Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I think by winter we'll have one. But I've been wrong before. It would be good timing, if the goal is to defeat Trump.

Recessions are a necessary evil. If the economy expanded forever, we'd probably be extinct by now.

Deadtigers repped this.
  2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The ironic thing about Trump's Israel hugging schtick (I hope you saw what I did there), wherein he accuses Dems of being anti-Semitic, is that the Jews know he's full of shit. Only Christians believe that nonsense.

3. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's true.

4. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Barr shoots down federal civil rights charges for NYPD who choked out & killed Eric Garner

Barr sides against civil rights officials in declining to bring charges against NYPD officer in Garner case
    By David Shortell, CNN

Washington (CNN) — Attorney General William Barr made the decision not to bring federal civil rights charges against the New York Police Department officer accused of fatally choking Eric Garner, siding with a Justice Department team from New York over the Civil Rights Division in Washington due to concerns that prosecutors could not successfully prove the officer acted willfully, a senior Justice Department official said.

The decision to not pursue the charges against the officer, Daniel Pantaleo, came after a dispute between the teams, the official said. Barr made the decision after viewing the video showing Garner's takedown several times and quizzing both groups of attorneys.

It is not unusual for the attorney general, as the head of the Justice Department, to make final prosecution calls.

The divide between New York prosecutors and civil rights officials in Washington, DC, existed as well under the Obama administration, creating a stalemate that left the case unresolved before Donald Trump was elected President in 2016, CNN has reported.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/07/16/po...el-pantaleo/index.html?r=https://www.cnn.com/

sitruc repped this.
  5. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Uruguay is a very small country, of about 2,5 million people, of which about 50,000 identify themselves as Afro-Uruguayans. As in Argentina, they've had influence in music. The candombe, which is a bit like tango on steroids, with a drum beat, is now experiencing a revival. Racism is not as overt as it is in the US, but Afro-Uruguayans will tell you that it does exist and that they don't have the same opportunities as whites - so, we could say they are also the victims of white privilege.

Deadtigers repped this.
  6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, there are more than 50K in Uruguay. It is estimated at 6 to 8% of the population. I was actually surprised to see the number of black people in Montevideo.

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That’s so goy...

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am correct, that statue is no longer there. It looks like the one which used to be in Memphis which was removed by...brace yourselves...a Republican mayor.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, that guy can kiss off state-wide or national office.

10. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, though I get the feeling that he is more about the local, possibly even congressional rep. I was skeptical of him coming in (funny thing, we both had the same barber/stylist before I left Memphis), but he seems to see a larger picture, more cosmopolitan idea of what Memphis needs to become and improve to. From what I have seen, he has kinda won me over.

11. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It would never be otherwise in a Trump administration.

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-industrial-production-slumps-in-second-quarter-2019-07-16

What they are saying? “The sector is in recession. That’s not news, it’s a consequence of China’s cyclical slowdown and the trade war. We expect another tough quarter in Q3, but by Q4 we think a trade deal will have been done and China’s economy will be turning up,” said Ian Shepherdson, chief economist at Pantheon Macroeconomics.

13. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Hmmm. I'd think the Chinese would wait out a final negotiation until the 2020 election cycle is over, unless Trump bends over backwards to their demands.

It isn't like the Chinese government officials are going to lose an election over this.

Deadtigers repped this.
  14. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I check marketwatch just about every day. They have been saying for 6-12 months that a recession is coming.

Dr. Wankler and raza_rebel repped this.
  15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The recession is due and there are signs that it's coming. But, economics is an imperfect science, and there are so many variables involved, some known and some unknown. We know it's coming, but getting the timing right involves both understanding the science and lots of luck. If you can time it right and make a killing in the market or in real estate, I'd say you were lucky rather than good.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I get that, but they keep saying there is another historical trigger and another historical trigger...I know a recession is coming, I'm just saying that marketwatch is kinda going the "the sky is gonna fall really soon" for the past 6 to 12 months.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, and when it inevitably happens, they will say that they predicted it. It's like the people who want to sell you gold.

rslfanboy, ceezmad, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  18. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Last time I checked, we currently live in a dystopian hellscape where this administration atones for nothing it does, so if y'all are expecting a recession to begin and knock Trump on his ass in time for the 2020 election, boy have I got some prime beachfront property in Glendale, Arizona to sell you.

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Reminds me of this video about a black American experiencing the difference between a German police officer and an American one:

Dr. Wankler and charlie15 repped this.
  20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    They predicted nine of the last five recessions.

Deadtigers, rslfanboy, song219 and 8 others repped this.
  21. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I keep seeing this political cartoon and really don't know what to make of it. FB_IMG_1563332991677.jpg

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    "Americans for Limited Government" kinda tells you their slant

23. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12348 charlie15, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Don't even need to know the author to see their slant. Complete misrepresentation of their message as well as Trump comments. Not to mention, to make Trump look better than 4 attractive women is really telling! ...It is garbage.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did any of the four of them say America stinks?
    I don't think so.

Also, that is the quote of Trump that had angered people. It is still racist, but not the most racist part.

Any more than that is a waste of time.

Deadtigers, charlie15 and sitruc repped this.
  25. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yeah, too many snowflakes get triggered by the word "white." They feel personally attacked even though what's being attacked is the privilege.

I think it's perfectly descriptive and accurate. These people just need to put on their big boy pants and deal with it. At most, other types of privileges should be pointed out. I try to point out my male, class, and sexual orientation privilege whenever I'm explaining white privilege.

Deadtigers, charlie15 and taosjohn repped this.