Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I thought it was bastard, as in "scores goals"

2. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Re: Lukaku, a few years ago when he was on loan to West Brom they had a chant htat went,

"He comes from Stamford Bridge, he's big as a ********ing fridge!"

Short, clever, and funny.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One of my old labour party mates always said that was one of the stereotypes he wasn't that upset about :D

I think it's one of those things, as you've said, where context is everything. You can say something whereas I can't... end of!

4. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I knew a litigator who primarily works real estate, but he's against the death penalty so he'd get called by judges to take those cases.

He told be about one case that was a real piece of work. It was a DV situation where the man engaged in a car chase with the victim, who stopped at a convenience store because she thought she'd be safe with witnesses, apparently. The man killed her there, and the whole thing was caught by the video cameras there. The man wanted to plead NG, and his lawyer was like, it's on video. Are you going to argue it was your evil twin?

The man was convicted and got the DP. He was given the choice of lethal injection or gas. (This was a long time ago.) He asked my friend, if I choose gas, is there any way the glass might break and I could take some other bastards with me?

As a moral issue, I'm against the DP. But that's about the most DP worthy person I've heard of.
    See, if it was 8 inches or 10 inches or even 12 inches, that would be racist. 24 inches is just ludicrous.

Racist, too. But mostly ludicrous.
    OK, I'm not as worked up about this one. At least the girl on the left. Y'all realize the opponent was Spanish Fort High, right? It isn't a school with a large Hispanic population, it's a school with Spanish in the name.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Like how this one's in the Sport section

sunday-sport-headline-sex-with-tesco-value-lasagne-blistered-my-bellend.png

6. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since I don't feel like digging for the education thread, this can go here...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/20/...t&contentID=WhatsNext&src=recg&pgtype=article

South Carolina 5th Graders Are Asked to Explain K.K.K.’s Thinking

You are a member of the K.K.K.,” the fifth-grade homework assignment read. “Why do you think your treatment of African-Americans is justified?”

The work sheet, given on Thursday as part of a lesson on the Reconstruction period, caused an outcry after one student’s uncle, Tremain Cooper, posted a photo of the assignment on Facebook.​

Brilliant!

Katrina Goggins, a spokeswoman for the Lexington-Richland School District Five, which includes Oak Pointe, said the teacher had been placed on administrative leave while an investigation proceeds. She did not clarify whether the leave was paid or unpaid, writing in an email, “This is an ongoing investigation and a personnel matter, so we are limited on the details we can/will provide.”

In a statement provided by Ms. Goggins, the school district said: “South Carolina standards for fifth grade require lessons on Reconstruction and discriminatory groups, including the K.K.K. We must teach the standard, but we are taking steps to ensure this particular assignment will never be used again in District Five schools.”

chaski repped this.
  7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Many fine people on both sides...both sides.

NORML, song219 and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  8. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Exactly.

I got a feeling the ones that are most eager and happy to harp on the more, um, flattering stereotypes when things are going well, are also the quickest to turn to the negative ones when things go sour.

soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    100% this. I'm interested in how they do, now, also since Man U didn't want Mourinho at all but couldn't run from him anymore. I never did get what that was about. If he wins the prem with Man U, he'll have won titles with two different clubs in a big three league, at least one title in each of Europe's big three, and a treble.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  10. Pro-Freedom

Pro-Freedom Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Sudžuka

Sudžuka Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 27, 2013
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    These media heads are becoming like wrestlers... they're gonna turn heel at some point in their careers.

14. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This......
    [​IMG]
    ....has no relation to this....
    [​IMG]

But some think it does for some reason. :confused:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...s-petition-to-change-clan-team-name-1.4303942

soccernutter and Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    From the same school of American thought that thinks 'Africa' is a country and that everybody in Europe knows each other... you're just a farty little foreign person and aren't entitled to any history or heritage of your own. If you ain't 'murican, you ain't shit!

Having said that if they play mainly against American teams that makes a difference I suppose.

Still, a bit sad, isn't it.

Didn't bill gates try and patent the word 'windows' a few years back for his 'so-called' operating system which, IMO, is more of a virus with a graphical user interface :D

16. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can completely see how these guys got appointed. Roof has the right to an attorney, period. He is not in the position to call any shots unless he wants to pay for it himself, which he isn't. So he can go fvck off. And I'm no attorney either, but my understanding is they get major reputation points for doing just this thing -- being the lawyer who is asked to defend the indefensible. It's the opposite of being the slimey motorcycle-wreck lawyer. If I was the judge, I'd get Roof a dog for a lawyer before he'd have a white one.

Auriaprottu and russ repped this.
  17. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of kids can be stupid in spite of their parents. I know I was.

NORML repped this.
  18. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He coached in the Bundesliga?

superdave and Bootsy Collins repped this.
  19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Not that I know of. AFAIK, UEFA's big three are generally considered to be Italy, Spain and England, not Italy, Spain and Germany.

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
  21. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or rather, Spain, Germany and England. Serie A is in decline.

russ repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TBH they change from time to time.

23. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    England, Spain and Italy have traditionally been the Big Three. Germany are a bunch of Johnny come latelys.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  24. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says who?

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator