[R] USA U20s vs. Canada

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by The Greatest, May 18, 2005.

1. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...what does Freddy have...5 shots, only one of which went in, and that was a penalty. He's caught the Eskandarian desease.

2. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    The Matchtracker said all his goals (3) this year have been PK's

3. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Will John w/ Shot..deflected by a Canuck... Ba$tard

4. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta

At the U20 level that is called Eddie Johnson Disease...and the long-term prognosis is very good!

5. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    adu seemed more involved (going by the matchtracker) when he was moved up top

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like all 3 Fire players played well: Chad Barret, Will John, and Canada's Will Johnson.

7. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol...any time table as to when he'll proclaim himself a grow-ass-man?

Thanks, i had forgotten the name completely..... if the kids present right now forget to put on their scoring boots, i can see them in danger of losing spots, or at least significant minutes

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Yeah but this is only his 4th game this year. His other 3 games were during qualifying. But it did seem playing in the midfield he was more involved in this game than the three others (just going by what I read from the matchtracker)

9. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    has Jemal Johnson been confirmed as joining the team?

10. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Let me try to answer.

First of all, Gaven is the attacking midfielder. But actually Gaven is very verstile, so he can play from any direction to attack--left, center, and right, and he can also stuck in and distribute from deep midfield.

Then Dalby is so-called defensive midfielder. I may watched him to play in Korea game, but didn't remember anything. He was supposed to be a player who has decent skill, speed, and size. He got the physical bite and the range to cover the midfielder.

Adu on the left. Adu isn't a winger at all, so expect him to cut in the center and do whatever he does.

Feilhaber isn't winger either. He would cut in, stuck in, distribute and play making.

Then John and Rogers are more like the winger type. Even Alvarez is not a full winger.

In this case, the wing attackers will be Ward and Wynne.

In the forward, Nguyen is a playmaking foward like Donovan style. Barret is more a second forward type. So the new kid Ochoa is probably a true forward and we heard that he is very good.

11. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    (Arturo Alvarez) FC Dallas vs. Colorado

[result]Alvarez was an unused sub in FC Dallas 2-1 win over Colorado[/result]

12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Now I'm confused. Not unusual.

13. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vietnam used to be a colony of France before the Vietnam War...the French had a lot of trading ties with the country...so maybe this had something to do with it.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Alvarez did good on his first year in San Jose but failed to progress after that. He got few minutes. One problem is that the transformation from a kid wonder to a serious pro may not as easy as people think. The only weakness of Alvarez is his pace, otherwise he got very sweet left foot. But with Sigi moves Adu to the left side and John becomes a backup, then Alvarez becomes expendable.

One problem we face now is that we have some real talents in the rank. A MLS starter Bradley may have to wait on his turn in next U-20. Both Davies and Peterson are in danger because Ochoa, Nguyen and J. Johnson. In the back, Ward and Wynne with Freeman backs them up, so maybe two center backs--likely Sturgis and Ianni will rotate with Spector. The midfield is really crowded.

15. JinJin

JinJin Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    that is true but I did manage to find some information on this guy. His name is Ludovic Casset, apparently he is the nephew of a former Minister of Culture and Information. It also seems however that the NT team coach Edson Tavares left him out of the team claiming he didn't really out performed any of the players.

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Nguyen and Wynne, how can they lose? :cool:

17. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    it's a Nguyen-Wynne situation.

:D

18. ur_land

ur_land New Member

Aug 1, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Oh good lord. I've supposedly given out too much rep in the past 24 hrs., but when I can do it again, you've both got some coming to you for that vilely wonderful pun.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Not much need to hide spoilers, no TV for the game. Had the score been reversed late Alvarez mightv'e been needed. With Mulrooney out and Talley going down early, it was a good idea to have him there even if not playing. Unfortunately everyone wasn't able to predict the future.

20. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Thanks Shaster

21. LeperKhan

LeperKhan New Member

Aug 10, 2000
    St. Paul, MN
    Was at the match - I'm terrible at watching matches and coming back with useful information on how people played, but here are my random thoughts.

The US definitely had the run of play, but Canada did have some chances as well. The conditions weren't great, and frankly the level of play wasn't really either. There were quite a few long stretches of balls going back and forth between the teams in the middle third of the field without anything useful happening. And there seemed to be a lack of intensity at times from both sides, but whatever.

Gaven definitely looked good. The goal was sweet - beautiful through ball (apparently from Ngyuen? - I actually didn't see who made the pass) that he ran onto, outpaced the last 2 defenders, and then calmly beat the keeper.

Adu played ok, but did disappear some, especially in the frist half. I commented to someone when he scored the PK that he really hadn't done a whole lot to that point. He did get better in the 2nd half I thought, and showed his usual dribbling acrobatics. I thought Wynne looked good at right back, solid on defense and made some decent runs forward. I also thought Will John looked good when he came on, although he, like the team generally, seemed to not want to shoot from distance. He had a couple nice runs onto balls that gave him possession near the top of the box, after which he would dribble around and try to find a teammate, but the Canucks were packed in pretty deep, and it would usually get cleared. Everyone seemed to have this difficulty, and we kept yelling for someone to shoot the ball, but they seemed to always want to make the extra pass rather than shooting from distance.

What else do I remember... Kartunen looked ok, although he was almost scored on in the second half due to the strong wind. A Canadian player booted it down the field, and the wind caught it and it bounced once over Kartunen's head as he helplessly ran back towards the goal line after it. Fortunately, it went just wide, but it would have been a pretty embarassing goal to give up had it gone in.

That's about all I remember.

22. smcg

smcg New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Minnesota
    I thought Wynn played great. Most of the play came out of the right side, he did make some great runs embarrassing sevral Canadian players during the game. He's extremely fast and looks really well built. Not someone you'd want to run into. I rember at one point in the game he was like 10 yards behind a Canadian player and he ran him down in a matter of a few seconds. Everyone else looked pretty good to me.

23. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not much better at it, and my vantage point was one row higher than yours, but I'll see what I can add...

I really, really liked what I saw from Lee Nguyen...had that sweet cross that was headed over the bar about 10 minutes in, won the PK for Freddy, and was basically a thorn in the Maple Leafs side all night. Keep an eye on this kid...

Same thing on Wynne...lots over overlapping runs, tracked back well, and tough in the tackle. Don't mess with him. The card was completely bogus...

Gaven and Adu - poster children #1 and 2 for what spending a season or two playing with the big boys can do.

Final thought: sitting (ok standing) it those conditions last night (let's be honest, for mid-May, they were moderately wretched, even for Minnesota) to watch a U-20 friendly...that, my friends, is the definition of hardcore fan.

24. woodwork

woodwork Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Guys, thanks for all the match reports.

25. wayler

wayler New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    indy
    how do you see Lee Nguyen fitting into the IU program ? With Peterson and another fast tall 6'1'' forward[Noschang-redshirt frosh,high school allamerican] Lee should add to a potent off punch.