Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Yeah, it's a very South American outlook. They do complain about the cost of living and prices but they always seem to find funds for said party.

2. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There was a joke about a family that needed to collect money for some medical treatment for a grandma but most relatives claimed that they didn't have much money and they fell short of the target. When grandma died, and they decided to have a celebration of her life, money poured in and they partied for about a week.

Priorities.

Deadtigers, roby, Dr. Wankler and 3 others repped this.
  3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's the same in Argentina too. I talk to my relatives and friends, and the way they complain, it sounds like they are all starving and dying. Then when I visit, it's party party party non stop. We go out every night, all the restaurants and clubs are always full of people partying and you wonder where the crisis is. People are so used to crisis and losing everything that whatever they have, they spend. We have a saying, "Quien te quita lo bailado" , which means "Who can take away the dancing you already did".

Deadtigers, Boloni86, superdave and 2 others repped this.
  4. Ehh, nooo....Saxons came from Germany....their streets are as ugly as the AngloSaxons ones
    [​IMG]
    Donot look at the house, look at the street...awfull. Mannheim.
    [​IMG]
    © Peeta

It was an American woman, living in the Netherlands, I saw on Youtube that pointed at it.
    She said she didnot need a border to know she leaves or enters the Netherlands. The streets tell her if she's in or out:cool:

ToMhIlL repped this.
  5. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are pretty cool! There is a building I saw in Darmstadt Germany that is pretty crazy like those, but here's one I've been past a bunch of times in Cambridege, MA:
    [​IMG]

7. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not one mention of intersectionality. Epic missed opportunity.

But seriously, like people in the thread, I wonder how it went over among the "I'm white and have faced struggles, therefore 'white privilege' is racist against white people" crowd.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, found it! This is the Darmstadt building:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dapip and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  9. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    What is this thread's opinion on white privilege. Do yall feel it exists

If you do, what do you do to rectify the situation. Does it ever get awkward

Hey ceesmad, why do you feel that whites are more privileged than you. What do you feel they owe you

10. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1) Yes
    2) Case by case basis. A point I make (usually to white people who are feeling "economic anxiety") is that few if any people are asking that we give up white privilege. They just want us to share it so that POC (to take one example from Gillbrand's tweet) don't go to jail for things white people do with relative impunity. Her example is weed. Around here it would be riding those quad-cycles in the city: police had a "no chase" policy until black people took up the hobby.
    3) Pretty much always with white people.

charlie15, russ, sitruc and 1 other person repped this.
  11. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Curious: when do you have the occasion/opportunity/whatever to make points like this? When/where do you have conversations with people about things like whether white privilege exists?

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Most recently, in a coffeehouse with a generally nice guy who watches too much Fox News. He can usually keep his cool, but, like most Fox viewers, he can get triggered easily. A few weeks ago, he went on a "the problem with black people" thing about a case here where three black kids were charged in the death of a white police officer who, in pursuit, vaulted a wall that was about five feet high on the side he climbed over, but 20 feet on the other side.

That was a few years ago, the kids, in their teens, were tried as adults. Then, a few weeks ago, the question about parole came up for them, and he was having none of it. I pointed out that, if the kids have been white, there wouldn't have been a pursuit. And even if there had been, I doubt any of them would be in any serious detention, since they really had little to do with the officer's death (a point I would have NOT made had any of the Sheriff's deputies who frequent the place been around). I also agreed with him that it's a good idea to listen to the police, but pointed out a lot of black people have done just that and wound up dead.

Like the people JohnR mentioned not lng ago, I doubt he changed his mind.

13. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coffeehouse? Like what I think of when I think of a coffeehouse?
    [​IMG]

Can you elaborate on the circumstances of this? Was he someone you knew reasonably well beforehand? Someone that you didn't know that well, but had had conversations with in the past? Or was he just a person you didn't know who started venting in the direction of a TV, and you then engaged him over the things that he said?

I'm just wondering how these conversations *happen* for some people, because they pretty much never do for me, except occasionally online. I feel like this is the kind of thing where people (especially me) have to be brave and talk about it with others; but I don't know what that means in a practical sense. Such conversations can't really happen at work (in fact, if politics -- not issues, but *politics* -- are involved, they legally cannot occur at work); they don't at home because for the most part my wife and I are on the same page; and these days I don't seem to get out much.

Deadtigers and dapip repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I know him reasonably well: I go to this particular coffeehouse three times a week. He's retired (82 years old to my 58) and is there every day. We've been on a first name basis for about five years. And what set him off was a poster for a fundraiser for one (or all, don't remember) of the people in jail.

I'm not the sort of person that will have a conversation like this with strangers, mainly because I'm not the sort of person that converses with strangers. And if I have conversations like this at work, I'm usually the teacher, so I try not to be the lefty version of my high school civics teacher: a John Bircher who got removed from his post at the local American Legion forbthe extrmity of his views. Though when I was teaching Jr. college football players a few years back, 95% of whom were black, that was a lot different.

Here is the coffeehouse. The barista on the left was working today. The one on the right has his own roasting business and is doing well

[​IMG]

Not sure what the guy ordering is up to right now...

luftmensch, charlie15, Pønch and 2 others repped this.
  15. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The one on the right needs to shave, that's disgusting.

Clinton's a pervert.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Maybe. He & Obama were pretty good presidents tho. We have a rapist, racist moron in that office now.

charlie15, Auriaprottu and dapip repped this.
  17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    In what way? What policies of theirs did you like, and how did they benefit you personally?

18. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    How about some equal treatment by police, politicians, restaurant owners, and white people in general for starters.

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and sitruc repped this.
  19. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Trying to figure out how much dirt Epstein has on him.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What's disgusting about it? It's facial hair. I've never worn one of those beards where you have to go to the barber every week to have every strand carefully lasered to the same length and then lasered around the edges.

But we knew that already...

I like the policies of what they didn't do- stir up every third member of his base into a raging conservative war machine. I benefit personally by being allowed to live and work in relative peace. You're asking for a pony, and America has never awarded ponies to POCs. The best you can hope for is your human rights. Let's work toward bringing those back to at least where they were.

luftmensch, xtomx and dapip repped this.
  21. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not going to discuss Clinton and Obama's policies. They have been discussed to death.

I do not want policies to benefit me personally. I want policies that benefit society as a whole.

I will not "personally benefit" from tuition-free (or debt-free) college, but I am a big supporter of it.

I do not personally benefit from comprehensive immigration reform or treating immigrants and asylum seekers humanely, but I support both.

I do not personally benefit from SSI or Medicaid, but I gladly acknowledge that a potion of my payroll supports both.

This idea that have to "personally benefit" from a policy to support is just about the most selfish thing I have read.

Deadtigers, song219, luftmensch and 9 others repped this.
  22. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I'd say that I do benefit personally from a bunch of this stuff. I'm drawing SS, but long before I started, I benefitted from the absence of elders starving in the streets. I benefit from immigrants revitalizing the economy, I would benefit from a tuition free/debt free college structure in that an informed body politic could be sustained without the desperation and the resentment that is currently building against those of us who predated the problem-- that's me that is getting resented, and I resent it even as I understand it.

Metaphorically, the nation is my city, and I benefit from anything that benefits any part of it, not just my neighborhood. The potholes can dent my rims no matter whose street they are actually on...

23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yes, exactly. I was thinking about adding the comment that we all indirectly benefit from policies that benefit society.

Thank you for your input.

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. Is this cultural appropriation?
    https://www.zomercarnaval.org/
    And a destructive thing to society as a whole as it invites corruption. This attitude in many southern countries is called clientelism and it's why those countries are hell holes for the unfortunate ones. The USA in a lot of points is very much like that.

25. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This ^

Deadtigers, xtomx and Auriaprottu repped this.