R16 July 1 Russia v. Spain [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They have to focus on Denmark first.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Russia followed the script Iran used against Spain, except they were not trailing long enough to have to adjust that script as Iran had to do in the 2nd half. And the reason Spain didn't show more urgency, frankly, is because Spain didn't have enough confidence that if it took risks in the kind of plays and passes they were to execute, they wouldn't lose the ball and be exposed on the counter.

All in all, Spain didn't do well in this tournament and showed weaknesses tactically as well as defensively. Pique was nutmegged against Iran to give Iran a great chance to score; he had a poor handball against Russia to give them a pk and, other than doing fine as a distributor of easy passes, wasn't reliable enough defensively. And De Gea, rarely tested to show anything from the run of play, had a horrible blunder against Portugal, wasn't able to save a well taken free kick by Ronaldo, nor his penalty shot, and in the pk shoot out against Russia, wasn't able to save any of the penalties either. Even though a few were penalties that might have been saved. I think De Gea's confidence was shot badly after the Portugal blunder.

Spain has a lot of good players, obviously, but tiki taka is too difficult to implement and has more downsides than upsides. I think tiki taka was already on its last gasps before this tournament but now it will have even fewer sides try to emulate it. There are better tactics to win games.

As for Russia, they aren't going to bunker like that against the other teams they will meet down the line. They are a defensive side but against Spain, parking the bus makes sense.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  4. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I am glad that Spain is out of the tournament. This arrogant TikiTaka football. Boring. That's not football. Yes Spain had more of the game. More possession, more shots on goal. This is the playing style of Spain. 30 times across, 25 times back. Then the Spaniards lose the ball. Then they get the ball back. And then again 30 times across, 25 back. No risk. The Spaniards play their style. So you do not take counter-risk. And the opponent will eventually get tired of running for get
    the ball.

5. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Croatia is certainly no walk through and I would favor them over either Colombia or England.

6. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Korea and Russia kept pressing. That scares possession-oriented teams like Germany or Spain. It's psychological, even.

7. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    Tiki Taka is really good but what this current Spanish team is missing is a great goalscorer who will finish the chances. No Villa, Torres or in case of Barca Messi. They made a ridiculous blunder subbing off Costa. He's the closest thing to a finisher they have. They played a lot of balls into the box today but had no one to score and so all that was for naught.

I always found De Gea overrated. Been saying it for a long time...

Iran had a great showing in the tourney. I was honestly rooting for them!

Zandi360, Pipiolo and Iranian Monitor repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    And the dutch team havent touche

9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Group B has officially gone extinct.

Iranian Monitor repped this.
  10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Yes midfield wise croatia are far better than england but not up top or at the back

11. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More creativity in this post than on the field today.

bigsoccertst1, Guinho and HomietheClown repped this.
  12. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghuino says:

From one of FIFA's powerpoints on this:

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm.

The referee shall take the following into consideration:
    -the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)
    -the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)
    -position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement

Based on that: No PK. The handling rule in the box is all over the place. It is a core part of the game, you'd think it would be more consistent.

Guinho repped this.
  13. puyol

puyol Member+

FC Barcelona
    Dec 24, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The guy who didn't bring Morata even though the team clearly lacked a striker upfront ? :rolleyes:

14. Ribo_2006

Ribo_2006 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Uk
    Costa with 3goals, crap service and a managerless outfit would strongly disagree with you.

15. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Honestly? Both.

roverman repped this.
  16. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For what it is worth, Colombia, england and Croatia are all right about the same rating

roverman repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We shall see on Tuesday.
    I will tip my cap to the young England team with an inexperienced manager if they beat Colombia.

Until then I don't see them as a big fish compared to Colombia. Maybe even as you put it but that is as far as I go.

18. Deep Wilcox

Deep Wilcox BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It went to video review and still no foul. It was a duel mugging

19. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think talent-wise are even-ish. Colombia's edge is in the experience department. However, if James doesn't play, the talent edge probably goes to the English.

roverman repped this.
  20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Where it gets tricky is that Refs tend to look to see if a player is deliberately trying to make himself bigger and if the arm is in an unnatural position.
    It is not so black and white.

roby repped this.
  21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Homie doing his best to jinx his team.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a mercy plea, not a plea because there was an actual foul.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't believe in jinxes. What a person says on a website will have no bearing on what two teams do in Russia.

May the best team win.

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    England historically are a far bigger football nation than colombia. Club wise and internationally..maybe the last 4 years they are about level..4 years ago we were rancid..we had a dinosaur of a coach and through euro 16...this game is 50/50

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1013472629100032002 is not a valid tweet id

NaBUru38 repped this.
  26. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That would be like saying Uruguay historically are a bigger football team than England.
    No one cares what happened decades ago.

Pipiolo, bigsoccertst1 and Deep Wilcox repped this.