R16 July 1 Croatia v. Denmark [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by soccernutter, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Every games will be tough but i am confident we will be better from now with this mental boost ;)

JoseEmidio, RadixG and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  2. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Hvala bogu. Thanks to God. The curse ended. I was not hopefull for the penalties but Subašić stepped up.

Nico777 repped this.
  3. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    A bit of a boring game but it was nice to see a game without any dives. Special respect to The Danish forward who could have dived in the 110 th minute on a fair challenge and got a penalty for his team but didnt dive over there. The game is going in the right direction. And most of the teams that dive are out - we dont want another pathetic champions league.

Croatia should easily reach the semis - but they need to improve offensively if they need to go all the way.

Btw, judging by how bad their penalties were, if they can have Suker in their squad to take penalties, that wouldnt be a bad idea. :) He may be old but I think he should be able to kick better penalties than what most of the Croatian players ended up kicking.

4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The penalties were amazing. GKs were the best part of this game.

LIZZIE repped this.
  5. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Suker would be great to have in Kalinic's place...what a player he was.....

KennyDalglish repped this.
  6. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Any idea why Sisto only got 15 minutes. I thought he was quite fine in the group stage.

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    To be honest I expected more from Sisto in this tournament. He was one of the potential break out stars of this World Cup but he was somewhat ineffective in the games he played. He scored no goal and I think he had no assist as well.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There were two 1-1 draws today. This one was BY FAR the best. The other one was two teams, one with no idea how to attack and the other that seem to accept the fact that all their possession amounted to nothing due to the fact that they did not have the skill in the attacking third to make any really dangerous chances.

Both Denmark and Croatia played to their strengths and deserved to win but there can be only one winner. It is too bad that Russia cannot be removed and Denmark inserted in their place. At least the next match would be less boring.

Russia vs Croatia will be a bore-fest to end them all. It may well be 0-0 with no shots on goal but at least the fans will be interesting.

BGADK repped this.
  9. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    His stock declined as the tournament wore on. Didn't pass well, lost the ball a lot.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  10. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh please. From a team with like three shots on goal in 120 minutes. He got lucky on a coin flip

11. KennyDalglish

KennyDalglish Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Correct. There is a little bit of Croatia overrating (i have been guilty of that myself but I mostly did say they will reach the semis which they should simply because of the opponents they were expected to face)

12. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  13. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Epic to see Peter Schmeichel going crazy with his son's heroics and then the failure of the other Danish players during the PK shootout. Croatia not as dominant here as it was vs. Argentina, but Denmark was much more wisely deployed and stationed on the pitch.

A salute to both teams - Denmark, I will never forget how you made me sweat in 1998. Croatia, quarterfinals again, where in 1998 you crushed Germany. Now it's Russia. Should be a great game, and I give your team the edge.

14. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that it was 1998 when both these teams went farthest last and meet here. Also saw Davor Suker in the audience.. Schmeichel + Suker - 2 legends from that WC...

tudobem62014 repped this.
  15. 954gator

954gator Member

Jun 16, 2016
    Denmark's keeper is a beast. Denmark's kickers let him down in the PKs. How many times was he going to have to save them sheesh.

tudobem62014, BGADK and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    here you go ... no sound though ...

17. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Wow what a crazy match. The memories of Turkey Euro 2008 finally vanquished. Huge mental hurdle for Croatia to finally win a pk shootout especially after Modric missed a pk late in ET.

Nico777 repped this.