[R] U.S.-CAN post-match 5.10.08

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Bonnie Lass, May 10, 2008.

1. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    OK then... good tip. I did not know this. :D

2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Pia Sundhage is actually using Kai properly - as a striker. Kai is not a "forward", she doesn't play off of other players. She's a finisher, a goalhanger. Possibly the best pure striker the WNT has had since Debbie Keller.

Sundhage puts Kai in situations where she can succeed. Ryan tried to shoe-horn Kai into the "traditional" USWNT role of playing off of her strike partner.

3. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    I think Kai has been great as well, although I think some of the greatest credit goes to Wambach. She is creating the opportunities up there and has had to sacrifice some of the glory of being the big goal scorer to make this new system work. She assisted in almost every goal in D.C. Her whole game has gotten better. The interesting thing is that even with less shots I think she is more dangerous then ever. With her skill set, experience, confidence, and the fact that you do not know what her next more will be, be it a shot or pass, she has really taken her game to a new level.

4. abby2004

abby2004 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 25, 2005
    East Coast
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you 100% on how much Wambachs game has improved this year. Being at the game on Saturday it seemed to me that she was all over the place and creating many chances for her teammates to score. Several players stood out for me during the game. Rampone, Kai, Chalupny, Mitts and Abby really had a good game. The whole team looked very comfortable with the ball on their feet compare to the last game and during the world cup.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Come to think of it, you're right.

6. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    kai simply seems to be playing under control now. she is not just all speed and strength. before she was an athlete. now she strikes me as a soccer player, using bursts of speed to her advantage, and pulling the ball back and passing it off to another player in a better position on other occasions.

with regard to this game, kudos to the team, and i'm sorry that it didn't see it. but i'm always wary of a game where the opponents don't give us any opposition to speak of. i want to see this new system against teams that will pressure our passing the ball around in the middle and back and that know what to do with the ball if they win it from us in those positions. only brazil, north korea and germany seem to be able to do that. so i'm looking forward to the peace cup and tempering my excitement.

7. gogogo

gogogo Member

Apr 18, 2002
    In the days since the match I've had similar thoughts. Also, viewing the highlights reinforces my impression that Canada GK McLeod had a spotty game (although she had a couple of good plays, and even a hot keeper would not have bottled up the Nats completely).

But this game showed that the team is catching on to Pia's offensive ideas and that the D can get itself organized. How they execute against stiffer/quicker competition is the next question.

8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    US Soccer has put up a new clip from the game. It sort of gives you a look at it from another perspective with a little behind the scenes action.