Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the VFDs I was familiar with, he still wouldn't have been paid -- nobody was -- but obviously they're not required to be the same way, so maybe it's different with this one and their chief or senior officers are paid.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Oakleys and a graying goatee have to be the official facewear of far-right conservatives. 90% of the time in stories like this it's the same mug.

Anyway, with Jerry freakin Jones joining in the kneeling, some things need to be cleared up. Dave Zirin (easily the best sports writer out there) explains brilliantly here:

Taking a Knee Is Not About Abstract Unity but Racial Justice
    As NFL owners join these protests, it’s critical to not let Colin Kaepernick’s message get lost.

https://www.thenation.com/article/taking-a-knee-is-not-about-abstract-unity-but-racial-justice/

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wha? Hold up, now...

I said last night when this came across my fb feed that it amounted to nothing but appropriation. This is why I said people need to be moving and doing things while that music is playing. Standing in place is sort of like standing at attention. Movement and activity says "I won't acknowledge you people's customs until you people start caring about my survival".

Dominican Lou repped this.
  5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Surely, isn't the point about these sorts of protests that they're just a start to the conversation, not the end. They raise an issue but people need to be explaining precisely why they're doing it and on what basis. IIRC Kapernick has explained, in broad terms, why he started doing it but, obviously, as more people do it they may have their own reasons.

Overall they can do a great deal of good but they're just part of the process.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gotta give the right its due. There ain't nobody that can cry and whine and complain and mew like the American right. And sure enough, this time too, it co-opts somebody else's problem, so that per its telling of the story, this protest is how people don't love America like the right does.

Trump is the perfect President for a group that can't look away from the mirror, while shedding tears of self-pity.

7. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    Trump is fine but I've feelings for ms Clinton also. :p

8. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    So....yeah...this happened ....again...in less than a year.

912889336655380481 is not a valid tweet id

9. SwedishBorn

SwedishBorn Red Card

Manchester United
    Sep 20, 2017
    I telling true every racist American need 1 Sports rest are ruttel of interest.

:thumbsdown:

Selfy I like ice hockey and soccer almost across world's Sports. o_O

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That rhetorical question is kind of stupid. Racists are everywhere.

If you think you're safe, watch School Daze.

11. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Where would someone in DC get bolls of cotton? Don't see them at my local Lowe's garden center.

12. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hobby Lobby.

13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    2 black TX football players thrown off a Christian HS football team for silent protests during the anthem:

Two high school football players in Texas were kicked off their team for protesting during the national anthem Friday.

Cedric Ingram-Lewis raised a fist while his cousin, Larry McCullough, kneeled during the national anthem.

The cousins, both students at Victory & Praise Christian Academy, said that after the anthem ended, their coach, Ronnie Mitchem, told them to remove their uniforms because they were being kicked off the team, the Houston Chroniclereported.

“He told us that disrespect will not be tolerated,” Ingram-Lewis told the Chronicle, adding that right after the anthem ended, Mitchem “told us to take off our uniform and leave it there.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...otball-team-kneeling-anthem-article-1.3533085

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Cutler still quarterbacking terribly. Tweet of day:

In Jay Cutler's defense, he tried to retire.

superdave and russ repped this.
  15. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Note to kids: In your next life, try to avoid attending a White Christian school

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    It's bad enough they have an ex-Marine coach who probably makes them iron their jock straps and stand at attention on the sidelines. But they've got Southern Christian indoctrination to boot. They'll need some massive deprogramming down the line.

17. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost attended. The only reason I did not was because of a housing question I did not get answered.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  18. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Everyone knows that at these Christian madrasas is where radicalization begins.

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why School Daze? It's been years since I saw it, but I don't recall anything specific. Are you sure you aren't talking about Jungle Fever (which took place in New York or some other Northeastern city)?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the themes of School Daze was racism within the black community. Light-skinned vs. dark-skinned.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, yeah, I knew thaaaat...
    It IS racism-based, and it is everywhere. But recommending a film where Black people internalize racist standards of beauty they had no hand in creating and use them against one another isn't the best call. In SD, the creator of those standards is nowhere to be found, so it's possible that a naive watcher might mistakenly blame the students themselves. Jungle Fever is about racism, period, and the culprits are clearly identified.

22. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Does Spike still make movies?

23. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I don't know. I still haven't seen anything but School Daze, Malcolm X, Four Little Girls and Jungle Fever

24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You never saw She's Gotta Have It? I'm so cool I saw that before he made DTRT. ;)

IIRC, the girl in that movie is the same girl from Tone Loc's Wild Thing video.

The movie with Edward Norton (25 Hours?) is fantastic.

Dominican Lou and charlie15 repped this.
  25. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000490/

Features, a lot more documentaries and shorts than I thought. And ....
    She's Got To Have It is soon to be a series premiering (somewhere) in November.

I haven't seen anything since When The Levees Broke, which is ********ing great.