Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Why would I repeat what Bootsy posted?

2. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good lord.

roadkit, Moishe and Timon19 repped this.
  3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the teams that have blackout games are racist? So just about every college and high school in the country has them.

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    C'mon, you know you need to use the correct city and proper clarification of high school based upon an actual team schedule for this to be a legitimate question.

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Don't paint your face black. This isn't difficult. If you're a parent, teach and explain to your children why that should not be done. This isn't difficult.

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So blackout games automatically means you can paint your face in black.....Got it now.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So, someone paints the rest of themselves black and dresses in black, but their face must, at all times, remain unadorned?

Odd.

stanger repped this.
  9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Ignoring context.

Normal.

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The context ( in the context of one of these events) is immersion in the color of the "-out".

charlie15 repped this.
  11. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Public service.....

A common refrain in defense of blackface is that it is all in good fun, a joke, harmless, or not done with the intent to bother anyone. Some have even gone farther. Reason's Thaddeus Russell once wrote that the practice could be understood as a positive thing:

But here's the thing: not feeling racist when you're wearing blackface does nothing to change how it affects those who see it (and today, thanks to social media, that doesn't just mean your trick-or-treaters, or the guests at the party you attend — it means the world).

Your innermost thoughts don't change the impact blackface has on the people of all race saround you, or the way it reinforces stereotypes and the idea that blackness is, at best, a joke.

Finally, if you really cannot understand what's wrong with with blackface, challenge yourself to figure out what seems so right about it. Leonard suggests that blackface fans ask themselves, "Why do I derive pleasure from this? What's the investment in doing it, and what's the investment in defending it?"

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/why-is-blackface-offensive-halloween-costume

Deadtigers and sitruc repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No social or historical contexts matter of course.

charlie15 repped this.
  14. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You're arguing about context with a guy on the Asperger's/Autism spectrum. Why? The world is binary to him.

charlie15 repped this.
  15. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on the Aspergers/Autism spectrum?

VincitOmniaVeritas, Moishe and Timon19 repped this.
  16. Given the history of blackface in the USA and with what intent it was used in the States in the past (but also in the present), there's no excuse for doing it in the present time. You simply cannot do it in the States evermore.

charlie15 repped this.
  17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think it is stupid, but then you could have inferred that when I said high school kids say stupid things.

18. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again . . .

black·face
    /ˈblakfās/
    noun
    noun: blackface; noun: black-face; plural noun: blackfaces; plural noun: black-faces
    1. 1.
      the makeup used by a nonblack performer playing a black role.
      "he appeared in blackface"
    Do you have some information that indicates that the people in question were attempting to portray a black person? It's a simple question. But proceeding as if you know that they were when you don't is being intellectually dishonest. It's JamieBMore stuff. So do you? How?

ceezmad, Moishe and Timon19 repped this.
  19. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude (I assume you are a white dude), let me give you a friendly and helpful advice, wearing a blackface/ painting your face in black is never, never a good idea.

sitruc repped this.
  20. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude, you are grasping at straw now....Their intent is beyond the point, I am not here to read their mind and soul. It is just a bad and terrible idea, period.

21. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You continue to get just about every possible thing that you think you know about me extremely wrong. It's a hell of a record.

22. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Don't paint your face black.

xtomx and charlie15 repped this.
  23. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm trying to argue logically. You're simply using ad hominem.

What blackface is is the point. If they did not apply blackface, they're not guilty of applying blackface.

If you are claiming that any application of black paint to the face at any time, under any circumstances, for any reason, is blackface, you are redefining the term "blackface". Under its normal definition, an attempt to portray a black person in caricature must be present. Was it? That's all I'm asking.

24. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate, I am Black Man. If/ when I see a white man at a public event or place, with his face painted in black, like these boys were at the basketball game, it is totally offensive to me. I am going to ask them if it was an attempt to portray a black person or not and frankly I don't care what are their motives.
    As I mentioned before, just don't do it. It is a bad idea.

xtomx repped this.
  25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Under any circumstances, for any reason, regardless of purpose? In night-time combat exercises, military members paint their faces dark so that they're less easily seen. Is that bad?

When did it become the case that there's just no circumstance where it's OK, even if no sane person can possibly construe that race has anything whatsoever to do with it? Because the first I'm hearing this is right now. Seriously.

ceezmad repped this.