Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've seen my picture, I'm Wisconsin sexy as all getup.

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  2. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Dunno, hockey fans tend to skew conservative/right in the US - so this kinda fits the current situation. Joel Ward had a similar experience with hecklers in Boston.

Up here it’s too popular to be skewed that much one way or the other. That said Wayne Simmonds had bananas thrown at him in London ON, and Don Cherry was using his bully pulpit to say ignorant things about global warming just a couple weeks ago.

At least Grant Fuhr is getting major props as arguably the greatest goalie of all time - in a black history month spot on national tv broadcasts.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I checked a few Blackhawk Message boards earlier, and they were trending toward a massive rejection of the racist B.S.

Alas, the moron crowd was just sleeping in, and now the posts are generally running about as defensive as the Bruins boards did when their fans went after Suppan awhile back, with several going on the offensive with vigorous pro-Trump messages.

4. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It can't possibly be the same Don Cherry that we all know and love! :whistling:

crazypete13 repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hate that he never played for the Habs.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I love that he played for the Leafs.

Dr. Wankler and Auriaprottu repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    ??? When was that. Aaaah...I wasn't thinking you meant Fuhr. :oops:

8. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    For ~18 months between 91-93, it was a huge deal for me at the time, I remember being super excited for that and the Gilmour deal that revitalized the Leafs that season.

9. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Yeah, but in your prior post I thought you were referring to Don Cherry. His NHL record speaks for it's self! :eek:
    1954–55
    Boston Bruins
    Reg Season ..... Games Played - 0
    Playoffs ............ Games played - 1 [zero stats]

The Leafs could have gotten him on the cheap. :coffee:

10. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate everybody who ever plays for the Leafs. Of course, that is just a hold over from the Tie Domi era.

crazypete13 repped this.
  12. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Nope

[​IMG]

roby, crazypete13, Auriaprottu and 2 others repped this.
  13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Black Panther sets off not only the overt racists, like Shapiro, but also the hidden ones. Neither of my son's two roommates are planning to watch it, although they watch every comic-book movie, even the terrible ones like Batman vs. Superman. He was already pissed at them, that sent him over the top. ;)

Auriaprottu and rslfanboy repped this.
  14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m probably not gonna see Black Panther, even though I’ve been told that it’s a really great movie. It’s just that I don’t really go to the movies that often — my one trip to the movies in the last year was for Get Out — and when I do, I don’t do superhero movies. I haven’t seen a single Marvel movie, and I think the last superhero movie I saw was the second Christian Bale Batman movie.

But it amuses me beyond all belief that some dipshits on the right are losing their minds over this movie.

15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I haven't watched any superhero films- I generally prefer my superheroes and cartoon characters left in comic book/cartoon form, which is why I haven't seen The Grinch or The Flintstones or the CG Peanuts stuff. I plan to go, but later. I don't want to be part of the See and be seen bunch, which is why I haven't seen anything the first night in decades.

Hadn't heard of Shapiro until this. If there's a Hell, there's a special place in it for people from oppressed groups who bash even more oppressed groups. Kellyanne Conway, this woman who just told LBJ to shut up and dribble, Phyllis Schlafly, Sarah Palin...

Your son and his roomies will probably make up and get along by agreeing to disagree. Don't look for him to shun them from this day forward.

soccernutter and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Who's saying that? Grant was a very good G but I have these 3 below ahead of him (I've seen each one ranked #1 depending on the poll) plus Ken Dryden, Hall, Sawchuk, Plante, Tretiak & Billy Smith.

download.jpeg

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  17. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is someone in a place of any importance actually saying things like this, as Shapiro claims?

{Shapiro} continued sarcastically, “This is the most important moment in black American history, not Martin Luther King, not Frederick Douglass, not the Civil War, not the end of Jim Crow, none of that, not Brown vs. Board—the most important thing is that Chadwick Boseman puts claws on his hands and a mask on his face and runs around jumping off cars in CGI fashion—deeply, deeply important. Black children everywhere will now believe that they too can be superheroes who jump off cars in fictional countries.”

If so, then the proper response would be, "hey, man, it's just a movie."

But since no one is saying anything like this, a legitimate response to Shapiro would be a question like, "why does it bother you that black people are getting attention?" Or, "WTF is wrong with you?"

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Took the boy & some friends to it last nite. I'm not a superhero movie guy whatsoever but even I liked it. But at the same time I thought "98% of the time there's black people up onscreen and this might not play too well in some parts of 'Merica" Lupita was in it so that makes any movie better. :thumbsup:

raza_rebel repped this.
  19. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Tie was a PIA for sure if he wasn't on your team. But I gotta admit I can't really fault him for cold-cocking maybe the biggest pest of his era:

russ repped this.
  20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Reading up on this clown, it seems he got a pass on his wingnut hate for many years until he came out against Trump in 2016. And then, surprise! the Trump Klanners starting calling him anti-semitic & bigoted stuff. Now he's a victim of the alt-right!

Auriaprottu repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey....what about Gump. Of course this pic was taken before masks prevented the puck from smacking one between the eyes! :eek:

[​IMG]

22. The Dutch fishing village Urk (also know for where "Dunkirk" was shot) decided to honour mass murderers for their contribution to Dutch society, as a "stance" to socalled leftish actions against statues of those people.
    One of the is JP Coen, the mass murderer/ genocidal leader of the killing of the population of an island not willing to submit themselves to the monopolistic behaviour of the Dutch VOC, the first multinational and first company with sharehoulders in the world. He wiped out 96% of the Island Banda in the Moluccan region. Around 600 of the 15000 inhabitands survived and were deported.

"De genocide van Banda

December 1607 vertrok het VOC schip De Hoorn met een vloot van dertien schepen naar de Banda-eilanden, op dit schip werkte Jan Pieterszoon Coen (bekend geworden door zijn meedogenloze handelswijze met de bijnaam Slachter van Banda) als onderkoopman.

De plaatselijke Molukse bevolking (de Bandanezen), die van Melanesische afkomst was, werden gedwongen om alleen de VOC van de specerijen te voorzien. Doordat na herhaalde pogingen zij niet met een monopolie instemden, leidde dit tot een oorlog met de Nederlanders. De Bandanezen vermoordden de admiraal Pieter Willemszoon Verhoeff en 42 bemanningsleden.

In 1621 nam Jan Pieterszoon Coen als opperkoopman en commandeur wraak met een leger van duizend man. Ook Japanse Samurai beulen werden ingehuurd door de VOC om de Bandanezen uit te moorden. Naar schatting overleefden slechts zeshonderd van de 15.000 Bandanezen de aanval, en werden na de massaslachting Indiërs en Javaanse slaven geïmporteerd naar de eilanden.

Na een relatief rustige periode brak er in 1651 in het noorden van de Molukken opnieuw een opstand uit tegen het Nederlandse gezag. De vorsten kregen hierdoor op hun beurt het monopolie op de handel in het gebied waarover zij heersten.
    "

I wonder what these imbecils would think if Germans were going to name streets after the murderers Seyß-Inquart etc. ruling the Netherlands to honour them for their contribution to Germany.
    This village is part of our bible belt and the whole council with also the Christan Democrats CDA from the current gouvernment voting for it. At the same time they take part to memorials of the Armenian Genocide in protest of denial of the Turks of it.
    Hipocrits or ...

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dutch bible belters are globalists, without knowing it. They would fit in great in Oklahoma.

24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Hey, Gump Worsley, AKA "The Narcoleptic North Star."

25. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Comes across as a terrorist group with terrorist training camps who are actively radicalizing and recruiting individuals online. Not a lawyer, but rounding up and investigating all of these guys does not sound crazy.

Dr. Wankler and Auriaprottu repped this.