Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,what sort of a moron would willfully renounce privileged status in society and under law?

I didn't ask to be privileged,damnit!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds plausible when the underdog wins.(The lady getting her shit handed to her in the mural was 11-0 previously against all the dudes in town, according to Parks and Rec wiki.)

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile

Who doesn't enjoy "A Lively Fisting." :eek:

Dr. Wankler and russ repped this.
  4. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was going to put this in the cities thread but I will just place it here.

Racial segregation
    The great melting
    Cities are becoming less racially segregated. For that, thank suburban sprawl, extortionate house prices and immigrants
    Jan 9th 2016 | CHICAGO AND NEWHAM | From the print edition

[​IMG]

I do wonder if the 46% Hispanic is mostly dark Latinos with light Latinos or if it is Latinos marrying non Latinos.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did forget to post the link above.

7. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    687274636938186752 is not a valid tweet id

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Someone sent me this article to read the comments.

http://news.yahoo.com/college-students-claim-cafeteria-food-190553361.html

Funny in that only the title uses the word racist and the kids uses appropriation. In something I think they are actually right in, but the comments are the entire other way.

Essentially a kid was upset that the cafeteria was serving pulled pork and coleslaw on ciabatta (aka a pulled pork sandwich minus the sauce) and serving it as a Banh Mi Vietnamese sandwich which typically has grilled/fried pork and pickled veggies on a baguette.

I get the complaint because that sounds like someone selling a beef kabob in naan bread as an All American Beef Hot Dog. Because it has beef and bread around it.

Maybe I am too PC and don't get the people in the comments. I avoid the comments like the plague, but I was shocked by everyone saying it is not racist and not wrong in any way. I don't think it is racist, but it is not right.

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is pretty common,though.
    Pizza is not really Italian.
    Chinese food is not what they eat in China.
    Budweiser is not beer.
    Mexican food in the US is actually Northern Mexican food.

When poutine makes it in the US, it'll be Cheez Wiz and Heinz 57 over tater tots.

It's not so much an appropriation issue as it is the homogenization and mass marketing of all US food.

Auriaprottu and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will tell you a secret, Taco bell is not real Mexican food.

11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I get that and understand. But IMO you can't call it a particular dish just because you use somewhat similar ingredients. Especially when it sounds like they took a pulled pork sandwich and called it something else.

12. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    FYP

soccernutter and roby repped this.
  13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm with the commentator who locates this whole issue firmly in the tradition of kids complaining about cafeteria food.

And as far as I'm concerned, the issue of mis-appropriation would be a non issue if the result was good food. In which case, it would be called "fusion."

russ and Gamecock14 repped this.
  14. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    #65 Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    Saw a new restaurant under construction near me. Was hoping for a Chick Fil A or even Panera. On a stack of plywood was spray painted "TACO BELL." I almost retched. :sick:

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut the front door!

crazypete13 and roby repped this.
  17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In what world is Chick Fil-A a level above Taco Bell? First, they put breast meat on a sandwich. Breasts are too dry to use for anything but chicken salad (I never got why they make everything out of breasts but chicken salad. It's why I never buy chicken fingers or chicken whatevers). A decent chicken sandwich place would use thigh or leg meat and offer add-ons- mushrooms, onions, lettuce, tomatoes, maybe a couple different types of bun, that sort of thing. A dry filet with one dill slice on what amounts to the ends of a loaf of white bread does not a great sandwich make.

song219 and crazypete13 repped this.
  18. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Your in Atlanta, what about the Varsity?

19. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    I never got the Chick Fil-A cult either. Yeah, the breaded chicken sandwich is pretty decent but so what?

Their fries are the true stand outs. One or two items in an entire menu shouldn't be enough, IMO

20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm in Alabama. You're reading my club affiliation. I've lived in ATL twice before, about ten years all told.

The Varsity is good for people under 25 attending GaTech who have no way to get to anywhere else, but I wouldn't eat there on the regular.

I don't think it's even decent, primarily because of the breast. I can make a better sandwich at home than Chik Fil-A. I mean, Taco Bell isn't anything to write home about, either, but I don't get how anyone could want a CF-A but be disappointed to see a TB.

I don't remember the last time I had any of their fries.

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Besides they are closed on a day of the week I'd be more likely to buy their food if I was so inclined.

soccernutter repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    1st off, Taco Bell is barely fit to serve to my dogs. Probably has less nutrition than my dogs' food too.

And there's lots of stuff I make better at home. But that's the point of takeout innit?

I'm surprised all y'all don't like CFA since every time I'm inland South if I can't find good BBQ I nearly starve. Still haven't figured out pizza after 100+ years and you can shove grits straight up your asses.

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Okay, we agree that TB isn't all that. But I don't care for CFA any more than I do for Taco Bell, and you seem to like CFA. I'm the one with the burning question.

I'm just gonna leave that^^ out there for the forum to see.

Anyways, a bunch of people in a bunch of US cities love CFA because they're copfellators. If you can't find good BBQ inland South, you're not looking, or you have a skewed idea of what good BBQ is.

Spare me. Some tomato sauce dumped on dough with cheese and a few leaves of spinach isn't a pizza, even if it's made by a guy named Giuseppe who's never been outside the Five Boroughs. I don't care how the Italians do it, and neither should you, fellow American.

Grits are a base that goes well with anything you want to put in it. Also goes great with butter and brown sugar (that's how I eat them, as an upgrade to Cream of Wheat). Surprised NYCers haven't stolen it like they did Italian food and tried to pass it of as theirs.

24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might as well stop saying this. We all know that you think any pizza made outside of the NYC (area) is shit. Further, when it comes to food, you are also very, very provincial.

They are also supporters of anti-abortion/pro-Christianity groups.

:confused:

Grits are horrible. As far as I've gathered, it has to be an acquired taste.

fatbastard repped this.
  25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I did't know that, but I'm not surprised.

Yeah, you acquire them with a spoon and taste them when you put said spoon in your mouth :D

[​IMG]
    They don't have enough of a taste on their own, unseasoned, for anybody to love or hate them! Again, they're a base. If you dislike grits or white rice or pasta, it's because of what IN the grits, rice or pasta.

song219 and soccernutter repped this.