Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    In fact, the expectation that people will soft pedal its presence so as not to offend is itself a manifestation of it.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't tell who's the dude they're talking to. It can't be the President - not fat enough.

Deadtigers, sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  3. You know, this is what happens when you're not having prisons as a profit maker:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wo...als-to-fill-its-prisons-as-crime-to-drop.html
    Netherlands doesn't have enough criminals to fill its prisons as crime to drop
    Crime will drop by 0.9 per cent per year in the next five years and as a result, prisons will be forced to close
    [​IMG]
    A prisoner in his cell in Scheveningen Prison, The Hague, Netherlands Photo: Alamy

By Senay Boztas, Amsterdam

5:37PM GMT 22 Mar 2016

The Netherlands is suffering an unusual crime problem: there isn’t enough of it to fill prisons.

dapip repped this.
  4. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    If we’re looking to fill prisons in The Hague, I know some good people on both sides...

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Crime rates are dropping all over the developed world, presumably due to demographics, that is the average age is becoming older. It's happening in the U.S., too, although I don't think we have too many empty prisons.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    They're getting new contracts to be detention centers.

7. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Maybe it's because there's less white people around.

Seriously though, whenever I argue about crime and race with right wingers, I always bring up how the decrease in crime has coincided with the increase in the nonwhite population. They get really mad because they're the self-declared owners of reason and logic.

I'm all, Facts don't care about your feelings. Less white people, less crime.

8. Curious about a thing in relation to white privilige.
    I've seen a few people, adopted as non white kids into well to do Dutch families.
    They themselves turned out as successful people.
    Relation between it?
    How is that in the USA?
    Of course that whole wp thing seems to be very much related to the segregation syndrom of the USA, but I suppose it's also in a mild form present in the Netherlands.

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. So,
    How predictive has this been?
    [​IMG]

charlie15 repped this.
  10. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that real?

11. Yup. Stern was criticised for it by the Simon Wiesenthal Institute.

12. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy, Chicago76 and charlie15 repped this.
  13. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What will most likely happen is some current minority group will be accorded whiteness and its accompanying ingroup status.Just as the filthy irish and italians were.
    Its super effective.

Deadtigers, JohnR and sitruc repped this.
  14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    One third of Hispanics, roughly speaking, seem to think that they are insiders, although with Trump attacking anybody who has a Spanish-sounding surname, regardless of their origin, those Hispanics are fooling themselves badly.

rslfanboy, charlie15 and dapip repped this.
  15. It works as the GOP is fooling poor whites that voting for racism against minority groups is going to help them.

Deadtigers and JohnR repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Interesting how that dynamic is changed. Poor Protestant whites didn't like anybody besides Protestant whites in the Thirties, because that stuff never changes, but they didn't resent Eleanor Roosevelt's very public support of blacks and Jews. They still thought that Eleanor spoke for them too -- for the disadvantaged everywhere.

The Republicans have learned how to use the wedge since then, so no more. Now if you help other groups, poor whites will view that as neglecting them.

Deadtigers and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I saw a funny CNN segment the other day: In a 3 way debate the democratic operative tells the GOP Latino operative pretty much, that he's fooling himself if he thinks once he's served his purpose the GOP will still back him...

https://caching.grabien.com/c/streams/0654/BM7ldfIQsMg5RcSIn_fw2g/1563499381/654159.mp4

Actually it was "White Nationalists will never love you", but it's about the same thing...

charlie15 repped this.
  18. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's possible. Or the concept of whiteness itself will be replaced by another dividing line orthogonal to skin color. Human beings like ordering and categorizing and we're shitty people so the problem will never go away, but it looks like we'll abandon skin color as *the* important thing eventually.

soccernutter and russ repped this.
  19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But rest assured that whatever we come up with to replace it, black folks will still be at the bottom.

20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Steve Cortez....This dude is such a douchebag it is not even funny.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could "like" that tweet 10 times..

Deadtigers, sitruc and dapip repped this.
  22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh sh!t... that makes this even better:

feyenoordsoccerfan, sitruc and charlie15 repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not bad. The closest thing to humor that I can recall from The Occupant.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And replace it with what ?Secret handshakes?Stars on clothes ?Scannable microchips flashing your caste membership on a smart screen?

dapip repped this.
  25. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    And of course, he picked the absolute wrong last name to call her. If he wanted to cut it short, he should have gone with Ocasio.