Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I haven't watched it in years, precisely because of the reason I just stated.

sitruc repped this.
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny part is that the old shit is probably the most non political correct shit, and people find that the funniest (going by the posts above).

stanger and VFish repped this.
  3. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    And ironically Apu was part of The Simpsons' golden age. It only took 28 years for him to become offensive.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well offensive caricatures of black people were funny for many years until people started paying attentions to complains from black people.

soccernutter and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    [​IMG]

sitruc repped this.
  6. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Your first name is Thatcher? Or is it McPat?

7. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Along with 2 Broke Girls which has worst stereotypes and is even less believible. Most realistic thing on that so Mademoiselle Dennings Chesticles!

sitruc repped this.
  8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally, I refer to The Big Bang Theory as a nerd minstrel show, but this seems a little inappropriate at the moment considering that we’re currently discussing actual minstrelry.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the point is necessarily to get the conviction, but to put the message out there that:
    A - The Sheriff is not the authority on said charges
    B - Just because you claim it is self-defense, does not mean you won't have spend money defending yourself. and you might even go to prison.

Deadtigers and Smurfquake repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Besides the ridiculous racism that was just the dumbest cartoon ever. What was the point?

Deadtigers repped this.
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the point is that light skinned black people are better than dark skinned black people.

Deadtigers repped this.
  12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Is Fuller House still in production for Netflix? I have that as the most lowkey racist, shitty show currently on.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Oh you can still find them, ever seen "Black Jeopardy" on SNL? Or Al Shaprton's show on MSNBC?

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes because you think they are the same, got it.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Well if you think that extremely offensive 40s cartoon is the same as The Simpsons I think it fair that I can point out the only reason NBC puts Al Sharpton on the air is he is caricature.

16. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    No, you (purposely) don't get it.

Smithers is decidedly non-stereotypically gay. That's the damn point of his character. He sounds and acts like a square heterosexual, but the writers always throwing slight hints and suggestions of his homosexuality.

And no, people of color don't need to be erased, they simply don't need to be ridiculed for their speech, color, or actions. To people like you it seems like doing is means erasing them because you cannot fathom showing a person of color without ridicule.

But trust me, it can be done.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Apu isn't ridiculed on The Simpsons (other than ridiculous the stereotypes which is a feature and not a bug), he is a rather sympathetic and likable character. Since ceezmad ignored the subject and because both SNL and The Simpsons have had lengthy runs, I'll ask you: Do you find the depiction of African-Americans by the SNL writers in the "Black Jeopardy!" skits offensive? They are certainly funny, not something you can say about most of SNL of late, but they do play on negative stereotypes.

18. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To put it bluntly, no you can't. It is of poor taste, hurtful and often racially offensive.

19. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    LOL! That would preclude half this board from posting. You guys are so blind to your own biases and prejudices, yet so quick to point out everyone else's faults.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    A small example. We grew up with Polish jokes. It was juvenile but it was a"thing" for many years. My kids don't hear them today. To me that's progress.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I remember that. I never did know what happened to make people pick on them to begin with, and how that fit into American culture.

EDIT: I know that they might have been an oppressed subculture someplace like Chicago or NYC, but the jokes were national.

22. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am proud of you. Yet if I had to guess you've never been south of the Mason-Dixon, but you think nothing of labeling the entire South with comic book caricatures. I mock New Jersey, but I have actually spent a good deal of time there so it is in good fun, but your bigots are some of the nations worst. Just sayin'.

23. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    When I was in grad school and teaching in Chicago, the Poles, esp. the recent immigrants, were smart a.f. Made me also wonder where those jokes came from. I knew those jokes from when I was a kid, but when I met actual Poles, I was like, "who the ******** were we to make fun of these people?"

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why do Norwegians tell jokes about the Swedes and Danes?

25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Why do the Danes and Swedes tell jokes about Norwegians?