Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Correct - some racial humor is taboo. When The Simpsons heard years ago that Indians were being harassed with "thank you, come again" they should've considered retiring Apu. I bet he was a money maker tho.

Hari goes into it here

I first saw Apu when I was, probably, 9 or 10. It was during the first season, I think. I was a Simpsons fan; I was excited about it. The idea of having a cartoon on primetime as a kid was exciting. And seeing Apu, it actually was really great initially because it was like, “Oh my god, we went from not existing at all to being represented in some way.”

When you have nothing, you’ll settle for anything and that’s exactly the position I felt. I was excited, I felt the accent was funny and that was that – there wasn’t much thought about it. I think probably between fifth- and seventh-grade, you realized this isn’t just a cartoon character but it’s kind of being wielded as a weapon because there’s no other representation of brown people, and specifically, South Asian: we’d be called “Apu,” our parents would be mocked, I was worried about my parents talking, I was worried about their accents. That’s kind of when you started to see it was a problem. Over the course of time – especially when you’re a teenager and you’re already vulnerable and thinking about identity – you realize either nobody sees you or when they see you, they see you in this way: as a punchline, as not a full person. There’s also a sense of who has power and who doesn’t and race is a part of that. Apu certainly didn’t make my life easier.

http://bedfordandbowery.com/2017/11...olu-explores-the-problem-with-apu-in-new-doc/

It's easy for you to dismiss it because you didn't live it like he did. Just like me or any other white guy doesn't really know what it's like to be black in America.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    This is also why Rowan Atkinson coming to Boris Johnson's defense in relation to his "Burka Joke" is an example of someone monumentally missing the point, even if his intentions might have been more honorable.

3. Dulliwhig

Dulliwhig Member+

Nov 12, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My neighbors next door - we used to refer to them as 'the perfect family' as a jibe. Their kids were mocked relentlessly because of how Christian they were. They got tormented with the Flanders okily dokily hidily doodilly talk. In fact, I remember a number of kids getting this treatment.

Native English speakers make fun of every accent and even make fun of the various regional American accents.

Austin Powers used a British accent and awful teeth to mock them, but that's fine because Brits are in a position of power.

Maybe we should not be allowed to mimic the Borat vernacular because Kazakstan is an economically depressed country and they are majority Muslim.

Larry the Cable Guy appropriated the Southern accent and mocked hillbillies and rednecks. You don't think kids who moved from the south were mocked because of the things he said? Or would this not count because they are not an ethnic or religious minority. A counterargument could be made that they should be immune to mockery because of the extreme poverty that many whites face in the rural South. Nevermind, they are white, so mock away.

It's not that people can't accept that Apu labeled people and contributed to stigmas, but this happens to literally every group of people and policing of what we are allowed to say is dangerous, especially when it is decided that only certain groups are allowed to say certain things and only certain groups are allowed to be targeted as the butt of jokes.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forget in the episode of the election of the 2 allies, was the doctor a Republican (rich) or a Democrat (black)?

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Doesn't Apu have like 10 kids too?

6. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He has octuplets. Is that offensive too?

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Possible. OK.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Investigated as a "possible hate crime," eh? Yeah maybe. You think?

Deadtigers repped this.
  9. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allowed? The producers of the Simpsons are not going to be *prevented* from mocking south Asians via Apu. And anyone can still say whatever they want about dark-skinned people. Campaigns like these are simply to indicate "go ahead, but lots of folks are going to think you're a dick for doing it, and they're going to say so with their feet and their wallets."

sitruc, soccernutter and crazypete13 repped this.
  10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And petitions.

https://www.change.org/p/fox-broadc...simpsons-a224c10f-4dee-4d4b-bef2-25c70d2f362f

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You pretty much just described ME, you moron... but don't let that stop you from stereotyping

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This right here was your high point.

russ repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And?

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Don't admit to that.

15. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Oh brother. So now Matt Groenging not only has to write Apu off his sitcom, but the PC police want the entire show canceled. And after you get the "The Simpsons" shitcanned perhaps you can focus on "The Big Bang Theory" and its stereotyping of Raj. Obviously it also needs to be taken off the air too.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The petition seems to have gathered 22 signatures after four months.

Well, 23 now that Seymour Butz has added his name.

17. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    [​IMG]

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The Big Bang Theory needs to be taken off the air solely for being a godawful show. Any other reason is throwing gasoline on that fire.

19. I like that Texan nerd:D

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Haha. Foster Whittaker the 23rd?

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Do they still use a laugh track? That did me in when I tried to watch it.

Deadtigers and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I never got that show either. The Office is on Comedy Central often so I put that on for some yuks.

23. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    *Whispers* The Simpsons hasn't been good for ages and at this point it's almost depressing to watch the zombified inferior version of a once truly great show. At its peak, there was nothing better on TV.

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well...

the-larry-sanders-show.jpg

Dr. Wankler and Belgian guy repped this.
  25. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    So don't watch then. Even if The Simpsons is a mere shadow of what it once was that still makes it a great show.