Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Saw somewhere that when he's retired from whatever Fox News/lobbying gig he gets next, he wants to be the ambassador to Ireland.

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony will be when the Irish 2.0 (you know ,pro choice,pro lgbt,socialized medicine) are the ones who come over as opposed to Paddy ,Mick,and Seamus..

3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Especially when you imagine the response on Fox had Obama done likewise with, say, Nigeria.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kenya!Kenyan Muslims!

sitruc, soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Like there's a difference among the people who would be wigging out.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? You're not giving the Fox audience much credit there. Of course they can tell the difference between people who are Hausa, Ibo, Kukuyu, or Luhya. Not like all those people look, talk and dress the same, right?

Deadtigers, raza_rebel and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe they are for the conservative Irish that want to get out of Ireland 2.0.

Deadtigers and russ repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, apparently Alice Walker is a fan of David Icke.

The definitive history of the Trump presidency better be named What A Long Strange Trip It's Been.
    Get it right, ************************. Obama is half Luo. (Like my kids. Have I mentioned that a thousand times before? ;:)

Deadtigers and russ repped this.
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I saw that in the NYT. Still going, "wtf?"

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #7935 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Racist VA EMT appears before the board of supervisors and the chair of the board dresses him down for his abhorrent views. Nazi claims it's a 1st amendment issue and he's an "entertainer." The media are "liars" out on a "witchhunt." :rolleyes:

superdave repped this.
  11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    fatbastard repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My graduate-school advisor: "You might think that I won't criticize Alice Walker because white people from privilege can't judge black artists. Wrong. Alice Walker sucks."

OK that's a paraphrase, but such was her position.

xtomx, Auriaprottu and superdave repped this.
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Not at all surprised. She's... triggered... about a lot of stuff.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I didn't know that this has become a thing.

https://slate.com/culture/2018/12/a...rk-times-by-the-book-feature-controversy.html

By the Book,” a weekly interview with an author about what he or she is currently reading begun in 2012, is widely regarded as one of the most successful recent innovations in the New York Times’ books coverage.* The New York Times Book Review—keenly scrutinized and critiqued by publishers and writers seeking to see their own interests advanced—isn’t a publication that can easily accommodate innovation, but “By the Book” has been popular enough to result in an anthology of past columns, published in 2015. As a person who believes that talking about what you’re reading is more interesting than talking about what you’re writing, I’ve long been a fan.

“By the Book” has also generated some glimmers of controversy over the years, but none to compare with the uproar occasioned by the Dec. 13 column interviewing Alice Walker, author of The Color Purple and a big fan of the wackadoo conspiracy theorist David Icke. Icke believes that a race of man-sized lizards wearing human disguises rules the world, but less entertainingly, he’s also an anti-Semite. When asked which books were on her nightstand, Walker included one of his, And the Truth Shall Set You Free. “In Icke’s books,” she rhapsodized, “there is the whole of existence, on this planet and several others, to think about. A curious person’s dream come true.”

Did not know that Icke was anti-Semitic. I am not surprised. IIRC, he also thought that Obama was a Lizard.

Walker has responded.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/12/20/18146628/alice-walker-david-icke-anti-semitic-new-york-times

Both Walker and Icke have contested the idea that Icke is anti-Semitic.

In a post on her website published in response to the outrage over her By the Book interview, Walker writes of Icke, “I do not believe he is anti-Semitic or anti-Jewish. I do believe he is brave enough to ask the questions others fear to ask, and to speak his own understanding of the truth wherever it might lead. Many attempts have been made to censor and silence him. As a woman, and a person of color, as a writer who has been criticized and banned myself, I support his right to share his own thoughts.”​

Okay, I can dig that. But ... Lizards???????

Deadtigers and soccernutter repped this.
  15. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you rather giant insects?

crazypete13 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I finally got around to listening to this podcast. The author and researcher here is Michael Tesler and he has some incredible research and insight into white psyche and how white opinions on the state of America changed when Obama won.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/r ... ncna926191

soccernutter and crazypete13 repped this.
  17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    And, as the discussion begins, the reverse holds true as well. This part really struck home -

My wife has gone all-in on black America. Reads African-American authors, goes to the films (we watched Beale Street this weekend), admires Kaepernick. Last time I took her to a sporting event, she sat through the anthem. African-Americans are Donald Trump's most reliable opponent, and that makes them top drawer in her book.

We're talking a born-and-bred Republican, from a white South Side neighborhood. Those people aren't raised to love the black man. And for a long time, she did not.

18. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is a Category FIVE understatement!

sitruc, crazypete13 and Deadtigers repped this.
  19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Her family was more enlightened than most. (Otherwise, we wouldn't be married.) But yeah.

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds a lot like Mrs. KCFutbol. :thumbsup:

21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My brother's future ex-wife grew up in Beverly. She remains numbered among those "most," in spite of a college efucation and a law degree

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Chicago Irish aren't overwhelmingly thrilled with this "diversity" thing.

russ, Deadtigers, sitruc and 2 others repped this.
  23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Y'all need another wet mayor!

Deadtigers repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Rahm didn't count? Man, I have no idea who the next mayor will be. Bill Daley is the only guy with a name, but I'm not sure that Chicago is pining for another Daley.

Auriaprottu repped this.