could be a well qualified POTUS candidate in 15 years. But with enough of an extremely high profile record over those 15 years, she'll get Monday Morning Quarterbacked to death. Bernie, for being older than time itself, kept a fairly low profile until he decided it was time to run. I feel like we live in a bizarro world these days where experience is a bad thing...because record. The only thing worse than that is a lot of experience constantly under the microscope where real/perceived missteps get blown up on a semi-regular basis. The Hillary treatment. AOC will get the Hillary treatment.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The last President to be elected with a record was Richard Nixon. Ford wasn't elected, Carter was an outsider, Reagan had no Washington experience, Daddy Bush had no real record except for being VP which does not count, Bill was a nobody governor, W was a mostly ceremonial governor, Obama was a very junior Senator, and Trump was .. well, I don't know what he was. A troll, I guess.

People like dreams, it seems.

Chicago76 repped this.
  22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

charlie15 repped this.
  23. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Democrats and liberals have been saying this for almost 20 years yet in 2016 the GOP controlled all three branches and the US had elected the most laughably unqualified president in its history.

Truth is, total population doesn't matter THAT much because minorities- especially Latinos- are much younger and poorer than whites, and the older and more affluent a group is, the higher their voter turnout.

The electorate is still 3/4 white and all the GOP candidate needs to do is get their votes in the high 50s and they'll win (I think McCain only got 55%). And the only battleground state that's close to having a majority of nonwhites is Nevada.

So yeah, it WILL eventually catch up to them, but it won't be for another decade or two.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, you are all over analyzing AOC and you also fail to understand her generational appeal. She is very skilled at what she does, relate much better to Millenials and future voters than most of today's political actors, she is smart and learning fast. Just see her questions in hearings, she is by far better at it than most of the old timers in the house.
    Saying that she will get the Hillary treatment does not make any sense. She does not have HRC "Baggage "(Bill &all) and she knows how to use the media tools at her disposal.

xtomx, song219, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  25. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

This is like someone who burned down a house and complained that he should not have been called an arsonist because other people burned down entire towns and they are "really arsonists".