Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Sounds like the kinda place browns, Hindus, Jews & mooslims would feel quite homey in. At the top of Michigan's mitten.

(Wiki)

In 1947 the by-laws were revised to add "Any person twenty-one years of age and good moral character, by a two-thirds vote of the Board of Trustees, may be accepted as a member of this Association provided that he or she is of the Caucasian race and of Christian persuasion." The two provisions Caucasian requirements were removed in 1959.

From the 1960s through to the 1980s there was a quota on how many Catholics were allowed to be members. Membership of Catholics was not to exceed 10% of the total membership. Once the quota was met additional Catholics applicants were rejected. This quota requirement was abandoned in the 1980's.

On August 6, 2011, the Bay View Association members voted on a proposal that would remove the Christian affiliation requirement. The proposal was defeated by a vote of 52% (381 members) opposed to 48% (346 members) in favor of the proposal. The proposal needed a two thirds majority to pass.

On August 3, 2013, another vote was taken to change the membership qualification requirements to include non-Christians. The proposal was again defeated by a vote of 51.85% (364 members) for the change to 48.14% (338 members) opposed to the change. A two-thirds majority is required to pass the amendment.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I've been through that town, maybe 20 years sgo. I tagged along with my wife to a conference in Traverse City, Michigan. Had a great time, even saw Gordie Howe, who'd retired there and opened a restaurant. The other highlights included renting a bicycle and riding it 25 miles west to Lake Michigan and back, and a drive north through Bayview to the U.P. It's actually a strikingly attractive town, externally at least. There's quite a bit of money in that part of the state.

The lowlight, though, were posters I'd see on poles walking around the town recruiting for militias, Klan-type organizations, etc. There was an ugly undercurrent there. And this was AFTER McVeigh.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Upper Michigan - come all ye Christian soldiers, stay for RAHOWA.

Auriaprottu and song219 repped this.
  4. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is pretty. Sleeping Bear Dunes is really nice. I'm reminded of the rep Coeur d'Alene has, or had -- bigots have done a great job of settling/concentrating in some of the prettiest places in the U.S.

Ismitje repped this.
  5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Richard Spencer
    God created that beauty for the enjoyment of his most epic creation-the Aryan.
    /Richard Spencer

6. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Not White = Immigrant
    963178794952556544 is not a valid tweet id

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FTFY. Subtle diff, but significant IMO

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Apparently, Sessions was off script: Snopes cites the prepared text...

https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/12/sessions-sheriffs-anglo-american-heritage/

I want to close by reiterating my deep appreciation and profound thanks to all the women and men of law enforcement — federal, state, local, and tribal. I want to thank every sheriff in America.

Since our founding, the independently elected Sheriff has been seen as the people’s protector, who keeps law enforcement close to and amenable to the people. The Sheriff is a critical part of our legal heritage.​

Not really objecting to that, though of course in Dixie "the people" were the ones who looked like Sessions, not descendents of slaves.

What he actually said...

I want to close by reiterating my deep appreciation and profound thanks to the men and women of law enforcement […] and I want to thank every sheriff in America. Since our founding, the independently elected Sheriff has been the people’s protector, who keeps law enforcement close to and accountable to people through the elected process.

The office of Sheriff is a critical part of the Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement, we must never erode this historic office, I know this, you know this, we want to be partners, we don’t want to be bosses, we want to strengthen you and make you be more effective in your work.​

His office is claiming that of course it is a reference to the Common Law, which of course we inherited and adapted straight from England, but given that it's Sessions it's hard not to hear, "critical part of the Anglo-American {cough} white power {cough} heritage of law enforcement..."

Auriaprottu repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Never knew how insane WI pols are. I assumed they were MN nice too.

Twitter has permanently banned the account of a GOP congressional candidate after he posted a racist picture targeting soon-to-be royal bride Meghan Markle.

On Friday, Wisconsin Republican Paul Nehlen tweeted an image of Markle with Prince Harry that superimposed a picture of “Cheddar Man” onto Markle’s face, according to Newsweek. Cheddar Man is the oldest complete skeleton found in Britain and new DNA analysis suggests he had dark skin and dark, curly hair.

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5a81c9c3e4b08dfc930694cc?utm_hp_ref=meghan-markle

11. The good thing about the Trvmp era is that the racists come out in the open, so we now know who we're dealing with. For them there's no going back. The internet doesnot forget. They seem to be so stupid to think there willnot be a reverse of the tide. Someone should collect all the racist burps of people so the hunt can begin when the tide is ready.

raza_rebel and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Wisconsin is Minnesota's twisted sister. You don't want to date Wisconsin.

13. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Reported.

russ and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Now I don't even wanna drive through it. And NJ gets a bad rap!

russ repped this.
  15. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Does this include the Sheriff of Nottingham?​

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  16. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Denied!

HAIL GRIMES!!!

rslfanboy and russ repped this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Sheriff don't like it.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some Sharifs do

omar-sharif-women.jpg

19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    I shot the Sheriff but I didn't shoot no Deputy!
    But....but it was in self defense :cry:

russ repped this.
  20. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Sherrif Fatman started out his business as a granny farmer

21. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    New York Times continuing to knock it out the ********ing park with their recent hires

513088706807627776 is not a valid tweet id

22. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Fired after 7 hours. Should of been less forward about her racism or just stuck to anti-Arab racism, that gets you a seven figure salary at the times.

JohnR and Auriaprottu repped this.
  23. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Some Blackhawks fans taunt Devante Smith Pelly with "basketball, basketball, basektball" chants while in the penalty box. Devante was a former NJ Devil and a nice guy so this has to sting for him.

In the clip, Smith-Pelly appears to alert the penalty box attendants about what’s happening beside him. Then he walks to the glass with his stick pointed towards a fan on the other end. DSP and the fans have a heated conversation before ushers removed him and three othersfrom United Center.

After the game, The Washington Post’s Isabelle Khurshudyan reported that the fans were chanting “basketball, basketball, basketball” to DSP.

The “basketball” taunt has an obvious racist connotation. This was a white hockey fan in Chicago telling one of the few black hockey players in the league that he’s in the wrong sport. The implication is that hockey is a sport for white people, and maybe Smith-Pelly should be playing basketball, a sport for black people, instead. That’s wrong and hateful.

Later, Barry Trotz told media that “there’s absolutely no place in this game of hockey or our country for racism. I think it’s disgusting.”

https://www.russianmachineneverbrea...-racially-charged-taunts-devante-smith-pelly/

24. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Poetic license" = hamfisted attempt to highlight "immigrant" achievement at the expense of being an idiot.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Blackhawk fans ... sigh. I suppose I could say that about all NHL teams, but this is only one that we have.

crazypete13 repped this.