[R] US-Brazil Post Game Player Ratings [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by fusion101, Jul 24, 2003.

1. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I attented the game tonight at the Orange Bowl and would like to share what I saw. Sorry if this is somewhere else in the forums.

(GOALKEEPING- good job by Keller. Nothing he could really do about the goals.)

Kasey Keller- B+ - Keller had another great game in goal. Really had no chance on either goals. Made some great saves.

(DENFENSE- I thought the defense could have played alittle tighter back there, but hell we played against Brazil, and they held their own. Bruce has to be happy with the way the defense performed tonight. Esp. with the way the outside defenders pushed up and attacked.)

Bobby Convey- B - Convey played a good game. He controled his side pretty well, and was geat pushing up. He had a great chance to score late in the game but the goalie came out to stop him.

Carlos Bocanegra- A - Boca is working himself into the US top 11 with his great performances. He was great defending the Brazilian forwards and had a great header for a goal.

Cory Gibbs - B+ - Gibbs was great in the center with Boca. He and Boca worked pretty well together and really stop Brazils attacking play. He didnt have any big mistakes that lead any scoring chances. He has speed, good ball skills, and is physical.

Frankie Hejduk - B+ - Hejduk doesnt have the great ball skills, but his heart makes up for it. If only Mathis had half Hejduks' heart. I was really never a big Hejduk fan, but he was GREAT tonight. He never gave up on any ball and pushed up all night. He was a pain for the Brazilians to deal with. If he can work on his crosses some more he will be deadly.

(MIDFIELD- the midfield was ok tonight. I thought we had our fair amount of ball possesion. I liked the nice pass combos that we put together. I would have liked to seen Ralston instead of Steward, but it didnt work out.)

Eddie Lewis - B - Did his job as an outside midfielder. Lewis has some good moves and beat the Brazilians a couple times (1 sweet nutmeg I believe). He held the ball good for the US and started some nice attacks. His crosses are fantastic. He gets a B because he disappeared for some time during the game.

Claudio Reyna - B - Claudio played a so so game. He is coming back from his injury and isnt expect to be at 100%. He is still the US passing man. Had some nice passes and a nice free kick. He had to come out at the 70th minute because he was tired which is understandable.

(Richard Mulrooney, 71) - C - Didn't have a bad game or anything, but you can tell the difference between a guy like him and a guy like Renya. Doesnt have to composer to hold the ball in the midfield. Is a hard worker and a good passer.

Pablo Mastroeni - B+ - Did great tonight. Look out Armas because you may never get your spot back with the way Pablo is playing. Pablo dominated his part of the field. Was in the right spot at the right time, and his passing is getting great. His passes are looking like Reyna's at times. Another great performance.

Earnie Stewart - B- - I think evenyone was pissed off to see Earnie in instead of DMB, but atleast Earnie looked like he wanted to be out there. He worked hard and did a good job. He is getting old and it looks like his days are limited, but that doesnt mean he is giving up for a starting job on the National team.

(Damarcus Beasley, 83) - C- - Looked like he came out and thought he was gonna take it to the Brazilians. I thought he was extremely lazy, esp. considering he came in at the 80th minute. I credit him for giving up the first goal. If I remember correctly, that was his guy who step up the goal. He should have been back supporting for both goals considering the US players were tired. He had a nice performance last Brazil game, but this is not acceptable. He needs to get his head on and give it 110%.

Brian McBride - B - Didn't see a lot of McBride, but I can say he was a big threat in the minutes he played. He was a key reason the US had that streak of like 15 minutes were it looked like ther would score. I know he would have made a HUGH difference if he played full game. To bad.

(Clint Mathis, 30) - D - Clint is not going anywhere with his attitude. I liked Clint before he got injured, now he is so lazy. He walked the whole game, and didn't have any chances or make any chances for scoring. Very disappointing for such a talented player. Bruce needs to cut him and tell him he can come back when he is in shape and ready to play. All he needs to do is get in better cardio shape and he should be 100% better, he cant run 10 minutes without getting out of breath. Tayler > Clint.

Landon Donovan - A - Another performance by Landon to show you why he is gonna be one of the best attacking players in the world. He is just such a great holder of the ball, and he has great vision. I would have loved to see him work with McBride. He brought it to the Brazilians and they knew it. He could have had a goal with his performance.

MOTM- Carlos Bocanegra

Biggest Disappoinment of Match- Beasly (For as short as the time he was in he didn't even come back to help the defense, which he should get the blame for the goals. Mathis played piss poor, but its nothing new so I didnt expect anything from him.)

There were like 70% Brazilian fans and 30% US fans. It looked like all Brazilian but their where quite abit of white t-shirts out there, and they were all like pro US.
    This game was a great game to watch, and is a great learning experience for Bruce and the team.
    I prob. made some grammer errors, but it is 12 am and I'm tired from rooting the USA on! =]

2. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The entire backline was horrible, imo.

Way too shaky for the 90+ mins. They allowed Brazil to possess in their 1/3rd for too long. Good defenders do not allow their opponent to camp out near the box, as well as having so much space on counter attacks.

If the real Brazil team had played, they could have scored 5 goals tonight. The US backline needs to learn how to close in and take possesion. Too much resting on their laurels, and allowing their man to get shots.

Don't let Keller's performance fool you into thinking the defense was anything close to good.

Pathetic performance all the way around from the back 4. No excuse to get worked by U-23s, some of whom are only 17 or 18.

As I said before, had this been the real Brazil team, the back 4 would have been more exposed than a Playboy centerfold.

3. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Is there anything below an "F" to give Clint Mathis?

His performance last night had me longing for Kirovski.

4. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    arrrrgh

Why does everyone think Landon had a good game no matter what?

Landon did not have a good game last night. Granted, he had no help from a midfield unwilling to go forward. Considering what Landon is capable of, I'm giving him a C at best along with the rest of the team (with the exception of keller who only gets a B).

An F for cleatus is too good.

Sorry folks, but individually too many players looked scared on the attack.

5. Morpheus1271

Morpheus1271 Member

May 30, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Nope

This post is incorrect. The BACKLINE was very good. It was our midfield and front line that couldn't slow down the attack.

If the real Brazilian team was on the pitch it would have been a different game. This U-23 squad was very talented but they just kept pushing forward. The full Brazilian squad would have held a bit more to build up an attack which perhaps would have allowed our defenders a little more "down" time.

Agree with another poster about Mathis/Beasley. In defense of Bruce's decision to put Mathis in, I don't think that was in his game plan. McBride got hurt and had to come out. My gut tells me that his first sub was intended to be Steve Ralston. I also don't think he would have put Beasley on the pitch had McBride not gotten injured. OH WELL. He gambled slightly and lost this time.

6. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: arrrrgh

Well, I happen to think Landon had a very good game last night. He had a statue to work with and still had a fine performance. Towards the end of the first half (might have been in the second half), he wins the ball with four defenders around him, he's looking for help and Mathis is STANDING clear across the field doing nothing. Even the announcers were saying Donovan had to hold it and wait for help because Mathis was just standing around. Then towards the end of the game, he gets the ball, heads up field, pushes the ball past two or three defenders and then completely smokes them (I thought he'd pushed it too far in front and was going to lose it, but he beat them to the ball) past another defender or two and then passes to Mathis and he's offsides. Clint, all you gotta do in the play is watch your offsides and you can't do that?
    The one thing I do wish LD would work on is 1v1 moves. If he can work on that, get confidence and do it, he'll be unstoppable. Just wish he'd take people on. He tries it once or twice a game, and then won't do it anymore (maybe he does read BS and knows he'll be ripped apart for losing it) But IMO he just needs to risk it and do it time after time until it starts happening right. Start playing more selfish. Because unless we can find somebody to take McBride's place when he's hurt or gone, LD will have to do it 1 v 1 all the time.
    I was really disappointed in Beasley. He didn't even look like he was trying out there. Hopefully it's just because he was rusty, but I thought he could at least run; I expected the ball skills to be a little rusty, but not the attitude. I expected him to step out there with a real killer attitude since he hadn't gotten to play at all - and it wasn't there.

7. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    The defense was not our problem

People - get this one idea firmly implanted in your heads:

If you do not carry possession, your defense will be under constant pressure.

Read that again, and then again, and then again. It was not our defenders - who by in large played a wonderful defensive game - that caused the US to cough up two goals. And you know what? It wasn't even our midfielders, especially Mastroeni and Mulrooney, who are both DMids first and who do not carry the responsibility or have the talent to maintain possession.

It was Arena. It was a terrible tactical decision, and it is one that we have seen repeatedly from him. On more than one occasion, we've been burned by it:

• Against Colombia in the 2000 Gold Cup, Arena thought the US had the game in-hand in the 51st minute when Armas put the US up 2-1. He subbed in CJ Brown for Brian McBride, and just 4 minutes later, Bedoya scored Colombia's second goal. Arena, having used his three subs to insert Richie Williams, Ben Olsen, and Brown, had no offensive alternatives on the field, and for the rest of the game, the US was under a barrage of attacks. We lost in PK's.
    • In Matzetenango, Ante Razov put the US on top 1-0 in the 46th minute. Immediately after, Arena pulled his troops back and began playing bunkerball in front of the 10,000 in attendance. The US withstood the shelling for almost the entire game before Ruiz mugged our entire back line and our goalkeeper in the 88th to tie.
    • In Saprissa, Bruce Arena started to play for the tie after Earnie Stewart equalized the WCQ in the 65th minute. Arena began subbing in his defensive troops and brought on Hejduk and Deering, then swapped forwards when he brought on Kreis for Razov. The US, bunkered down and under attack again in front of a hysterical home crowd, dodged a bullet when Hejduk tackled a Tico from behind, then got screwed on a make up call when Prendergast saw a hand on Berhalter's forehead.
    • Perhaps the finest example, again in Costa Rica Arena decides to go a full 90 with one of the most defensively postured, bunker-ball teams we have ever seen. Even with 5 defenders, 2 defensive midfielders, and Friedel, the US loses 2-0.

The point I am trying to make here is this - the way to play out a game is NOT to bunker down and see if your defense can withstand the attack. We have tried it before. It has not worked before. Can we please learn from the lesson?!?!

The more we have of the ball, the more we retain possession, it puts our defenders under less pressure, the opponent has to work harder to chase the ball and defend, and the US team dictates the flow of the game rather than being dictated to.

If nothing else comes of last night's game, I hope that lesson was finally learned.

8. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Unfortunately, I couldn't see the game ... but I doubt Arena will ever fully digest this lesson.

9. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Definite "F" for Mathis. How can this guy still not be fit? He does not move off the ball at all. All his explosiveness is gone. His attempts to take Brazilian defenders of the dribble were laughable. Bruce needs to dump him till he gets back that edge that he had before. Convey was the other stinker. He is playing horribly lately. I know Bruce is trying to play him through this funk that he is in, but his play is becoming detrimental to the squad. PLEASE call up Dunivant and Gbandi. Convey has no future at left back. Boca, Hejduk, and Gibbs all played very well. As did Mastroeni, Reyna, and Donovan. Stewart is about done with the US. Beasley is still nursing his ankle injury so don't be too hard on him. Lewis needed much better service. Every good sequence for the US came when he was involved in the play. Overall, a decent performance, but the boys did not seem fit enough. We didn't even have enough gas in the tank to mustard a decent counter attack. I felt bad for Donovan. It was like he was all alone up top.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I agree with Nutmeg. Our defenders truly did a fantastic job. Our possession was truly lacking. As a result we were under seige. The defenders really starting playing better and better as the game went on (Gibbs, Bocanegra and to a lesser extent Hejduk). They started jumping passing lanes and playing very well together. Obviously the Boca injury cost them on the goal and in the overtime. I think the D just was too exhausted at the end to keep up.

Here are my ratings:

Keller - 8.0 - A very good game shot stopping wise. Got some good help by the posts on at least two occassions. Got some good help by the refs. Ironic since on the game winning goal, it looked to be offsides. Although he was fantastic, he was far from perfect. The disallowed goal being one example where he could have come off his line. The spill which resulted in the penalty. He played great, but not perfect.

Convey - 5.5 - A so so game for Convey. As a LB he looks great going forward (surprising since he is a MF), but I couldn't help but think that the back line could have used some more defensive help on the left. Convey did not provide much defensive help. Most of the attack though did not go through his side. However, when the attack was going through the other side, I don't think he was there in support as much as he should have been. But hey, he is a midfielder, so what can we expect.

Bocanegra - 9.0 - MOTM - A great goal. Great job defending and cleaning up messes. I think he made some mistakes late in the game which prevented the 10 which were either the result of cramps/injury or just general fatigue. In one play in particular, Boca was marked on a guy and then lost him a bit, Gibbs slid over and marked the guy with the ball. Boca kind of stood there behind Gibbs doing nothing. A gap opened up in the center of defense and Brazil exploited it almost gettign the game winner (Convey could have pinched in but didn't). When he got hurt or was cramping too much, he moved up to target forward and showed some very impressive flick ons with his head and feet, even though he was injured. He might just be #2 at target forward after this performance.

Gibbs - 8.0 - Great game. Had one "blown" play where he got beat pretty handidly and the Brazilian player was 1 v 1 with Keller. Boca came out of nowhere and cleaned it up though. He is effective on set pieces and is really coming into his own on the international level. I would almost go so far as to say that he is probably #3 on the depth charts at CB right now. His somewhat questionable passing/ball skills never once showed with some decent Brazilian pressure.

Hejdude - 6.0 - Ran well, crossed poorly, defended well. At least you know what your getting ahead of time. Cherundolo is the solid #1. If Sanneh returns, then he pushes Dolo for the #1. Until that time, the starter is pretty clear.

Mastro - 7.5 - Was fantastic in midfield dropping back and disrupting the Brazilian attack. His passing was good too. I would like to see him be more effective in attack (a shot, a good assist for example). But his defensive tenacity and positioning was great. On the tying goal, it seemed like he might have been able to get back into the play but kind of let up once the shot happened and watched. Still, a good showing.

Reyna - 6.5 - Limited time due to injury. Still great composure on the ball and good possession. Sent a couple of good balls in that led to very good attacking opportunities. Tracked back well and helped. Almost tracked back too much at times (like to the back line). Also slowed some counterattacks which if sprung faster might have been more productive.

Lewis - 6.0 - A good game, not great in my mind. Held the ball well out on the left and appears to be able to get an effective cross off at will on anyone. (scary). The battle for the left mid continues.

Stewart - 4.5 - A poor game in my view. Didn't see him track back that much. When he did, he wasn't that effective. He got into attack one or two times. We just didn't have the same outlet on the right that we did on the left.

Mulrooney - 5.0 - A so-so game. Came on and had some good flashes, but didn't seem to make his presence felt enough. Plus you saw the drop off in possession when Reyna went out.

Run DMP - Where is the run? Not a good player on the right. Doesn't have the same confidence or the same moves.

McBride - 5.0 - Limited minutes, but dominant in the air as always. He should get to wear a helmet.

Donovan - 6.5 - Not his best game, not his worst game. A good showing as far as I was concerned. Might be one of the best counterattacking/fast break forwards in the world. Several times dropped back to defend and did that well.

Mathis - 1.0 - Obviously our midfield didn't have too much possession. Obviously our goal was under seige most of the game. Obviously he is not a target forward. But on top of Clint's general lack of defensive hustle and pressure to the forwards, he didn't have the ball enough or do anything with it. About the best thing he did was get in the faces of a couple of Brazilians after hard challenges. Regardless could have done a lot more. (or something for that matter).

11. lasoccervegas2002

Jul 7, 2002
    this planet
    Why Steve Ralston did not play yesterday ? i think he's been played great soccer....was there any dispute between him and BA or something ?

12. No ratings here..just one observation about our D..
    If you let a team like Brazil attack and just run up until it gets to your box you bet they are going to put a couple of goals in the back of the onion bag...
    IMO
    Overall we played will a lot of hart but we don't have the skill of a Brazil... If fact no one does /.....Except Brazil...

13. moorland

moorland Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Agree on Mathis, I believe Bocanegra worked harder then him in OT despite Bocangra's severe cramping. No excuse for that, when your down to basically 10 men everyone must step up their workrate.

14. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Beasley's defense Arena had him, a left footed player, playing on the right side not his position.

15. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Dallas
    Re: The defense was not our problem

Add the game against S. Korea...that's the game that resembled last night in my mind. We weren't playing THAT well, but we got the goal to go up 1-0. And the rest of the game we looked very tired.

Additional point #1: We didn't have enough guys behind the ball in the last ten minutes of the game. I realize everyone despises the bunker, but if Bruce is going to call for that gameplan, then the midfielders have to get back and help the defenders when the forwards concede possession. Too many times late in the second half I saw 2 v 2s or 3 v 3s...if Kasey wasn't Kasey it wouldn't have gone to OT. Make Brazil play 8 v 11 in our half of the field.

Additional point #2: This backs up what Nutmeg says--Hold possession! Clint and DaMarcus weren't going to beat six or seven Brazilians; they should have passed it back to the midfielders and played keep away. The old saying "let the ball do the work".

Additional point #3: Fatigue makes cowards of us all, but I hate cowards. There's no excuse for being tired...you're soccer players! I was so frustrated watching our guys WALK around in the midfield. %^#%$#@&*(&_&%$^#!!!

16. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I realize that the US backline was under tremendous pressure because the midfield was on vacation.

However, the US defenders were never able to ward off the counter attacks by stepping in and taking possesion before anything happened.

That's the difference between an average defender and world-class defenders. The US defenders cannot be aggressive and wipe out the counter attack as soon as it happens. Instead, the US defenders kept backpeddling while Brazil constantly kept creeping forward without US resistence.

Until the backline gives the offense ANY pressure, I cannot give them credit.

17. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    Now do i really have to re-issue my WHY THE *************** IS MULROONEY IN THE SQUAD??? WAS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC (AGAIN)..
    really question BA decision on this waste of space..

phishy

18. I would rather see Ryan Suarez or Eddie J......

19. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States

Well, what did you suggest all-knowing one? Play straight up with Brazil, allow them to counter attack with numbers? Push 6 into attack and allow Brazil to come back with 6 on 4? How long do you think we'd be in the game? Huh? We've tried these tactics, we know they don't work, YOU DON'T BEAT MORE TALENTED TEAMS WITHOUT A PLAN. PERIOD. We were within 3 minutes of beating a more talented Brazilian team without some of our best players and honestly with a largely experimental lineup (talk about a baptism by fire for Gibbs and Convey). Our plan worked to PERFECTION last night, watch the tape, Brazil's shots weren't that troubling to Keller, all from outside the box and all comfortably saved (other then the one he got a hand on and came out off the post). We carried the play early in OT but showed that Mathis is WORTHLESS and that McBride is necessary for Lewis to be effective with his crosses.

Arena had a perfect plan last night, we just didn't hold the lead, we left a man unmarked who got into the box and Kaka cleaned it up. Mexico was outclassed by this team as well but held the bunker for the remainder of the game. By the by, take Borghetti out of Mexico's squad against Brazil and see if they can muster many offensive chances....but please, think about what you would have said if we had held the lead, and don't be fooled either, this U-23 team could probably be top-10 in the world.

20. fusion101

fusion101 Member

Jan 11, 2002
    I maybe rated some of the players alittle to high, but in all respect we played a decent game last night. If we had won that game 1-0 everyone would have been jumping for joy. I agree some on how the defense was to loose. The defense needed to get alittle tighter back there, but then again, the midfield needed to hold possesion so the Brazilians wouldn't be attacking every 2 minutes. Everyone can say that Steward didn't perform to well last night, but I can asure you that he would have been back there to help prevent that first goal. I don't know what the hell DMB was thinking, he just comes on at midfield, and doesn't go back to help support the defense with 2 minutes left. I'm hoping Bruce calls Twellman up for Saturday and sends Mathis home. Atleast Twellman will give it 100%.

21. TravisMinor_23

TravisMinor_23 New Member

Oct 16, 2001
    United States
    Re: Re: The defense was not our problem

You just made my point for me, S. Korea out played us by a fairly large margin, but guess what, Bruce's "Bunker Ball" (even though it wasn't a complete bunker, just a defensive oriented style) got us a point out of that game, you know what happens if we go out gung-ho in that game attacking? S. Korea kills us 3-0, we finish with 3 points in the group, and Portugal advances, and soccer doesn't get the boost of the WC quarterfinals that was so badly needed.....
    Also, do we hold onto that Portugal lead if we don't bunker?

22. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

We didnt have a big problem with posession until Reyna left the game.

23. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Re: The defense was not our problem

Well, no, in that when Reyna was in there your posessions were more effective. But Brazil still had the ball significantly more than the US.

Does make a huge difference though.

24. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Scale 1-10

Keller 6.5 (would be higher, but couldn't hold onto tough, but playable balls late)

Boca 7.5

Gibbs 7

US currently has no defenders (Pope included) that coulda shut down some of the moves the Brazilians put on. Given lack of mid support, defense got them to 88' minute for shut-out...that's darn good...even against Brazil's B team. Class header by Boca. Gibbs/Boca should be given run-out as starting defensive duo going forward. (assuming Gibbs can maintain good form in Germany at decent level). They play well togther, although they obviously much yet to learn. Should be good enough for region, though.

Hedjuk 6

Frankie played as well as he is capable IMO. Some glaring mistakes, but he's Frankie. Great commitment and fitness

Convey 5

Looked good going forward. Not solid enough defensively to play left back spot

Lewis 4.5

A few good moments, but seemed to disappear much of match. Early shot (had he scored) woulda changed match

Reyna 6.5

Reyna exudes class out there, and one doesn't appreciate his touch unless live. His 3/4 running style seems awkward, but he still keeps pace with play, and plays numerous quick one-touch, and/or unortodox balls that create possibilities. Early yellow card (overreaction by ref) was well-handled by Claudio through out- it coulda taken a lesser head "out" of his game

Mastro 6.5

Mastro is an enigma. Superb one-v-one defensive skills on occasion, and almost arrogent (in a good way) recovery skills (a la vs. Germany in World Cup). But why does he have to "recover"? Because he gets casual/lazy to the spot at times. Mastro also recently has exhibited an "one 'oops' pass a game" tendency which is scary because he frequently does it in a dangerous part of field. Mastro needs to go overseas, IMO, for MLS' lower level is keeping him from ironing out lazy spots in his game.

Both Mastro and Reyna added nice calm/patience US game....not ironic that this was missing after Reyna left, and Mastro too tired to chase

Stewart 3.5

Earnie had the worst 30 minutes in a Nat uniform I can ever remember, and basically looked like an A-league player. It wasn't even a matter of touch, he also did some unforgiveable mistakes (trying to shield ball from one Brazilian defender while running right into another defender...the play had absolutely no place to go). Great pass to Mathis late in 1st half led to a pretty uneventful 2nd half for Earnie. His great contribution to Nat team over last decade is in danger of being lost if we don't get him out of their soon.

Donovan 4.5

Another player that needs to leave MLS pronto. Some lazy passes (slow thought) that are a direct result of slowing-thinking MLS habits vs. top level football. Occasion moments, but overall weak performance. Disturbing tendency (I've noticed) is his inability to recognize availabe shots outside box, and maybe just as bad, his inability to strike them well. Is becoming a "only near the goal" type scorer.

McBride Inc.

Mathis 3.5

I was at one time Clint biggest fan. Either the knee never recovered, or he went partying on South Beach last few days, but it is sad to compare Clint of 2001 to this version. His touch was atrocious. Little commitment to anything not within 5 yards of him. Clint needs to look in mirror and decide if he really wants it or not. Speed of game is passing him by.

Finally, I think Bruce shoulda packed it in with 20-25 minutes left....team was spread way too far on pitch, so I give him a low-grade for strategy when it counted (2nd half). 1st half- team played well, and had right strategy on a hot, steamy night.

Bruce 4.5

25. zcgf02

zcgf02 New Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Houston
    Keller: A- Keller seemed in command of his box most of the night. Most of the saves he made were rather routine since the Brazilians were shooting from outside the box. Bummer about the two late goals.

Convey: B- He looked really jumpy early (can you blame him?) but settled down. I didn't notice too many attacks down his side. He also hustled all night.

Boca: A MOTM What a badass. He busted his ass all night, breaking up attacks, supported his team mates, made good passes, scored a goal, then played forward after he (apparently) started cramping. Can we transplant his heart into Mathis' body?

Gibbs: B+ Also played well in the middle and showed exceptional ability to read passes and intercept them. He and Boca (until the end) kept Brazil at bay much of the match, forcing the aforementioned long-range, low-percentage shots.

Hejduk: B Same ol' Frankie. Club footed but with a relentless work rate.

Lewis: B Was in and out of the match... not up to the level we had recently become accostumed to.

Reyna: B+ Did well to control our midfield (when we actually had the ball in our possession) and set up Boca perfectly with that free kick. Wish he could have played a full 90 but that will come soon enough.

Mastro: B Was a terror most of the match but jawed at the ref too much and seemed to run out of gas at the end of the game.

Stewart: C- I think Earnie is one of the best, most classy players to every wear the US uniform. He was clutch in 94 and during qualifying in 2001. But he just doesn't look like his old self out there. That bums me out.

McBride: Inc. Seemed to be having a good game. Was it really only a cut over the eye? It looked much worse.

Donovan: B+ He really struggled once McBride went out but he still hustled and tried to hold the front third of the field together for us. Unfortunately he didn't have any help from...

Mathis: F In 2001, I would move to the edge of my seat when Clint got to the ball because he was such an exciting, dynamic player. Last night I covered my eyes. As someone else mentioned, Donovan was charging down the left side late in the game and Clint got caught offside. Lazy. Also twice late in the game, when we were nursing our lead and trying to bleed the clock, he had the ball in the Brazilian end and gave it away foolishly. Where have you gone Clint Mathis? A soccer nation turns its lonely eyes to you...

Mulrooney: C+ Seemed out of depth, despite his fresh legs and recent good form with SJ.

Beasley: C I'm hoping that Beasley looked so bad out there because he's still injured (although I'm not hoping he's badly injured). He looked totally unlike the Run DMB we've seen lately who has made a habit or giving other teams fits.

Looking over my grades, the three subs all got C's or less. I guess that's why we lost at the end of the game.