R16 July 3 Colombia v. England [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi everyone,

A friendly reminder: we're all here for the football. With that in mind, we here are taking a zero-tolerance policy towards expressions of racism, sexism, discrimination based on sexual orientation, xenophobia, ad hominem attacks, insults (towards a group of people, countries, or fellow posters) and trolling. Infractions will get you booked - and if you ask where was your warning, this is it. If you see a fellow poster insulting you or a part of your identity (race, sex, nationality, etc.)? Don't respond in kind - REPORT IT. It is the fastest way for us mods to handle the offending posts.

So, with that said, good luck to both sides, and let's enjoy!

The Moderators of Big Soccer

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2 soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    [​IMG]

Colombia

v.

England

[​IMG]

Spartak Stadium, Moscow (capacity: 44,190)

[​IMG]

3. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

My friend, please; it's spelled ColOmbia. Writing with a "U" really bothers Colombians.

Guinho, Phillyspur, Kamtedrejt and 2 others repped this.
  5. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Washington, Distrito de Colombia.

Froboy69 repped this.
  6. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    o_O
    Colombia

7. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Why would that bother people? In Danish, Denmark is Danmark. There is no reason for it to be Denmark in English, but it is. Nobody in Denmark cares, though.

8. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Why? that's a dumb question. The simple answer is because Columbia is NOT the name of the country, not in Spanish and not in English, which is the language of this forum. What's so hard to understand about that? Denmark is the name of the country in English. Columbia is not.

Auriaprottu, TheHitman47 and Guinho repped this.
  9. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Colombia has a real chance to win if they play as well as they did against Poland (which, let's be honest, is a much stronger team than Panama or Tunisia). Quintero, Cuadrado, and James were exceptional in that game. Their only loss came from a match where they played from the start with 10 men after committing a dumb penalty (which Japan converted).

With that said, James is still in doubt. So we'll have to see.

TheHitman47 and Dominican Lou repped this.
  10. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    And the same way Colombia is stronger than Panama and Tunisia, you could also argue Englamd is stronger than the three teams Colombia faced in the group stage.

11. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Well, it may be a "dumb question", as you rather rudely put it, but you didn't answer the question. Why do people care if foreigners spell the name wrong? What difference does it make?

Not to mention that in many languages (German, for example) it is spelled with a u, not an o.

12. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was arguing that Poland (ELO 1783 / #21), which Colombia beat handily, was stronger than Panama (1596 / #61) and Tunisia (1662 / #47), which England beat to qualify.

From what I've seen, I don't dispute that England is significantly stronger than Japan, Poland and Senegal.

My point was that Colombia's best game came against stronger opposition. Beating Panama 6-1 doesn't tell us nearly much about a side's quality as beating Poland 3-0 does.

IMO, based on what I've seen, the kind of performance Colombia had against Poland would give England real trouble—and a real chance to win. I don't think that it would assure a win, though.

13. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    England will bring their main players back on the pitch.
    It will go fast...very fast.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As I said in the Colombian forum the two main things that give me the most confidence is that Colombia is the more experienced team that has been battle tested in tournaments and has a very good manager who has been here before..
    Those things could be the difference. (Or at least I am hoping so.)

15. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #15 BlueDamian, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    I did answer the question. Perhaps you should try reading it again.
    Irrelevant. This is not a German language forum. If it was it would be spelled Kolumbien, and that's fine. But no, this is an English language forum. And in English (just as it is in Spanish) the name is spelled with an "o". And it also happens that in English, when it is spelled with a "u", it means something else. In fact, it is a name for a great many things. Except the name of the country. I hope that's more clear to you.

16. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It would be a shame if James doesn't make it. However, we still have the creativity of Quintero and Cuadrado, with Muriel hopefully accompanying Falcao upfront.

17. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The question that I originally asked (and has yet to be answered IMO), is why it is such a faux pas that it actually "bothers" Colombians. People make mistakes with respect to foreign names all the time. Unless it is an intentional slur (surely not in this case), it just seems too trivial to warrant an admonition. So I'm wondering if Colombians who are bothered by it (probably in the minority if not the overwhelming minority), think it is a indication of a lack of respect for Colombia and Colombians, i.e. a feeling that if foreigners respected Colombia more they would ensure that the name was spelled correctly.

Anyway, that is enough from me on this topic. You can have the last word, if you wish.

18. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that people forget that we faced Poland, they also wanted to win; they allowed spaces because they had the mentality that 3 points were needed in this match and no one was going to settle for a draw. Hence we went for for the win and they were trying for it.

Senegal on the other hand were perfectly fine waiting for us, not in a rush and were content with a draw but went for a goal whenever they had a chance.

How teams play and handle other teams in this world cup reminds me of the different ways of approaching a team can affect the game, and I seriously doubt that England will risk just playing like Senegal; they won't be afraid to attack.

19. BlueDamian

BlueDamian Member+

Jun 7, 2005
    In the shade
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    OK, Dutch boy. If you still don't get why we don't like to be referred to by the wrong name then I can't help you. Better to drop the whole thing.

20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Maradona is on our side...

[​IMG]

21. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If Colombia wins, Maradona is thinking . . . free coffee? :D

22. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Agreed. A fully healthy James makes Colombia a slight favorite, in my opinion. Without him, it'll be real tough.

Poland and Senegal are much, much better than Tunisia and Panama, so Colombia is more used to quality sides this tournament.

23. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Regardless if James plays or not I don't see a favorite in this game.

roverman repped this.
  24. Paul Quack

Paul Quack Member

May 3, 2009
    Club:
    Northampton Town FC
    Colombia will win. I never expect England to win.

HomietheClown repped this.
  25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Fans like you who needs enemies

AT2018 repped this.