R16 July 2 Belgium v. Japan [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Mendel

Mendel Member

Atlanta
    United States
    May 21, 2018
    Very excellent game. I was a bit disheartened when Belgium scored a 3rd goal. I had thought that Japan had more chances at the final goal, even after the score was 2-2.

It just goes to show, matches are played by people on a pitch, not by subjective ranking systems. Yes, Belgium should have won and did, but it was far more interesting to watch this than reading a 70-30 chance to win.

2. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Japan should be proud of their performance

ChicagoKev, F.L.I.P. and Guinho repped this.
  3. Simmer

Simmer Member

Feyenoord
    Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2009
    Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, I just saw an interview with Vertonghen on Dutch TV and he said that it was a lucky goal. He tried to head the ball back in the box but the spin made it go in.

soccernutter, Kamtedrejt, Guinho and 2 others repped this.
  4. leao1918

leao1918 Member

Fortaleza EC
    Brazil
    Jun 17, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    OMG, what a match... devastating loss for Japan. I was watching it with my girlfriend and she is half-japanese. We were in awe when Japan was leading 2-0. We never realistic expected a Brazil-Japan Quarter Final and it was only minutes from happening. Belgium with a HUGE comeback, I bet this win will skyrocket their confidence.

On the bright side, what a day to set up Brazil-Belgium. Belgium showed a pretty weak defensive left side today, if Marcelo starts on Friday I see good things for Brazil. Also, Miranda and T. Silva must be onpoint to hold those huge belgians on crossed balls.

Guinho repped this.
  5. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    FS1 is showing today's two matches at 5pm and midnight (at least in my time zone). Probably Belgium-Japan will be the later showing.

6. leao1918

leao1918 Member

Fortaleza EC
    Brazil
    Jun 17, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That was totally a fluke goal. Yes.

Vertonghen clearly wanted to cross the ball over and ended up going in. Terrible positioning by the keeper and a lot of luck. That isn't to say Belgium wouldn't have scored a goal anyway. They were dangerous in every attack.

7. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

With that defense, Belgium will struggle against Brazil.

8. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Positive observation, but they also have not faced any competition where psychologically they knew coming in they were at a
    Disadvantage/ it mattered (refering to england game hehe). We will see if they go down against brazil what they do...

Martinez though should help them this in this regard

9. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Were they 3 at the back? I dont think theyll do that against brazil.

Silva and Miranda vs Lukaku... less crosses more play through de bruyne and hazard cutting in. How has fagner been at rb?

kennytt repped this.
  10. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a devastating loss, but Japan should be very proud. South Korea and Japan are the Pride of Asia.

puyol and tudobem62014 repped this.
  11. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    They are weak in the midfield too. They will definitely struggle.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  12. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Belgium does not stand the chance with Brazil with this performance.

13. Azurra89

Azurra89 Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jun 27, 2018
    If it wasn't for that lucky goal, Belgium would not have the strength to turn the game.

BUT, winners also count on lucky most of times.

Guinho and tudobem62014 repped this.
  14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I'll write some of what I wrote in the Brazil threads.

Japan displayed characteristics that are typical of its culture: patience, discipline, and self-control. Japan has come a long way in no small part to its efforts in developing soccer (which has included exchange programs with Brazilian coaches, players, and soccer camps for Japanese kids in Brazil).

Japan surprised many with its tactical organization in the first half and their 2 goals stunned everybody including Belgium. Its worst error proved to be its costliest: Japan's players probably assumed that with 30 seconds before injury time ended, Belgium would not score. But when the Belgian goalkeeper threw the ball off that corner, a few Japanese were slow to run, pacing forward slowly inside the Belgian box. In contrast, the Belgians all took off, and caught Japan by surprise.

Much respect to a clean, fair-play-oriented, Japanese side. I really wanted you to win, not so much because you would've faced Brazil, but because you did everything right to advance until the Belgians drew and then scored the final goal.

Belgium's team is comprised by human beings after all (no sarcasm). With tactical application, this good European team was held scoreless for almost 70 minutes by Japan. They deserve credit for two quick game-tying goals and for not giving up while being down 0-2 until the 69th minute. Belgium's manager made some key personnel changes which proved right.

Belgium will definitely give Brazil a tough game this Friday. As for Japan, go back to Tokyo with your pride intact. Japanese soccer made this World Cup better.

tudobem62014, F.L.I.P., Guinho and 3 others repped this.
  15. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Unbelievable game.

Japan would have won if not for Belgiun's flukey opening goal coming when it did. Credit to Belgium for not ever giving up. After the goal, it was almost as if Japan couldn't believe they were still leading and they never regained the composure they'd showed earlier. I'm gutted for Japan that they couldn't at least take it to extra time. But once Belgium scored, it always looked like they would eventually win given enough time, because of their aerial and technical superiority. Ultimately, this result is the logical and fair outcome because Belgium were (and are) significantly better even if they had long stretches of weak play in the first hour.

Aside: I don't understand why Japan's manager didn't sub earlier or at least give some more defensive instructions when the game was 2-0. Japan potentially had this one but they really did let it get away.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To me the sign of a great team is how they come back from adversity and if they can win without playing their best game.
    I think Belgium did what they had to do and bounced back for the victory which is all they care about.

Brazil though is a different animal and also a great team (The better team in my mind.)
    I expect some adjustments to be made defensively but Brazil should take a close one.

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I thought all matches in the second round have been great, except Spain vs Russia. But Belgium vs Japan was the best.

18. RafaelNN

RafaelNN New Member

Fluminense
    Brazil
    Jul 2, 2018
    Marcelo and Coutinho throwing balls at Neymar and Willian.

If Belgium wants a game it will not be able to play like that.

19. minimalfb

minimalfb Member

FC Barcelona
    Argentina
    Jun 15, 2018
    Brazil vs Belgium is going to be a great match. I hope it won't be a France vs Belgium, or Uruguay vs Brazil semi-final. Prefer it to be a France vs Brazil with some magic like the 1998 Zidane's show. That was a classic!

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You do know that South Korea and Japan are bitter rivals a la Brazil & Argentina or England & Germany, do you not?

21. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The best match of the WC so far.

Japan can go back home with their heads held high.

kennytt and Guinho repped this.
  22. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Elo isnt subjective. It's purely data driven based on win loss records

23. eagle88

eagle88 New Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    anyone have a link to a reply to this game?

24. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I wonder what language Lukaku was speaking when he gave his rousing speech to his teammates in the victory huddle after the match. It sounded like English, which is a little weird.

25. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Belgium is a made up country that threw together Dutch and French speakers. English might very well be a conveniently diplomatic language for addressing the whole team.

26. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Belgium is the most talented and balanced team outside of Brazil. They should be looking to go to the final. The problem is that this particular group has a tendency to hand their opposition a life line in knockout games. They could have lost against the US in 2014 and they did lose to Wales in the 2016 Euros. So this time they did a little better but it still left me with a lot of questions. I foresee a third straight quarterfinal exit for this team.