Racism...Forever?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by soccernutter, Dec 31, 2015.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VincitOmniaVeritas

Jul 18, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I hope telling them to "fuk off" was worth four years of the Donald.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Well, but the alternative is rather like negotiating with terrorists, isn't it?

Some three year olds just have to be allowed to break everything in sight in order to learn why they shouldn't...

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Like they were going to vote any differently then... And even now, not so many...

Some people never outgrows those toddler years. Some people goes back to their toddler years when they're older. Some never learn not to break everything in sight.

Deadtigers and Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would add on that not only do minorities experience racial discrimination, but there is a history of legal racial discrimination minorities experienced, which even if Whites did experience "equal" discrimination in today's language, it is still not equal due to lack of history the Whites have being discriminated against.

Deadtigers, Dominican Lou and russ repped this.
  5. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Truth ain't conquering a god damned thing right now, is it? No.

POC: "I can't breathe/sure would be nice to travel to my GF's house without being profiled and goaded into a fight with an armed 'man' "/I'm a veteran- why can't I get my meal like every other veteran?"
    Some voter or another who thinks themselves pragmatic: "Complaining is why you lost the election. Go bleed out where I can't see you and hope your survivors try to find common ground with us next time"

Deadtigers, superdave and song219 repped this.
  6. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Yup.

For there to be some sort of equilibrium, we would truly need to live in another dimension where either Africans or Native Americans or East Asians traveled the world, colonized it, plundered it, invaded Europe and annihilated 90% of its population, enslaved other races purely on racial terms, set up predatory political and economic systems that solely benefited them, cultural systems that taught European/white racial inferiority, etc., etc.

We're so completely far away from that it's pretty mind-boggling. But hey, there's a Negro Scholarship Fund and no Caucasian Scholarship Fund, how in the world is that fair??

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of that, just listened to an On the Media (I always hear it as "Omni Media") about the history of the war on drugs.
    http://www.wnyc.org/story/on-the-media-2017-04-14

Was quite interesting, some of the things I did not know, such as the creation in the 1930s. And that Billie Holiday part pissed me off. Knew of, but did not know why.

8. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Hey!!! What are you implying? I'm sure you weren't referring to me but @NaughtiusMaximus and @usscouse may take offense. :whistling:

9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the Mongols did try.

Deadtigers and chaski repped this.
  10. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Ah yes, the racist history behind drug prohibition.

I only learned these things in grad school but it's still shocking at how SO many things in the US have a profoundly racist background. "The US was built on white supremacy" sounds pretty shocking but when you actually look at the history of things, it's fairly accurate.

Deadtigers, soccernutter and Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Knew about Ms. Holiday. It still creates a pang of concern when I read about it again.

It gets implied here tie and again that the issue somehow lies with the law itself, rather than with the separatist thought processes that compel many individuals to decide to profile, pursue and prosecute some while looking the other way for others.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's becoming clearer why there's such a gorge here between me and the rest of so many of you. You and Lou are two of the most reasonable people in this forum, yet neither of you knew about this until adulthood (him) or today (you). I knew the what and they why of this in middle school, and was told more in a non-major music course at my first ugrad school.

The lives some (most?) of these other folks lead, cloudsurfing without really even knowing what goes on daily all over the country, make it relatively easy to dismissively post "You must have a sad life" in response to posts about experiences with bigotry.

Dominican Lou repped this.
  13. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is probably the first thing I have read that you have posted that I can generally assume is the truth.

14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That seems to imply that ALL white people set up the current political situation and have benefited from it. I can assure you that WAS not and IS not the case.

The vast majority of people in Europe have also lost out due to the policies and actions of the European aristocracy.

It's more accurate to say it's the system and the individuals of THAT that have been the problem.

15. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true in a European sense.The American (North and South) Experience includes the subjugation of indigenous peoples ,forced importation of Africans,and tension between upper and lower class European colonizers which resolved by the invention of "whiteness" as an assurance that the lower class Europeans could maintain a sense of superiority.

16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Well that name sure is. I'd have a DNA test done, son. You might be related to Al B Sure

17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I was talking more in terms of white Europeans, yes.

The number of people in Europe that actively supported or played a part in the slave trade would be tiny, (we had our own version of serfdom and indentured work that achieved similar economic aims), and the number in America and other colonies would be vastly higher, clearly.

But, in general, I just think it's important to concentrate on the political system employed rather than the race, creed, colour or nationality of the 'perpetrators' of a 'crime''.

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    There was an interesting TV show on the BBC a couple of years back about DNA records and it included various members of the public, one of whom was a member of the BNP,

He turned out to have had a black African great, great grandfather They even managed to trace his lineage back in the census record.

He wasn't best please :D

Cascarino's Pizzeria, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  19. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2619 soccernutter, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Just because one does not actively participate in the subjugation of a race which is not their own, does not mean that they are not involved. For instance, many of the channels I have on YouTube are various trance channels. Of course, there are the associated pictures of women on them...all of them are White (multiple channels). While some channels may do this intentionally, others might do it unintentionally. And the viewers who don't think about it night not be intentionally promoting racism, they are doing so by lack of inclusion. (Yes, I understand the hypocrisy, but there is only so much I can do/say before I burn up in anger).

I refer you to my sig, a quote by yourself.

I am not familiar, but were there laws in the UK (not then Empire itself, but within the country) which specifically counted people as being unequal because of race/skin color? Was there a population of non-Whites in which the official policy was to move them "someplace better?" I'm talking on the national level, not regional/local.

20. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's difficult for historically almost entirely white Europe to understand the vital role race played as a way to mediate class discrepancies between Europeans on the American continent.Religion would be the closest European proxy.

Honestly,even the altright recognizes what's occurred.They just are pissed that it's changing.

Naughtius Maximus and crazypete13 repped this.
  21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hang on, we are talking historically, aren't we? That's what I'm talking about.

I mean, obviously, if they weren't actively involved, weren't tangentially involved and had no absolutely no say in it happening, (the poor didn't have a vote over here at that time, don't forget), it kinda does mean they weren't involved.

I suppose we can talk about them 'gaining' but then, as we've discussed before, that's the case where everybody who lives in the west, (of ALL races), have 'gained' from the 'attacks on the muslim world' that ISIS, et al, are complaining about.

It's kinda true I suppose but more in the form of a kind of cosmic karma. I'm not sure that's very helpful or, frankly, very logical.

22. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They might have been pissed in the past, but I think they're elated atm that they've been able to change it back.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... and I don't even think it's arguable. Racism clearly has become more prevalent over the past, say 5-6 years.

As to the reasons why and what can be done about it, that's another matter. But the fact we seem to be going backwards atm... well, yeah! :(

24. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Deadspin always points out the (mostly) old white dudes who insist on (mostly) black & latino players play the game the "right" way. You see this in baseball more than other sports. But here's a case of hockey commentator Mike Milbury (a horrible GM/executive for the Islanders BTW) dogging PK Subban for being too energetic in warmups:

This was, apparently, just too much for NBCSN broadcaster Mike Milbury. His comments over the camera’s view of Subban bopping around, as transcribed by SB Nation:

“He’s got a tremendous personality and sometimes you’ve got to keep it under control. I know it’s a new day and age and everybody wants to be on Instagram or Twitter. But you’ve got to keep focus. This is a tough game. When I see this I start to think maybe (Predators coach) Peter Laviolette ought to give him a rap on the head and say, ‘Hey P.K. focus in, we’ve got a game tonight and you don’t have to be a clown out there.’”

http://deadspin.com/broadcaster-mike-milbury-calls-p-k-subban-a-clown-wh-1794768409

crazypete13 repped this.
  25. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Old school hockey types are brutal for that - screw Milbury.

Dr. Wankler and Q*bert Jones III repped this.